A Theme Inspired by Thomas Tallis (1505-1585)

Discussion in 'Member's Compositions' started by mediumaevum, Feb 4, 2019.

1. mediumaevum

mediumaevum Member

Jun 21, 2018
    Ralph Vaughan Williams (1872-1958) composed "A Fantasy on a Theme by Thomas Tallis" in the 20th century.

I've made my own theme, but I was inspired by Thomas Tallis and Vaughan Williams orchestration. This is what I got:

First part is only choir, then comes the orchestra:

Featuring not 1 viola ensemble, but:

2*violins
    2*violas
    2*cellos
    1*bass (pizzicato)

+Flute and Oboe

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    ka00, Rob, batonruse and 3 others like this.
  2. OP
    OP
    mediumaevum

mediumaevum Member

Jun 21, 2018
  3. markleake

markleake Recovering sale addict

Nov 8, 2015
    I really liked the orchestral part. I like choirs, but to be honest, the choir section here didn't interest me.

One area of improvement is trying to understand how to manage the string swells and note changes better. I'm not sure what library you are using, but each change in note had quite a dip in volume followed by a very strong swell. That may well be your CC curves causing this? Sometimes you might want the strings to do this, but in this kind of track it becomes far too much and makes it so the strings didn't flow at all.

A library like CSS is the best I know of to get a smoother legato and bowing... you could try doubling with that (if you have it) to make the legatos and swells more natural. This is the kind of playing that would benefit a lot from that library.

dannymc and sostenuto like this.
  4. teclark7

teclark7 New Member

Sep 29, 2017
    Melbourne, Australia
    As a former viola player, always appreciate when someone arranges well for violas.

I'm with Mark, though, the dip and swell in the strings is one area to improve particularly on the shorter notes. Can you use a different patch (with less of the dynamic swell) for the shorter notes or adjust the starts and attacks in your string library?

5. OP
    OP
    mediumaevum

mediumaevum Member

Jun 21, 2018
    I used 8Dio Adagio for both Violins, Violas and Cellos.
    I had the settings at Medium Arc, though I should perhaps try most of the notes at Sus XFade, then end at Medium or Longer Arc?

6. OP
    OP
    mediumaevum

mediumaevum Member

Jun 21, 2018
    I'd like to know: If I got some help in converting the MIDI-data to sheet score, with all the markings etc. do you think an orchestra would be interested in playing this? Is it good enough or is it missing something?

7. teclark7

teclark7 New Member

Sep 29, 2017
    Melbourne, Australia
    I don’t have Adagio but I think using the sustain with the arcs on the longer notes might work better.

8. dannymc

dannymc Senior Member

Jan 10, 2015
    Dublin
    i agree. the piece had potential but had the life drained out of it due to lack of good dynamics. the dynamics are key to adding life and emotion to the music without them it might as well be AI at work.

Danny

9. OP
    OP
    mediumaevum

mediumaevum Member

Jun 21, 2018
    Thanks for the critique!

Let me know if this re-orchestration/improvement is better: