What's new

Abbey Road Studios Film Scoring Competition Announced!

Seriously? UK and USA only? Now I'm wondering whether or not it's worth it to finish my submission. I know we're meant to read terms and conditions before entering, but this is kind of a big deal and it would be nice if they put this info on the main page of this competition. And the form still lets you pick any country, which seems pretty disingenuous...

Well I'm Belgian, but f*** the rules, I'm entering anyway! Here's my submission:

I wanted to emphasize the loneliness of Maud, more than the madness-to-come. A religious sound came to mind, but the original composer Adam Janota Bzowski already did that (very well). So I chose a flute for the theme (also as reference to Polanski's similar masterpiece Repulsion).

Well I'm Belgian, but f*** the rules, I'm entering anyway! Here's my submission:

I wanted to emphasize the loneliness of Maud, more than the madness-to-come. A religious sound came to mind, but the original composer Adam Janota Bzowski already did that (very well). So I chose a flute for the theme (also as reference to Polanski's similar masterpiece Repulsion).

very good! I like it.

very good! I like it.
Nice approach for a otherwise dark horror film. Quite beautiful. I am entering myself as I am in the US. My approach was more of a progressive build up and layering of tension with a bit of maniacal motifs on low string sections before exploding into metallic percussion and dissonant sound design sprinklings. I mean, there was very little direction and the scene does not have much to it. So knowing the plot, I treated my cue more as a precursor to the events to come.

Nice approach for a otherwise dark horror film. Quite beautiful. I am entering myself as I am in the US. My approach was more of a progressive build up and layering of tension with a bit of maniacal motifs on low string sections before exploding into metallic percussion and dissonant sound design sprinklings. I mean, there was very little direction and the scene does not have much to it. So knowing the plot, I treated my cue more as a precursor to the events to come.
Sounds promising, I'd like to hear it!
edit: Checked it on your Youtubechannel. Great horror-vibe! Completely the opposite of what I did :)

Last edited:
Ok, I gave it a shot anyway and was able to complete an entry before the deadline. I went into this as blind as possible and didn't familiar myself with the story or music other than what was in the brief on the competition page. (Only checked on the original score just before submitting my entry to make sure I wasn't copying anything. haha) So, I centered the music on the idea that this woman's beliefs are a corruption of something beautiful or at least this scene was at the beginning of that corruption.

For the instruments, I didn't want to choose the standard or traditional sounding "church instruments" given the religious side of the character. Instead, I chose distorted (or "corrupted") versions like a heavily effected organ (from LABS), a "rippled" string/horn section (from SA Aperture) that gave an uneasy feeling, and a choir sound from a pair of Mellotrons (from Logic) panned wide. Even the violins (Violins 1 & 2 from BBCSO Core) are run through fuzz pedals so they didn't stay too clean. Also, I chose NI's Una Corda for the piano sound (with reverse delay and heavy reverb added) because of it's harp-like qualities, but not really fitting the familiar sounds of either a piano or harp.

As for the theme itself, the first thing that came to mind when reading the brief was "the day of judgment is at hand!" So, I had to sneak in some Dies Irae vibes, of course. But since it's my understanding that Maud hadn't turned too dark at this point in the story, I tried to make that impending melody line "pretty" as a symbol of something beautiful before the corruption fully set in. Starting the theme like this would give the theme a chance to turn darker and more "epic" as her story progressed if I were to expand on the theme later on.

Anyway, tell me your thoughts. This is literally the second video clip I've written music for. (The first being the now infamous Westworld Competition. ha)

Ok, I gave it a shot anyway and was able to complete an entry before the deadline. I went into this as blind as possible and didn't familiar myself with the story or music other than what was in the brief on the competition page. (Only checked on the original score just before submitting my entry to make sure I wasn't copying anything. haha) So, I centered the music on the idea that this woman's beliefs are a corruption of something beautiful or at least this scene was at the beginning of that corruption.

For the instruments, I didn't want to choose the standard or traditional sounding "church instruments" given the religious side of the character. Instead, I chose distorted (or "corrupted") versions like a heavily effected organ (from LABS), a "rippled" string/horn section (from SA Aperture) that gave an uneasy feeling, and a choir sound from a pair of Mellotrons (from Logic) panned wide. Even the violins (Violins 1 & 2 from BBCSO Core) are run through fuzz pedals so they didn't stay too clean. Also, I chose NI's Una Corda for the piano sound (with reverse delay and heavy reverb added) because of it's harp-like qualities, but not really fitting the familiar sounds of either a piano or harp.

