AcousticSamples guitar libraries: what are you experiences?

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by RobbertZH, Mar 26, 2019.

1. RobbertZH

RobbertZH Member

Mar 20, 2013
    Currently the AcousticSamples guitar libraries (containing both acoustic and electric guitars) are on offer.
    Except for the videos and demos offered by the manufacturer and resaler, you can find little independent reviews on youtube (especially on the electric guitar libraries).

Do you already own some of them and what are you experiences with it?
    Maybe also compared to other guitar libraries which you may have.
    How is the variety of sounds and strumming/fingerpicking patterns
    and ease-to-use to create realistic backing parts and lead solo parts?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

2. R. Soul

R. Soul Senior Member

Jan 7, 2006
    London, UK
    I have Sunbird and Strategy.

I don't care for patterns as they rarely fit the track I'm working on.
    They are however, super easy to manually strum, and sounds more realistic than other guitar plugins I've used - Orange tree, Pettinhouse, Musiclab.

For lead parts they are ok, but not as good as Orange tree.

3. dariusofwest

dariusofwest Active Member

Apr 21, 2006
    I have Sunbird, GD-6 and Telematic. I use all three for manually strumming and Orange Tree guitars for leads. I found all of AcousticSamples's guitars to be very easy to pick up and play + sound really nice with added amp simulation.

4. Raindog

Raindog Senior Member

Oct 30, 2006
    If you´re intersted in the 99$ offer don´t hesitate. Unfortunately, I already have 3 of the 4 guitars so the deal is not for me. Excellent guitar sound and one of the best if not the best strumming engines out there.

5. rrichard63

rrichard63 Perpetual Novice

Nov 17, 2013
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Unless then one you don't have is the Telematic, you can get it for $65, about 57% off. I don't have Strategy and am seriously considering this, in spite of the number of Strat libraries I do have.

Raindog likes this.
  6. Raindog

Raindog Senior Member

Oct 30, 2006
    I actually just bought strategy for the reduced price. I actully didn´t want to but I just did.....Sample guitar addict that I am

7. OP
    OP
    RobbertZH

RobbertZH Member

Mar 20, 2013
    Thanks for all the replies.

We all know that problem. I am guilty of that also. :)

I already own multiple acoustic and electric guitar libraries of other manufacturers.
    Do the AcousticSamples provide easier playability and/or realism of sound and result?
    Or should I stick to the ones I already have and really start learning to use them to get more realistic results (which is possible as they often have realistic sounding demos).

I do like to improvise, therefore I like to be able to easily switch between various strum or finger picking patterns through multiple keyswitches.

Sometimes however I find that certain libraries (from other manufacturers) contain to little pattern variations in a certain style and as a result my song becomes to static as one or two nice-sounding patterns repeat through my whole song.

I guess that you need at least 5 patterns for a typical songwriting piece, e.g. an intro pattern, an ending pattern, one or more patterns for a verse, one or more patterns for the chorus, yet another one for the bridge. Some patterns should be variations, one less busy and another more busy (to build-up energy during the flow of the song) and then you need patterns that are more different from each other to get clear differentation between the song parts (verse, chorus, bridge).

Does the AcousticSamples guitar libraries offer that amount of patterns within a certain style?

When I want total control and flexibility, I play the strums or fingerpicking myself. I see in the videos that AcousticSamples guitar libraries have the same functionality as RealGuitar, namely the ability to play a chord and then fingerpick or strum each of the 6 strings (of that chord) by playing 6 keys, which I like very much.

Given the previous replies, strumming (patterns or playing it yourself) seems the strong point of the AcousticSamples libraries.

How does the solo lead guitar compare with other libraries? What does Orange Tree (as mentioned twice in the replies) do better? Is it the actual sound or is it easier to play realistic solo lead parts?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
  8. constaneum

constaneum Senior Member

yea. They're better with strumming than as a lead. Sort of reminds me of RealGuitar's strumming. loving them.

9. Fleer

Fleer Senior Member

Dec 12, 2014
    Boston/Cambridge
    Love these AcousticSamples guitars. Second only to OrangeTreeSamples.

chasmanian likes this.
  10. TigerTheFrog

TigerTheFrog I'm supposed to be working now.

Nov 18, 2016
    Brooklyn, NY
    The sound of these libraries is very good, but I include guitars in my music all the time and never use any of them, because I have other libraries I like better.

