What's new

A Summer Symphony, Mvt. II Summer Nights

Paul T McGraw

It has been a while since I posted any of my own music. I composed "A Summer Symphony" consisting of four movements, between August and December 2018. Since then I have been trying to improve my midi-performance skills, and also getting over some health issues, blah, blah, blah. Anyway, I finally have the second movement ready. By the way, our own Doug Gibson helped with feedback and suggestions during the writing of this symphony. Thank you Doug!

OK, this is a "slow movement" in modified rondo (ABCAB) form with introduction and coda. The C section represents the fireflies and is my favorite part of this movement. The twinkling sound is a vibraphone, two flutes and a clarinet playing staccato, and the long notes which sound so dreamy are violas and second violins con sordino (muted). Here is the program for the movement.

"A Summer Symphony" – Fond memories of summer days of youth and coming of age in the 1960's.

Mvt. II – Summer Nights - Gradually my memories of summer nights of my youth come into focus. The light fades, the sky turns dark blue and the day is over. The fireflies appear and are so beautiful as they twinkle in the dark. It is quiet and cool after the heat of the day.
Here is link to the score.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/iz59n37pzer0dj9/Summer Mvt 2 Summer Nights Score - Full Score.pdf?dl=0

And here is the track.

The samples used are:

• Woodwinds - VSL
  • Brass - Berlin Brass
  • Percussion - VSL
  • Strings - Spitfire Symphonic Strings and VSL Synchron Strings mixed about 50/50

synergy543

Really terrific work Paul! I really like the way you've focused on the linear melodies in this movement and yet also have kept it harmonically rich and you've held the dynamics back giving much more impact to your crescendos. Very nice atmospheric orchestration that nicely matches your visual imagery. And thanks for sharing both the music and the score.

OP
Paul T McGraw

Paul T McGraw

Thanks guys! I really appreciate the positive comments, but even more than that, thank you for taking the time to listen!

OleJoergensen

Thank you for sharing Paul. Great work.
I admire your notation skills, you are very thorough.

When Im back to my computer with a big screen, I will re-listen with the full score.

Top Bottom