What's new

A problem with BT Phobos from Spitfire

Jonas Hallstrom

Greetings!

I got BT Phobos on the wishlist deal. I havent have time to play with it very much. But it worked all right from start, I played through some patches etc.

Today when I opened it up.. It was totally blank..and it said "No presets found"
I have not changed anything on the external SSD where it's stored. And all the other libraries on that disk are just fine.

Has anyone ran into that problem? And would anyone know how to reload the patches, or find a search path?

With BT Phobos now on promo, what are current reactions experiences.
Has this creative, intriguing library fallen short of expectations ?
Interested since Intro ….. :cautious:

With BT Phobos now on promo, what are current reactions experiences.
Has this creative, intriguing library fallen short of expectations ?
Interested since Intro ….. :cautious:

I bought Phobos on a sale for $182.22 a while back and it's been my biggest disappointment for a synth. Interesting concept but I just feel it's not ready for prime time. The user interface looks like something out of a beta version, it's CPU intensive, navigating the presets is ridiculously complicated, and you won't find very much help or tutorials as there's not a lot of info out there other than a manual and a brief walkthough on the Spitfire page. I could be wrong but it appears to be an abandoned ship with any further updates.

I bought Phobos on a sale for $182.22 a while back and it's been my biggest disappointment for a synth. Interesting concept but I just feel it's not ready for prime time. ***** I could be wrong but it appears to be an abandoned ship with any further updates.

Serious thanks for your 'refresher' comments !
This is much of what I recall from long ago, and lack of enthusiastic posts is worrisome.
Seemed like so much potential and truly disappointed that no major enhancements have developed.

Regards :thumbsup:

I second everything MillsMix said on it regarding usage. It's really clumsy and a complete pain to go through the presets. Also on mine, to make matters worse, while attempting to navigate that cumbersome preset menu, it will randomly pull up a blank menu name. So when you're scrolling, you'll have to drill all the way back down through the folders to try to figure out which one you were on.

On the plus side, it sounds fantastic for drones and atmospheres. it doesn't seem to suffer from the obvious loops that a sampled atmo would have and it does tend to continue evolving over long periods of time without getting repetitious.

Trying to do something as simple as auditioning presets can be a real time waster on it though.

I second everything MillsMix said on it regarding usage. It's really clumsy and a complete pain to go through the presets. Also on mine, to make matters worse, while attempting to navigate that cumbersome preset menu, it will randomly pull up a blank menu name. So when you're scrolling, you'll have to drill all the way back down through the folders to try to figure out which one you were on. *****************

So disappointing for SF to promote BT Phobos again, with no hint of serious plans to fix issues and Update. Hoping to see something from SF before Mar 31.

THX

They really should fix this thing! I really love what it's doing, but the bugs are totally ruining it! I really don't understand why they are bringing it back up on sale, before even make it work properly :(

I've been tempted a few times by Phobos, so it's good to know it hasn't improved much from the original reports. It's a shame, because I love weird convolution stuff.

On a related note, has anyone found a decent offline convolution program for Windows? I used to use SoundHack, but I haven't had a reliable Mac in my studio for a while. I know any old convolution reverb engine will do, but I miss mashing sounds together outside of a DAW in non-realtime.

I love IL's Edison for quick editing. The built-in algorithms are top notch and the convolution reverb has its own mini-editor in the window so you don't waste any time if, say, an impulse turns out to be improperly trimmed after loading. You can also convolve with generated noise sweeps (Blur) and FIRs (the linear-phase EQ with automatic time correction).
QydteFw.gif

If you don't feel like spending 90 bucks for one function then Audacity has several convolution plugins floating around. Hell, the newest version supports VST so you can just load up Freeverb3 and run it offline.

Last edited:
I love IL's Edison for quick editing. The built-in algorithms are top notch and the convolution reverb has its own mini-editor in the window so you don't waste any time if, say, an impulse turns out to be improperly trimmed after loading. You can also convolve with generated noise sweeps (Blur) and FIRs (the linear-phase EQ with automatic time correction).
QydteFw.gif

If you don't feel like spending 90 bucks for one function then Audacity has several convolution plugins floating around. Hell, the newest version supports VST so you can just load up Freeverb3 and run it offline.

I'd never heard of Edison. It looks like there's a standalone version too, which is just what I'd be looking for. I'll check it out, thanks!

Here is my simple view on it. I have it. I never use it. When it was first announced, the overall concept was interesting but I feel like it fundamentally struggles to be a fun tool to use because it is overly complex. I would be more interested if they pushed this concept into new directions with future synth plugins but focused on it being simplified. I feel like there are far more complex synth engines out there that are a lot more fun and inspiring to work with. This is not one of them.

PxDs2NT.jpg

{Disclaimer - I received Phobos as an NFR for review but it took a few months, post release, for them to get a fix for me to use it on a Windows 7 machine. By that time, I decided a review wasn't worth it because everything that needed to be said about the library had been said. Also, I would have looked like this picture above trying to explain how this library worked.}

you won't find very much help or tutorials as there's not a lot of info out there other than a manual and a brief walkthough on the Spitfire page

There's a few "how to" videos on this page that you might find helpful (broken link removed)

For those waiting for an update, we are rolling one out in about 15 minutes (it'll take a few hours for current owners to receive their update email). Here's a list of the changes:

- Faster loading times

- Preset management improvements

- MPE mode fix

- Convolution puck display improvements

Jack takes us through the updates in his How It Works video:

Thinking about picking this up. One of the common pieces of feedback has been its usability. Has this been improved sufficiently?

Okay. This is nearly three years later and it's still crap. I used it for the first time in a year earlier at which point it worked fine, but now. It's doing what it did the last time it screwed up, which is:

Doesn't appear after dragging it onto a track.
Re-dragging it makes it appear with no sounds.
Re-opening the Daw and then re-trying to drag it and it crashes the DAW. Rinse and repeat. Do not buy this. It's not worth the hassle

Top Bottom