What's new

Acoustic and MIDI Orchestration for the Contemporary Composer

[link deleted by moderator]

Nice books for rookies.
" if this isn't the appropriate place to post it do let me know"
Regards Norman!

Sharing a commercial product in its full form is considered piracy, which is not tolerated here.
For those interested in reading the book, it's available for purchase on https://www.amazon.com/Acoustic-MIDI-Orchestration-Contemporary-Composer/dp/0240520211 (Amazon)

Samuel Adler's book (3rd edition) is one. I'll check the details when it's daylight, as I don't like turning lights on and off at night and wasting electricity.

Last edited:
The third book is Paul Gilreath's "The Guide to MIDI Orchestration," in its fourth edition since 2010. It costs a bit under $80 new. I first bought the 2nd edition; this version is a big improvement, as it is organized better, goes into more detail, and uses fewer quickly-outdated computer visuals from ancient applications and libraries.

Last edited:
The Adler book isn't really a MIDI book like the other two, but has long been recognized as a standard. It's very helpful to cross-reference this book when reading through the other two.

Samuel Adler's "The Study of Orchestration" released a fourth edition in 2016, along with a separate Workbook (there was one for the 3rd edition as well, but I didn't know about it until just now). Quite expensive, as always.

Amazon product ASIN 0393600521

Amazon product ASIN 0393283178

It has 200 more pages than the previous edition, and the workbook is 250+ pages.

[ I wasn't expecting those links to show up with images and prices; not sure if that's forbidden. I'll try to see if there's another way to embed those links that make them less "commercial", but no matter how I enter them as URL's with full HTTPS links, this forum is replacing those with direct media links and previews.]

No preview available, so I can't compare contents to see what's new, but user reviews have some caveats about the removal of the previous CD and its replacement with web access that is only good for a year and which costs $40 to maintain annually thereafter. Some recommend finding the third book used (if it still has its CD) and that the fourth edition isn't proof-read very well.

Last edited:
There is a 2nd edition of the first book mentioned, published in 2016.

Amazon product ASIN 113880150X

It is now 400 pages versus the original 312 pages, as well as only being $12 versus $21 for the original edition.

[ I wasn't expecting that link to show up with images and prices; not sure if that's forbidden. I'll try to see if there's another way to embed that link that make it less "commercial", but no matter how I enter it as a URL with full HTTPS link, this forum is replacing it with a direct media link and preview. ]

I'm ordering my copy now.

My 2nd edition arrived today. It's a bit late at night for me to have the energy and concentration for a detailed comparison, but just looking at the table of contents, the most obvious difference is that the new edition adds two new chapters: one for vocal ensembles, and the other for different sized ensembles of various mixtures.

Top Bottom