What's new

About to buy UVI Falcon. Any advice / warnings?

Pier

This is a bit quiet, so you may need to turn it up.

I made this by playing my own patch, Nuns in Bee, on Falcon that I made with Public Domain samples. So, this is just me recorded playing live with that patch.

I had to remove the music from the nuns singing, and tidy up that sample as well as I could (it's from a shellac record from 1926) before moving to Falcon.
Jesus what is that thing that sounds like a... distorted whale singing? It's fantastic!

OP
R. Naroth

R. Naroth

I'm seriously considering Falcon again but this worries me a bit.

I don't have much sample content (that I have recorded myself) and AFAIK most (all?) sample libraries do not allow to use samples to transform and resell as new libraries.

I'd be limited to recording random stuff at home, straight from my DAW machine. I don't have a portable recorder nor access to a remotely decent recording room for musicians.

@timprebble do the license of your sound libraries allow for transformation and reselling?
Please only take my comments for what it is worth. I have not spent as much time as possible with Falcon mainly because my day job is killing me these days.

Falcon lets you create as many layers with as many oscillators/effects/mods as you need. The factory wavetable oscillators can get you quite far and Falcon ships with hundreds of these. Falcon is like a large buffet and one with the most flexible, modular, unlimited architecture with a friendly UI I have even seen in a synth. Maybe, Phaseplant comes close but I don't have it. Reaktor is too complex.

My comments come from my familiarity with ZebraHZ when it comes to pure synthesis. While Zebra is great, it is still limiting in the number of osc/filter/modulations available. One thing I really miss in Falcon that is not are those ultra musical Zebra Comb filters.

For what it does Falcon is totally worth the price. I am quite happy with it.

Pier

Yeah, RX isn't cheap like Falcon is...
The RX Elements version is on sale now at $49 with a bundle of other products.

Do you think it'd be good enough?

I used RX (v1 I think?) 10 years ago to clean TV dialogues and it was already great.

Bee_Abney

I used RX (v1 I think?) 10 years ago to clean TV dialogues and it was already great.
I think you'd want to get a version with Music Rebalance, which makes isolating vocals incredibly easy. Though there are other plugins that can do that. Elements, I think, is missing some important vocal tools, but it certainly would do a lot for other samples. I don't think de-essing is in elements, either; but as far as I can tell, de-essing is just localised EQ. A good transient shaper plus EQ should help with that. (Indeed, I really want to get Quantum by Wavesfactory to help with tasks like this.)

Elements is a worthwhile purchase if you want to get into samples; and then you can watch for upgrades in sales if you want more options. A lot of the effects you need would be spread across a range of mixing and mastering plugins, so you may already have a lot.

Bee_Abney

This might be of interest; though I wouldn't rush. This is a bit cheaper than usual for RX8 Standard as a license transfer; but these things come around again.

rrichard63

Perpetual Novice

RX Elements is sometimes offered for $19 and/or as part of an Elements bundle at an even greater discount.

Pier

I think you'd want to get a version with Music Rebalance, which makes isolating vocals incredibly easy. Though there are other plugins that can do that. Elements, I think, is missing some important vocal tools, but it certainly would do a lot for other samples. I don't think de-essing is in elements, either; but as far as I can tell, de-essing is just localised EQ. A good transient shaper plus EQ should help with that. (Indeed, I really want to get Quantum by Wavesfactory to help with tasks like this.)

Elements is a worthwhile purchase if you want to get into samples; and then you can watch for upgrades in sales if you want more options. A lot of the effects you need would be spread across a range of mixing and mastering plugins, so you may already have a lot.

I'd just use RX to simply remove noise and hums. I'm guessing Elements can do that?

I own Pro-Q3 which should be plenty for de-essing and other duties with the dynamic EQ.

Saturn by FF is also an amazing transient shaper when you use the modulators. See this video by Dan Worral at around 4:00 where he demonstrate the envelope followers:

BTW Wavesfactory are from my home town (Mallorca) although I do not know them personally :)

Bee_Abney

RX Elements is sometimes offered for $19 and/or as part of an Elements bundle at an even greater discount.
Very good point. It's in the Holiday Bundle Gold at the moment for £41.99 including UK tax - so probably that's cheaper than buying it individually. And it is sometimes cheaper still.

Bee_Abney

I'd just use RX to simply remove noise and hums. I'm guessing Elements can do that?

I own Pro-Q3 which should be plenty for de-essing and other duties with the dynamic EQ.

Saturn by FF is also an amazing transient shaper when you use the modulators. See this video by Dan Worral at around 4:00 where he demonstrate the envelope followers:

BTW Wavesfactory are from my home town (Mallorca) although I do not know them personally :)
Elements can do that.

RX Elements features​

• Repair Assistant​

• De-hum [IMPROVED]​

• De-click​

• De-clip​

• Voice De-noise​

• Spectrogram View​

• View/edit up to 32 files [NEW]​

Bee_Abney

Ah, Saturn 2 and FabFilter generally! Something else I aspire to get my grubby (because I totally haven't been in any communal showers) paws on.

Bee_Abney

Haha nice.

Do all your custom patches include such cute references?

I must admit, a lot of mine have rather juvenile names that me and my 13 year old inner-self find humorous...

Since it's a 'my eyes only' kind of thing :emoji_man:

Half of me is slightly ashamed of this. The other half will never stop laughing at butt jokes.
Keep on doing it! One day, future (possibly alien, possibly AI) archaeolgists will giggle themselves silly over it.

The nuns song (Oh Little Town of Bethlehem) really was in B!

Top Bottom