What's new

A New Chapter from Spitfire Audio...

CH did mention there were more videos, more demos to come. Perhaps there are patches on the way. Maybe the picture isn’t yet complete.

Or maybe Mr Blaney drops a couple of demos and stops the arguments cold.. :)

I'd like to hear SStS used for something like this...

tl;dr - It takes a lot more work to do this than CSS does. Here is my attempt at recreating that demo (just an excerpt) First half is with my reverb, second is library out of the box (dry). I used the Stereo Mix 2 option since the CSS demo used the Mix mic.

The strengths I'm finding so far are what most of you already know which is the extended techniques and colors you can't find in most "All purpose" libraries like CSS. I've noticed now, with Spitfire at least, that their Spiccatos and other shorts are becoming less "tight." This is okay in some cases but the main patches (8,6,6,6,4) don't have very tight shorts. To be clear, they don't hold up rhythmically on the grid. The samples aren't edited very well on the front end which makes them harder to use for fast ostinatos. This was the case with HZ Strings as well. They sound great but not for fast stuff. Now, the Divisi sections do have a much better short spiccato sound and hold up much better than the main patches do on the grid at least.

Based on just trying to mimic that CSS demo, I'm finding that I prefer the sound of the divisi sections the most. I used the Divisi sections on this demo but had to use the main sections for the Trills and Measured Trems. I did this so you can hear that the differences of using the two divisi sections layered together and jumping back and forth between the main section doesn't sound different at all, not in a mix at least.

This also used two tracks per instrument + keyswitches to accomplish. With Expression maps in Cubase, I'm sure you could cut this down to a single track if you are one of those people who prefer to work that way. In trying to accomplish this short demo, I didn't notice anything buggy. I just have that preference for a tighter front end edit of the samples. The tightness control doesn't help it enough in my opinion and I honestly don't want to have to rely on the Time Machine patches for something so simple.

Additional thoughts are all subjective of course. I wish they had some more Hairpin samples because the ones included are very long. I wish they did some short, medium, and long length versions. The phrases and Runs seem like a random after thought. They are not tempo locked so they seem pointless to me. We could have substituted those for some good Staccato or SFZ samples. I also suspected and can confirm that the Legato lacks the ability to play fast runs. It works great for lyrical stuff but nothing good with 1/16th notes at 110 and above.

Okay, I need to go to sleep now. I hope my initial thoughts are helpful.

Best,

C

[Note: Spitfire sent me an NFR of Studio Strings for review. I will actually be reviewing it along side the forthcoming Studio Brass and Woodwinds after they are released. As I continue to work with this library, I will come back to the critiques I've laid out here as I'm sure some updates will occur between now and the time I release my full review of this new series.]

Last edited:
... To be clear, they don't hold up rhythmically on the grid. The samples aren't edited very well on the front end which makes them harder to use for fast ostinatos. ...

O.t
Some years ago I produced a track where I needed very short and precise chello staccatos. Finally, I imported all chello staccato samples from the East West library into Cubase. There I worked on each sample with the time-stretch tool, cutted it exactly and built a new Kontact instrument for me. I called it "super short chelli stacc" and it worked wonderfully. ;)

Last edited:
It's of course about the workflow I prefer, but after I ditched EW libraries, I could never go back to the articulation per track workflow.

Actually depending on your DAW, there are ways to avoid that. I use Logic and with the Articulation Sets, you can keyswitch between Play slots by Midi Channel. All you need is a way to switch midi channel in Logic this is done per note and is excellent. Hollywood Strings is in my opinion still one of the best as nobody else has sampled as many dynamic layers (their sustains have 6-7 layers and nearly as many vibrato layers).

In fact I even do this method for some libraries that have Keyswitch patches where the slots in them dont always have the same controls over details (eg OTs Capsule Legato is not as controllable as the standalone Legato patch).

If your DAW can switch MIDI channel per note, articulation per track workflow is in fact, a bliss! I can't quite go back to keyswitching, except where you need a lot of MIDI CCs.

