What's new
Please listen before reading on...

So I hit a major wall in the last month. I've been trying to get my first home since February, no luck cause people are bidding ludicrous amounts more than me. Given the fact the fact I live in a family of 7, work from home and the only place I can work is in an attic that has no windows in the middle of a heatwave it's a bit of a bummer.

Then I've been trying to get a driving for the past year but thanks to you know what there's been no tests available and then my driving theory expired. So I had to sit it again and trying to get that was an issue too.

Then the straw that broke the camels back was thatt my girlfriend left me after 6 years. There was no shouting or anything like that. It was calm. We laughed about the past and cried about the present, a "nice" way to break up I suppose.

But after that I was pretty done. I didn't want to do much of anything especially write music. Every time I sat at the piano there was just an empty void.

So, last night I decided to watch one of Mike Vertas videos which normally gets me back up and running when I start to feel low. Sure enough, that did the job. I left a note on my computer saying "you have emotions, use them" and got down this sketch.

It might not be perfect yet, but hopefully there's something in there and hopefully when I start the orchestration it will be something special that I can be proud of.

Would really appreciate any feedback you all have. I hope that there's something in this one and that there's something there that you enjoy.

Last edited:

thorwald

For the longest time, I've been meaning to discover how to react to a post using something other than "Like". Unfortunately, this is not as obvious with a keyboard/screen reader, since you need to move the mouse over the "Like" link, then making sure that the focus does not move anywhere else, the other reactions pop up at the bottom. This likely looks different visually, and the only reason why I wrote all this is because I literally spent 10 minutes to figure this out, because you deserve it. 😀

Beautiful piece, on a beautiful-sounding piano. Well done!

OP
Duncan Formosa

Duncan Formosa

For the longest time, I've been meaning to discover how to react to a post using something other than "Like". Unfortunately, this is not as obvious with a keyboard/screen reader, since you need to move the mouse over the "Like" link, then making sure that the focus does not move anywhere else, the other reactions pop up at the bottom. This likely looks different visually, and the only reason why I wrote all this is because I literally spent 10 minutes to figure this out, because you deserve it. 😀

Beautiful piece, on a beautiful-sounding piano. Well done!

Thank you very much! That means a lot to me. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

PeterN

Thanks for sharing.

Many people dont write this mellow stuff after setbacks. Sounds you are pretty much over it and have very safe family background - to use this type of expression.

Tongue in cheek, Id suggest you become a politician, captain, or CEO or something. Captain, particularly, with that Formosa name and all. Sounds like its not easy to squeeze out desperation from you, and that type of personality would be needed in society, rather than choose the road of decadent musicians. You could bring a piano on your boat, and play it on the stormy seas.

petec

A nice melody there, one with a very thoughtful feel. Clearly you have skills that touch the emotional senses. And also have inner strength to work your way through lifes setbacks. I wish you well and and am encouraged by your forward steps to the next scene of your life.

Wonderfully pleasant tune and artfully played. Thank you.

OP
Duncan Formosa

Duncan Formosa

Thanks everyone for the kind and encouraging words, it really means a lot.

I've just listened to this piece for the first time since I posted it and I'm a little conflicted on what to do with it. At first I thought I would NEED to orchestrate it but there's something about the piano on it's own I'm getting quite fond of. Makes it sound more delicate which probably works better with the story behind it?

I do have some ideas for orchestrating it but perhaps I should treat it as a completely seperate piece and change it slightly and create a different story with the same themes?

Thanks everyone for the kind and encouraging words, it really means a lot.

I've just listened to this piece for the first time since I posted it and I'm a little conflicted on what to do with it. At first I thought I would NEED to orchestrate it but there's something about the piano on it's own I'm getting quite fond of. Makes it sound more delicate which probably works better with the story behind it?

I do have some ideas for orchestrating it but perhaps I should treat it as a completely seperate piece and change it slightly and create a different story with the same themes?
Keep it as a piano composition. By the way, if you can write music like this, the most important thing in your life is not a home or a girl friend, but your talent. No one can take that away from you. Just keep writing music, especially piano music. You might be a typical piano composer, like Chopin was.

Top Bottom