I believe that if you take the money from this bundle and put it towards any guitar library by Orange Tree Samples, AmpleSound, Ilya Efimov, or Indiginus, you will get more joy. For fingerpicking these days, Realitone's Fingerpick 2.0 is the best choice. Just my two cents.

11. Fleer

Fleer Senior Member

Dec 12, 2014
    Boston/Cambridge
    Good choices, TTF.
    Me, I’m a stickler for UVI’s straightforwardness.

chasmanian and TigerTheFrog like this.
  12. TigerTheFrog

Nov 18, 2016
    Brooklyn, NY
    I'll be honest and say that writing this will cause me to go back and give all these libraries a second chance. I remember liking the sound of Sunbird a lot. Maybe I just find the other libraries more intuitively playable. AAS's Strum GS-2 is probably the easiest for me to play, but it's not all that realistic. I really enjoy playing the guitars in HALion with the Flex Phrasers, but they don't seem to be as tempo-synched as the AcousticSamples and others.

So many guitar VIs, so little time. And my four real guitars, which I spent decades learning to play, sit gathering dust. :whistling:

Fleer likes this.
  13. Fleer

Fleer Senior Member

Dec 12, 2014
    Boston/Cambridge
    Five dust collectors over here :thumbsdown:

chasmanian and TigerTheFrog like this.
  14. OP
    OP
    RobbertZH

RobbertZH Member

Mar 20, 2013
    Thanks for all the replies.

One question remains:

Concerning the strum or fingerpicking patterns, do the AcousticSamples libraries contain sufficient amount of patterns within one style to accompany a full song?

I guess that you need at least 5 patterns (preferable 10 patterns) within a certain style, for a typical songwriting piece, e.g. an intro pattern, an ending pattern, one or more patterns for a verse, one or more patterns for the chorus, yet another one for the bridge. Some patterns should be variations, one less busy and another more busy (to build-up energy during the flow of the sections of the song) and then you need patterns that are more different from each other to get clear differentation between the song sections (verse, chorus, bridge).

Does the AcousticSamples guitar libraries offer that amount of patterns within a certain style?

15. Morodiene

Morodiene Senior Moment

Dec 21, 2015
    I'm actually in search of a classical or flamenco guitar vi. Would any of the ones mentioned here be good for that?

16. TigerTheFrog

Nov 18, 2016
    Brooklyn, NY
    I don't know of any guitar UI that offers patterns set up like drum programs. They usually just give your variations. The AcousticSamples guitars have variations for Reggae, Bossa, Funk, Pop, etc, but mostly they are listed as Picking 1,2,3,4,5, etc. and Strumming 1,2,3,4... You might find something like that in UJAM's 4 guitars--you can get free demos HERE.

AmpleSound patterns are set up more under genres than AcousticSamples ones are. You can get the free Ample Guitar M Lite HERE (and a great electric bass freebie too) and see if it is close to what you're looking for. Even though it is an LE, I like it more than my AcousticSamples acoustic guitar libraries.

Again, if you're looking for fingerpicking, I think that Realitone's FingerPick 2.0 kind of owns that area, and with the recent update it has steel and nylon guitars.

AcousticSamples has 5 gipsy strums. If you want flamenco, EastWest's Gypsy is the best I know of. Check out the videos. HALion has quite a few spanish and flamenco Flex Phraser patterns that work on all its guitars and other instruments.

Morodiene likes this.
  17. TigerTheFrog

Nov 18, 2016
    Brooklyn, NY
    Also, I did use some flamenco patterns on a short once (never finished), and I got some great stuff from this Loopmasters set It's expensive, but I got it for around $12 during one of their sales. Even if you play your own guitar music in, it's great to have authentic castanets, taconeo, etc.

Morodiene likes this.
  18. Morodiene

Morodiene Senior Moment

Dec 21, 2015
    It seems like this is more just loops - or can I customize the notes the guitar plays? I do like the percussion in there.

19. TigerTheFrog

Nov 18, 2016
    Brooklyn, NY
    No, you can't change the guitars. It is just a loop library. I dragged the folders of percussion stuff into Kontakt to make them easy to play.

I do admit that the variety of guitar loops greatly influenced what I came up with for my guitar part.

20. Raindog

Raindog Senior Member

Oct 30, 2006
    You can play Flamenco Style with these libraries no doubt, but the 2 acoustic guitars are steel strings. For Flamenco you´d need a nylon guitar. So the nylons from Ilya Efimov or OrangeTree Samples might be better and more realistic choices.
    Best regards
    Raindog

Morodiene likes this.