What's new

A simple piano piece - comments welcome...

Well I listened to it, was going to write something along the lines of 'Nice track. The repeated notes began to grate a bit after a while...', but I left to go do something else. 10 minutes later I'm humming the melody. You win :thumbsup:

Guitar player, looks like? Seems to be a lot of guitarists on here from what I can tell. I'm one myself, and very much in the same boat, in that I record section by section and edit the MIDI later.

I like the melody; I think there's a lot more you could do with it if you were to bring in some other instruments. My only gripe is that there is something lacking in the expression department. I'd have to look at your MIDI to be totally sure, but it sounds like there isn't enough variation in velocities.

I think there's also some room for some flourishes where there is some empty space, at least later in the piece so that you aren't just repeating the melody only. What I mean is you could keep those repeating notes in place, but at the end, before you start the next set of notes, you could add some nice little flourishes without too much trouble.

That's what I would do, anyway. Just my opinion of course. It's still a very nice little piece as it is.

Thanks for your replies! :)

@MilesAbbott yes, i'm mainly a guitarist but i can play basic piano and also some other instruments (check my youtube channel! ;) )

I agree that expression could be done better. first, when i improvised the song and played without the sequencer, i also added some rallentando and gave much more expression... but i simply cannot do it in the sequencer, since i have to record with the metronome... otherwise it will be a mess! :)
and regarding the velocity, you are probably right... i'll go over the details later.

i'll try to work on it something more.

thanks again! :)

I agree with comments about expression. Would also add that you could consider really varying the rhythmic shape of the melody in different sections, so it’s not always the same pattern. But on the other hand your voice leading is good and you vary the harmony quite a bit, which is so much better than 3 minute pieces over a single chord. What about writing for guitar with accompaniment?

I was really confused at first when I heard the beginning of the piece, as it gives off a very strong pentatonic impression. Indeed, the impression stays throughout the piece, but it feels conflicting seeing the name in Italian yet hearing a melody which seems inspired by a different scale.

Perhaps you can leverage that and make a countermelody emerge from the main subject in pentatonic while the main one stays diatonic? That might obscure the feeling of the piece somewhat, but at least it wouldn't be just chords and melody.

it feels conflicting seeing the name in Italian yet hearing a melody which seems inspired by a different scale.

this is quite surprising! :)
just for curiosity (from an italian!), which kind of scale/song should a name in italian inspire??

this is quite surprising! :)
just for curiosity (from an italian!), which kind of scale/song should a name in italian inspire??
Well, I often associate the pentatonic scale with East Asian music (it is the principle scale of China after all), so I did not expect to hear it from music with western name.

However, it may be because I always have my ears tuned for pentatonic. It’s my favorite scale and I also feel accustomed to it in the context of thai (where I’m from) classical music. When a melody starts to fit into the scale, I automatically detects it and I feel disappointed whenever it breaks away and turns into normal diatonic melody.

I don’t really have any other ideas about the type of song that a language like italian or thai should inspire, though I can easily identify classical music of my own region thanks to a radically different tuning system, but that’s a bit like cheating.

That said, I expect a song with an italian name to use a diatonic scale, though hearing bits of pentatonic isn’t really surprising in this age. I also expect the piece to use conventional western tuning, but that’s trivial. Really, I can only expect at most to hear a western sound, because there’s too much diversity to extract any more information.

Hello everyone!
I managed to make another, imporved (I hope) version

enjoy! :)

Top Bottom