Ableton Live via Rewire

Discussion in 'Your DAW (Digital Audio Workstation)' started by jononotbono, Mar 25, 2019.

1. jononotbono

jononotbono Luke Johnson

So I’ve been thinking about turning an overclocked quadcore PC with a max of 32gb of RAM into a synth and drum/perc Slave using Ableton live and rewire to connect to my host DAW (Cubase). Anybody doing this? I see a lot of people loving Ableton for percussion (wondering what it is that can’t be done in Cubase) and the thought of having CPU hungry soft synths off my main Machine feels like a good idea.

What does Ableton offer than can’t be done in Cubase? Thanks

2. samphony

samphony Senior Member

Nov 19, 2013
    Jono rewire only works if a supported software is running on the same machine. If Live is rewired into the DAW, Ableton Live can’t use vst fx and instruments when in rewire mode.

If you want to use live on a dedicated machine you can use midi over lan and an Audio interface or Dante VIA Software.
    https://audinate.com/products/software/dante-via

jononotbono likes this.
  3. samphony

samphony Senior Member

Nov 19, 2013
    You can do everything in cubase. But Live and Bitwig have a pattern based approach the is ideal for loop based production. It’s workflow is fast and intuitive but not necessary to have.

On the other hand it might let you achieve certain edits over multiple tracks quicker instead of cluttering your cubase project page.

jononotbono likes this.
  4. gsilbers

gsilbers Part of Pulsesetter-Sounds.com

Oct 5, 2008
    Los Angeles
    its workflow with loops and sound design is very cool.

jononotbono likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    jononotbono

jononotbono Luke Johnson

Ok thanks. I didn’t realise. Guess I’ll just run the synths via VEPro and use Ableton on master computer. Kind of like the idea of having a second machine for two people to work at same time (one with headphones) but never mind. If rewire doesn’t work on another machine then that’s fair enough. I’ll look into Dante but it’s probably adding more complexity to what I actually want at the minute.