As for the theme itself, the first thing that came to mind when reading the brief was "the day of judgment is at hand!" So, I had to sneak in some Dies Irae vibes, of course. But since it's my understanding that Maud hadn't turned too dark at this point in the story, I tried to make that impending melody line "pretty" as a symbol of something beautiful before the corruption fully set in. Starting the theme like this would give the theme a chance to turn darker and more "epic" as her story progressed if I were to expand on the theme later on.

Anyway, tell me your thoughts. This is literally the second video clip I've written music for. (The first being the now infamous Westworld Competition. ha)

That's really beautiful!
If you don't mind me saying, I feel that the music is mixed just a little bit too loud over the dialogue and sound.

Hello all - Just posting my entry. Now I can finally listen some other peoples entries. I did this in a hurry (just found out about contest 3 days ago) and it shows.
Really enjoyed Jordan’s choices. The actress does not look winded at all even after climbing that massive hill. She also got up there in a hurry.

QUESTION: How are you submitting your entry. I got my email verified, but have not yet received the "additional " email stating how to send it. They provide that [email protected] but nothing else. Most emails do not allow for a file or set of files to total more than 25mb, the video alone is larger than 25mb. I have reached out to them on social media (as there is NO contact email whatsoever on the Abbey Road site that I could find after combing it) and have not heard back.

So did you just compress the movie file to a smaller file size, use DropBox or Google Drive links, or use a file transfer service like WeTransfer?

Nice washy ambience. I like the subtle use of the Dies Irae vibe. I wish the contest had given more details so we as the entrants did not have to spend so much time digging up everything possible on the film itself due to a clip that was so mundane. My approach is more maniacal and one-track minded, relentless and building, much like how someone with an agenda (especially these days) just keeps repeating the same actions expecting a different outcome (definition of insanity).

Hello all - Just posting my entry. Now I can finally listen some other peoples entries. I did this in a hurry (just found out about contest 3 days ago) and it shows.
Really enjoyed Jordan’s choices. The actress does not look winded at all even after climbing that massive hill. She also got up there in a hurry.

Same here. I discovered it by accident doing a search for music composing contests and came across THIS site which had a post about the contest. I did mine in a hurry as well. BTW, how are you submitting your entry. My email caps all attachments at 25mb (Gmail). I reached out to Abbey Road on social media asking for advice on alternate methods to submit (links to google drive, drop box) or using file transfer services like WeTransfer.com.

I agree, the fact she isn't winded after that long climb is a clue she ain't human. LOL. For a rush job it sounded good to me.

OH yeah, I tried to post this on Facebook and was blocked immediately by Sony. This is why I rarely post on FB as it is such a piece of crap platform anymore. Blocked.JPG

That's really beautiful!
If you don't mind me saying, I feel that the music is mixed just a little bit too loud over the dialogue and sound.
I don't mind you saying that at all. This is the kind of feedback I use to improve. Thanks! Funny enough, I did notice the overlap and carved out the EQ around where her voice sat in the mix. Listening back, I should've been a bit more heavy-handed with the EQ scooping. ;)

I dig that maniacal vibe.

I sent mine via Gmail. It automatically added it to my Google Drive and sent the share link. Not sure if that'll work. *crosses fingers.
I am gonna just hit them from every angle possible I guess. I will do that but also supply links, attach a compressed video file and my audio file, and then also send it via WeTransfer.com

Same here. I discovered it by accident doing a search for music composing contests and came across THIS site which had a post about the contest. I did mine in a hurry as well. BTW, how are you submitting your entry. My email caps all attachments at 25mb (Gmail). I reached out to Abbey Road on social media asking for advice on alternate methods to submit (links to google drive, drop box) or using file transfer services like WeTransfer.com.
I emailed using Microsoft’s one drive option. (I use msn.com for email) I also included a link to the video on YouTube as well. I don’t think I had a winner (short notice and no more time this week to work on it) so I am not upset if this doesn’t work.

Here is my entry.

Nice!! Love the very last note. This is a rough clip to do as there is no context. My entry was done thinking this was near the beginning of the movie and yours seems more towards the ending as bad things are happening quickly.
Also like how clean your sounds are.

Top Bottom