What's new

Acousticsamples releases the B-5 Organ

Raindog

This thread got me thinking a bit, and i believe there is a pretty good solution to the "too much ambient" of the B-5, there should be a new version out by the end of the day with control over that room effect ;)

Great news. Í must admit, that Piet´s thoughts and comments (although they sometimes can be a bit poisonous if you´re the target :cool:) do often make people think. Well done Piet. Thank you.

Ashermusic

Piet and I have heatedly squabbled over the years but he has ears like a bat. He hears flaws that sometimes I simply do not so his input is always worth reading.

Raindog

I tried this just now with a basic 4/4. The trouble with Hammonds is that on a weight actioned keyboard your fingers just stick to the keys. Almost impossible I find. Couldn't keep in time or anything. Can't do the whooshes either on a weight actioned. You really need a Waterfall. This is distorted all to hell and all over the place. Fun though. :grin:

The waterfall Keyboard is basically to make these palm glides possible without being caught by one of the keys. A good synth keyboard (I still have my Ensoniq ASR 10) does the Job repetitionwise pretty well (besides the palm thing I mentioned). Same thing when triggering drumsamples btw. My hammer action keyboard makes my mediocre timing when playing drums unbearable.......

DJorge

ok
Piet and I have heatedly squabbled over the years but he has ears like a bat. He hears flaws that sometimes I simply do not so his input is always worth reading.
ok! because this is my first experience with him and i was getting nervous. Much respect! I'm putting my gun back into the holster... lol
"Hey Peat! Pleasure to meet you, Sir!"

OP
A

AcousticsampleS

And the update is online ;) Just download the same file from your account (same link), i did not increase the version number.
The sound by default is the same (for compatibility issues), but if you go in the speaker prefs panel, you will see a "distance" knob at the bottom right that will take care of that ambient sound ;)

DJorge

And the update is online ;) Just download the same file from your account (same link), i did not increase the version number.
The sound by default is the same (for compatibility issues), but if you go in the speaker prefs panel, you will see a "distance" knob at the bottom right that will take care of that ambient sound ;)
i see the distance knob! Thank you very much!

owenave

Heh! I wanted to take Jon Lord's place.

It's a sound that relies on many different external factors, such as amplification. It doesnt just happen in the Hammond. C3 was Lord's weapon of choice.

What is the VB3 btw... who makes it, haven't tried it.

Yeah I like that Deep Purple overdriven C3 sound. I think Jon used a Marshal Amp head to drive his leslie which probably had non stock Horn driver and 15" speaker. It gives drive during Rock songs. I used to use it when I played with Iron Butterfly 99-2005 to make the songs
Drive and rock harder. Which required really cranking the B3... first thing I would do
is walk over to the Leslie that was provided by back line and Crank the volume.
Nice thing about newer B3 emulations is you can do it at a decent volume level without
having to fry yours and everyone else ears ... lol.
Is there any trials that you can download of the B5 for a time limited trial so one could check
it out before buying. I Really love the sound I got out of The Native Instruments B4II but they discontinued it and is just 32 bit.I have to use VEP5 to be able to use it. I even emailed the Native Instruments and they told me to buy the Vintage Organs collection which sucked compared, no where near the amount of parameters of the B4II. I like that on B4II you can adjust the volume of the percussion not just soft or normal. The harmonics of the Percussion are not stuck with just the 2 & 3 harmonic. it goes from 1/2 all the way to 8. Also there is a depth control knob for the Vibrato. There is a selection where you can choose which Hammond you are using from Pure ... to Dirty ... to Trashy to create the sound of B3's that are older and noisy contacts on the keys.
I would not take it personal comments that people make about the B5 and take it as a learning curve. B3 players are very passionate about their sound. Those who used the real thing for year.
Just like a guitar player might be passionate about a Strat or a Les Paul.

owenave

Heh! I wanted to take Jon Lord's place.

It's a sound that relies on many different external factors, such as amplification. It doesnt just happen in the Hammond. C3 was Lord's weapon of choice.
Carmine Appice tried to get me in Deep Purple when I was leaving Iron Butterfly, he called them but I missed getting the gig by a couple days. That would have been a great band to play with. Their new album a couple years ago "Now What?" for me really gets back to the original sound and feel of Deep Purple.

owenave

Here is some Hammond Organ trivia for you. Do you know why they designed
the full back on the C3 after the B3 was already being used?
Well they said that churches was complaining that people could see up the
lady Organist at the church with the B3. So the designed the C3 with the full back.

Baron Greuner

What is the VB3 btw... who makes it, haven't tried it.

Yeah I like that Deep Purple overdriven C3 sound. I think Jon used a Marshal Amp head to drive his leslie which probably had non stock Horn driver and 15" speaker. It gives drive during Rock songs. I used to use it when I played with Iron Butterfly 99-2005 to make the songs
Drive and rock harder. Which required really cranking the B3... first thing I would do

Yes that's right Larry. I used a variety of on stage amplification in my day, ranging from two Leslie's and Marshall stacks/JBL. Later the Marshalls would take on a Moog. Deep Purple already had their current player lined up way back to the 90s I believe but nothing was concrete I guess, until later on.
VB3 is a plugin.
Emerson I think used to have things changed in his Hammonds. Like the contacts if I remember correctly. I was around Brian Davisons (Blinky) place one evening and was talkng about that to him but I can't remember what was said, long time ago.
Not a bad instrument when you think its target audience was the church and it was designed by a clock maker who just happened to be a genius with the creation of the tone wheel generator.

