What's new

Abbey Road Studios Film Scoring Competition Announced!

Yeah was going to say the same actually, haven't read that 'fine print' meself either. For anyone looking to enter the competition though I can't stress enough that you should do this, just to be 100% sure of what you're getting into.

Sadly that was actually a part of one of those contests I entered (the scam one), they gave you like some very basic stems as a starting point for you to write 'around', which I imagine made it easier legally to claim total copyright of the material (which they did once you sent it in), iirc you could make royalties off of it but they retained creative control of the song.

As for the scouting aspect of it, that's a valid point. If you're confident and assertive enough, any door opened is a potential avenue to success. For one thing though, it has to be said you 'probably' won't win - that alone is enough to differentiate it from say, a staff meeting where you present your demos in person to a team. In my experience though it tends to result more than ever these days of studios/producers making low-ball offers to young and/or inexperienced writers who don't yet appreciate the value of their own work. That being said, one does have to start somewhere so I'll grant you this is rather nebulous territory - just don't give your (good) material away for free!

Good luck bro!
Yeah, def never do a competition that wants the copyright, no competition should ever ask for that. Major red flag if you see that! Right to use it to promote the competition (and possible future iterations of said competition) is normal and should be expected, and absolutely nothing beyond that.

I think I’ve seen some remix competitions before, like from MetaPop a few years back. It looked kinda interesting to play around with someone else’s stems in a style I hadn’t messed with before - but yeah, if youreybuilding off of someone’s stems, by definition, you didn’t write 100% of what you’re submitting, automatically.

You probably won’t win ANY given competition. As soon as there’s 3 participants, your odds are already under 50%! ;) Same goes for any pitch, even at an agency you're generally going to be going up against a half dozen other composers (sometimes from within the same agency - after all, the agent gets a cut no matter which of you wins...) but also filmmakers can contact multiple agencies to boot. The only way to sidestep competition is to...be friends with the decider haha.

In order to win the prize, you should be from the UK or the USA, so it seems to be from their Terms and Conditions.

Screenshot (12).png

To each his own, of course, and I wish you well if you decide to pursue it.

I guess I'm not at all unbiased when it comes to these sorts of 'competitions', as I've participated in a few in the past which actually turned out to be scams

I figured out that basically most of these 'contests' are producers of certain studios/projects who are super low on budgets and looking for a cheap way to score high-quality music without having to pay actual royalties or the proper fees for it.

One of them I did back in '13 actually turned out to be a front for a producer trying to promote a band (the 'winners') which was already on his own label :emoji_confounded:
I think he likelihood of competitions being scams increase exponentially when the worker (you) pays the employer (them). In my world the money should flow in the other direction. So I would avoid entry fees unless you know it not to be a scam and its something you really want to do.

Everybody wants to be the next Hans Zimmer, Rihanna, Spielberg, etc. Nobody ever wants to be the next Tony Hershbeck. Tony is the guy who cleans out my septic tank yearly. I wonder if I told Tony he needed to give me a $35 registration fee to enter a contest to see who cleans out my septic tank. :rofl:

My point is there a lot of people wanting to be the next big thing and a lot of scammers willing to take advantage of them.

Back to this contest. I think the prize is fine, and I could use ~$700 USD in spitfire goodies. You can avoid scams by keeping those simple thoughts in your head and think of Tony.. :dancedance:

Last edited:
This is bullshit. They should have written US and UK only in the headline. I bet a lot of people have already startet writing. Exellent move Abbey Road

Nevertheless, there is a "country" option in the participation form. Why could this be?

Attachments

• screen.JPG
    screen.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 18
Meh, i just saw it was only for US and UK resident lol

I just finished up anyway, nothing too complexe :

Interesting take! I'm a bit surprised by how beautiful you went when I think she's supposed to be an unhinged woman who is basically the villain of the movie - but I dig it! Would make it all the more shocking when things get twisted later by not foreshadowing it.

Or conversely, I've totally misunderstood the context and she's not actually the person who's gonna terrorize this family lol.

Interesting take! I'm a bit surprised by how beautiful you went when I think she's supposed to be an unhinged woman who is basically the villain of the movie - but I dig it! Would make it all the more shocking when things get twisted later by not foreshadowing it.

Or conversely, I've totally misunderstood the context and she's not actually the person who's gonna terrorize this family lol.
Oh really ? I didn't even know the script actually haha, just downloaded the video and just make the soundtrack by feelings, inspired by the landscapes and the fact that indeed, it seems that the movie is about religion or something.

I just saw the trailer of the movie and now i'm laughing at it seeing that i'm totally out of the context :emoji_sweat_smile:

Thank you btw :)

hahahaha. Ah well I guess it sorta doesn't matter if you're not eligible anyways. :/ The whole UK/US thing is pretty lame.

Really beautiful cue though!

Top Bottom