What's new

Acoustic guitar test - £100, £400, £1000+ - a quick comparison video

Ozzie

Hi all,

A few of my friends have been asking what is the benefit of spending more money on quality instruments - apart from the fact that it is fun!

So I recorded three acoustic guitars - one is a £100 Tanglewood, another is a £400 Freshman, and the third is a £1,000+ Martin.

It's interesting to hear the recorded difference between the guitars. There was definitely a difference in the feel - the Martin was light years ahead of the others.

What does everything think of the sound? I appreciate it is entirely subjective, and depends largely on how the instrument will feature in the context of a mix, but it's still an interesting comparison. I didn't change mic/position at all, to make it fair. Obviously in a recording you'd make the adjustments to get the best out of each instrument, but as a straightforward a, b, c comparison, I think it does the job.

Be interesting to hear people's thoughts...

A bit confused tbh. Are we hearing the camera mic or the stuff recorded into cubase?
rsp

Why do you make the videos you put on YouTube?
For no reason other than I enjoy doing it - I'm working on several feature/short films, so if I can share anything that will help others I will. I've recorded conversations with directors, actors, other musicians - none of it life changing, but may help someone.

Nice one Ozzie. The body, resonances and sustain really increase as you go through the 3 guitars. It's made me want a Martin Acoustic even more now! Thanks for your work.

Ha ha - yes, he was very enthusiastic at the start, but got bored quickly!
Thanks Ozzie for the good job, and a big hello to Harvey the "boy nice with his dad, even if his dad is a musician(very very strange people:shocked:)...

I have a cheap Yamaha acoustic which I compared with some expensive ones at the local music store...My guitar started sounding almost obnoxious with loud strumming patterns, unlike more expensive guitars (Martin, Larrivee) which sounded very warm and had lots of sustain. Can't really complain though, I got mine for free. :roflmao:

Top Bottom