Last edited:

owenave

Yes that's right Larry. I used a variety of on stage amplification in my day, ranging from two Leslie's and Marshall stacks/JBL. Later the Marshalls would take on a Moog. Deep Purple already had their current player lined up way back to the 90s I believe.
VB3 is a plugin.
Emerson I think used to have things changed in his Hammonds. Like the contacts if I remember correctly. I was around Brian Davisons (Blinky) place one evening and was talkng about that to him but I can't remember what was said, long time ago.
Not a bad instrument when you think its target audience was the church and it was designed by a clock maker who just happened to be a genius with the creation of the tone wheel generator.
Kerry Livegren of Kansas past... has a B3 that was custom made for the band "Blood Rock" from the late 60's 70's. It had one set of drawbars that you could use for tuning the percussion. His is the only one I have seen that was like that.

chimuelo

Star Of Stage & Screen
Best sampled Hammond I ever heard.
VB3 was OK too.
But they both miss the electro mechanical aspects, and Leslie sound.
But run this through some DSP plug ins and a Neo Vent and it might take care of that.
Usually samples lose the additive synthesis aspects when ganging drawbars together, but not so here.

Owenave. You want to give Carmine a message pm me.
Be hanging with him in Vegas after Memorial weekend. Then off to Sweden.

BTW I loved the Bloodrock Hammond.
I do Midwest tributes with nothing but ARP Moog Oberheim and Hammond sounds.
Nothing but Purple, Uriah, Kansas, Bloodrock, Argent, Boston, ELP and Yes.
Wine, Women and song, all summer long.

But I use the HX-3...
This is the ultimate programmable FPGA Hammond.
UVI Whoops HX-3 in price though.

00270001.JPG

NYC Composer

I had the poor man's solution-an M-1. However, I also had a locally built custom Leslie cabinet with two rotating horns and a 2 4x15 bottoms, powere by a crappy Peavey 800 watt amp. It was screaming loud (we played clubs!), but not exactly pristine. The guy who made the Leslie thingie used dual McIntosh heads (made in my hometown of Binghamton, NY).

JT3_Jon

Do you think the B5 would be a first choice for heavy, cut through a dense mix, bitey, Prog Rock organ? I'm currently using a combination of NI B4 (32-bit makes it a pain) Logics organ (Mainstage routing for Cubase makes it a pain) & Omnisphere with lots of extra processing. Would love to ditch all three, but judging from the demos the B5 does sound great in jazz, funk, gospel, and "A whiter shade of pale" style organ, but I haven't heard it do rock yet, and without a playable demo to test it would be too much of a risk to buy it and find out it doesn't suit my needs. Someone in gearslutz recommended VB3 over the B5 for more aggressive rock sounds, but I dont want to deal with another 32bit plugin.

Off the top of my head some quick examples of organ sounds I'm looking for:
(you would think this styx sound would be an easy thing to get, but I've tried and I can get close but never quite as good and I dont know why)

Here is an example of a current organ sound. Could the B5 improve it? http://www.aeonsatori.com/ep1.html (jump to 2:20ish for it exposed)

Will try to find more examples once I get some sleep. Should probably stop reading VI-control before bed as it keeps me up listening to organs, haha!

Last edited:

EvilDragon

KSP Wizard
Yes, VB3 IMHO does have more "ballz" in its tube amp emulation, B5 distortion sounds more shrill than powerful (hopefully a matter of tweaking, but out of the box, VB3 just has THAT sound). And it's 64-bit on Windows.

JT3_Jon

I'm a mac guy. Is there any hope that the VB3 will ever go 64bit mac? Also has anyone tried running the B5 through something like Melda's Vintage Rotary and use the drive there? Or add their own 3rd party distortion?

SPOTS

I read on another forum from the graphics designer guy that he delivered all final graphics for the VB3 v.2 (64-bit) a little while ago. But the project seems to be frozen since.

chimuelo

Star Of Stage & Screen
B5 has a developer in this thread listening.
Guido is making hardware now.
Waste of time feeding a dead horse with VB3.
Stay with this guy.
But if you want ALL of those of Hammond sounds just break down and buy the HX-3.

But the B5 has a great start.
Developer has big ears and immediate support.
I would watch this product for a while since he seems happy to help.

Extended release samples would really help out for glissandos.
VB3 is awful on glissandos.
I often had velocity fixed at 127 just to avoid audible dropouts.

I'm playing a new Hammond B3 with a 122 Leslie.
I think it sounds Japanese.
You just can't get that big ASS and Balls sound.
Hence I refer to them as 2 cycle Hammonds.
Plus you can't get pitch bend power downs, it weighs half of the original.
I told the guys at Meyers to save their money.

Top Bottom