If your DAW can switch MIDI channel per note, articulation per track workflow is in fact, a bliss! I can't quite go back to keyswitching, except where you need a lot of MIDI CCs.

What do you mean by that exactly? Are you using different Tracks for each Midi Channel/Articulation?

My only problem with the one track per articulation situation, or switching articulation by midi channel, is it becomes a problem of getting the different articulations to sound like a cohesive unit. Timing the tail of legato notes so that they don't hang over into a spicatto section in CSS, for example, is a right pain. In situations where I'm making complex phrases key switching is the only way I can make that happen.

I would just get CSS if i were you. So far, it's the only library that blends seamlessly with all the piano work i do. That dark yet tender character makes it really unique and unlike any library. It also has a wonderful Marcato articulation that you can layer on top of Spiccato keyswitch which begs for riding that keyboard and jamming all day long (if that's what you're into). Just my two cents.

Cool reply; especially since my pianist background didn't get mentioned, yet is so relevant to this purchase.
OTW _ my DIVISI uncertainty remains ..... ;)
Thank-you for your comments!

Last edited:
I have to admit, I'm a little bit drunk to fully bother myself and read all 16 pages... So, are most of these comments from people that have actually bought SStS and have experience with it or by people that just like typing stuff on the internet? Just trying to save a bit of time ;)

I have to admit, I'm a little bit drunk to fully bother myself and read all 16 pages... So, are most of these comments from people that have actually bought SStS and have experience with it or by people that just like typing stuff on the internet? Just trying to save a bit of time ;)
You're drunk but managed to type "SStS" correctly... ;)

So, are most of these comments from people that have actually bought SStS and have experience with it or by people that just like typing stuff on the internet? Just trying to save a bit of time ;)
A mixture of both. I'm afraid that doesn't help you save any time. But at least you're drunk, so wading through 16 pages isn't as painful a task as it would otherwise be.

I imagine many comments (including myself) are based on the the demos.....which are in my opinion, not very good (sound wise, not compositionally).

Normally demos show the very best of what you can achieve or at least paint the library in a flattering light...

Obviously I am guessing, but I reckon these might be the same samples used in Herrmann, find it hard to believe they re-recorded the Strings using the same Room, Producer, Mic Setup etc. The setup in BHT is the same as this ie C1 C2 T1 T2 O.

Nothing necessarily wrong with that.

Obviously the are supplied as High/Low Sections in BHT and less articulations, but I reckon otherwise very similar.

But I found it helpful as the same Leader Mic is used in BHT.

Obviously I am guessing, but I reckon these might be the same samples used in Herrmann, find it hard to believe they re-recorded the Strings using the same Room, Producer, Mic Setup etc. The setup in BHT is the same as this ie C1 C2 T1 T2 O.
Nothing necessarily wrong with that.
Obviously the are supplied as High/Low Sections in BHT and less articulations, but I reckon otherwise very similar.
But I found it helpful as the same Leader Mic is used in BHT.

Appreciate your comments, yet wondering about '3 years in the making ...'
Guess this remains valid, even with Herrmann detail …….. :sneaky:

I imagine many comments (including myself) are based on the the demos.....which are in my opinion, not very good (sound wise, not compositionally).

Normally demos show the very best of what you can achieve or at least paint the library in a flattering light...
Spitfire products are being released so rapidly that I wonder how much time there is to really familiarize oneself with a new library before having to create a demo.

Best,

Geoff

O.t
Some years ago I produced a track where I needed very short and precise chello staccatos. Finally, I imported all chello staccato samples from the East West library into Cubase. There I worked on each sample with the time-stretch tool, cutted it exactly and built a new Kontact instrument for me. I called it "super short chelli stacc" and it worked wonderfully. ;)
That's cool. I wish I had the time and patience for such a task. For me, it's just easy enough to say, "Well, this library can't do what I need it to do, but this one does." I'm trying to figure out what SStS can do differently that my other libraries can't do. Aside from some of the FX patches, there doesn't seem to be a 'worth the price' patch that I've found yet. There is a lot to explore and it will take time though.

-C

Top Bottom