What's new

A Sea Voyage (sketch for orchestra)

Nice! I liked it very much - especially how you developed the melody with many different orchestral textures and variations ;)

Very well done! You know how to fully utilize the orchestra quite nicely! :) What libraries did you use?

WOW, really a nice piece in the classical style, love it a lot! Orchestration is top notch (I also hear hints of Williams which is always good :)

Thanks!

It's LA Scoring Strings, Hollywood Brass, EWQLSO for woodwinds, QL Spaces for reverb.

After putting this piece aside for a few weeks and listening to it again, I think the mix has a really fragile "dry/papery" sound to it, perhaps too much high frequencies or something? As well, it feels like the reverb is barely there.

Mixing has always been my weakest suit so if anyone has advice about how to mix this better (especially wrangling LASS to create a 'warmer' and more present sound) I would truly appreciate it!

Hey @NoamL, I went and found this track after seeing a mention of it in another thread saying it wasn't very good.

I rather like it, especially the full theme that comes out at 1:24 and 2:40.

I'm not the best at mixing either, but I'd dissagree a bit with your statement above about reverb. To me it sounds fine, except for the flute. The flute sounds far too close compared to the other instruments, and too dominant (loud), even if going for a 'hollywood' style mix. 2:20+ with the flute needs some rework especially.

Personally I didn't find the strings too cold, but there were a few moments where they didn't sound especially flash, including the starting tremelo. The violins when prominent (eg around the 0:40+ mark) I think is another example. I don't know how you eq. LASS, but could you replace or double the 1st violins with another library perhaps?

My only other thought is that some more percussion from 2:40+, such as cymbal swells and timpani, would have been good before you bring them in a 3:05.

I really like the brass in this track. A very listenable track.

Edit: and sorry for dredging up an old thread! It seemed topical, and you had some thoughts there that had been left hanging in your last post.

Last edited:
Thx! I still think the melodic idea is pretty cool but I'd develop it totally differently if I rewrote the track today... being dissatisfied with your past music is always a good sign :)

Top Bottom