A theme for a contemporary dance company

Discussion in 'Member's Compositions' started by DGravel, May 22, 2019.

1. DGravel

DGravel New Member

Apr 29, 2019
    Montreal
    Hello VI Controllers,

I wrote this for a contemporary dance company that participates to national competitions. They are planning to use this music for next year’s finale. What makes things more interesting is that my daughter, who has been dancing with this group since she was 7, will be participating to that competition. This theme is an ode to the cycle of life, to a dad that fully realizes that her princess is now a fully grown up woman, and how fortunate he is to witness this evolution.

I spent a lot of time on this one and I'm quite happy with the result. Let me know what you think. Feedback is always much appreciated.

ism and whiskers like this.
  2. JohnG

JohnG Senior Member

Nov 13, 2007
    California
    Félicitations, M. Gravel! I think should be very proud of this and also the bond with your daughter; a nice story!

Just a couple of suggestions:

1. The bell/chime elements in the first section sound ever so slightly out of time with each other -- is this possible or am I hearing things?

2. You owe it to yourself to have someone play that violin part live in the second section (the transition) and again at the end. If indeed it's already real, it has an awful lot of EQ or something that makes it feel synthetic.

Either way I hope the dance is magic.

Kind regards,

John

3. OP
    OP
    DGravel

DGravel New Member

Apr 29, 2019
    Montreal
    Merci John for taking the time to provide feedback and your nice comments.
    I’m using the free performance sample violin. I’ll certainly review the EQ I applied.
    I’ll also double check the timing on the bell / toy piano part.
    Thx again. Its always good to get other’s perspectives. Wish you a great day in sunny California !