What's new

A Moment of Silence

Rodney Money

On V.I. avoiding work.
A very large piece of mine for trumpet and electronic fixed media will be performed in April, but I have always been unsure about this backing track IV. A Moment of Silence. There are 7 movements in all where this is the 4th, and this is just the backing track so you will not hear the trumpet soloist. There is a 10 second silence at the end of the track for the benefit of the soloist. This is the shortest movement lasting around 3 minutes where most movements are around 6.5 minutes long.

Last edited:
By far without.

You know, I am sure you spent the previous three movements building up to this.

Dropping in like this, out of context, it was like walking in on "Days of our Lives" or those day time soaps from Mexico.

I could't get past 15 seconds with the voice over, and listened to the whole selection without voice over
Thank you, my friend, for your honesty and ears! Much appreciated. Nah, I haven't spent 3 movements building up to it. I 've got 3 more after the 4th to do that, lol. (Yes, 7 movements with this one by far the shortest.)

First of all I would like to compliment you for this very nice composition excerpt. I listened to both versions a few times and even though the version with the voice over is nice, I prefer without it... My choice is also conditioned by the fact that I don't know what came before and whether the voice over is used in previews sections of your entire composition. I also would like to make a comment about a sound that I hear from 1:05 (at the end of the big crescendo) to ca. 1:25, it sounds like a sizzling cymbal that continues after the big crescendo and personally I find it too distracting, almost like an extraneous high pitch noise. Just my two cents ;)

Kind regards, Max T.

First of all I would like to compliment you for this very nice composition excerpt. I listened to both versions a few times and even though the version with the voice over is nice, I prefer without it... My choice is also conditioned by the fact that I don't know what came before and whether the voice over is used in previews sections of your entire composition. I also would like to make a comment about a sound that I hear from 1:05 (at the end of the big crescendo) to ca. 1:25, it sounds like a sizzling cymbal that continues after the big crescendo and personally I find it too distracting, almost like an extraneous high pitch noise. Just my two cents ;)

Kind regards, Max T.
Thank you for all of your comments and great ears. I have been struggling around 1:25 and have never been happy with it. (In fact, I have never been happy about anything concerning my music, but never the less.) I need to look back at that section again and work on it.

Kind regards, Max T.
I'm working on a new mix right now and will replace this thread with it.

Updated with new track.
Hello Rodney,

First of all don't be hard and unhappy about your music, you are gifted and your music speaks nice things to me! I am saying this to you and I am also very critical towards myself and the music I write and produce... I have learn that this attitude though doesn't bring anything positive, the contrary, for many years I have stopped composing just because I could not cope with the nagging voice within that kept saying that I was no good at anything music related... It is a hard confession to make and now that I know better this voice is much quieter and controlled.

This other mix sounds better, from 0:08 to 0:28 I hear some crackles that were also present in the previews mixes, I am not sure if they are intended or not... Having worked in sound design and electroacoustics music, these sound artifacts often are part of the composition and not considered a sign of a problem in mixing, etc... In your case I am not sure and this is why I am pointing it out to you.

From 1:05 to 1:25 (just before the last cymbal swell) I hear an improvement compare to the previews mix but still hear a lot of high frequencies. Have you tried taming the high frequencies in this spot?

Another suggestion I feel inclined to give you is perhaps to introduce some timpani roll with the cymbal swell before the climax Tam Tam hit and let the Tam Tam ring and maybe taming even further the sizzling cymbal or remove it completely. I feel you will still have a great ring effect from the 'forte' Tam Tam hit that will gradually disappear as the music progresses. I am not sure if all of this makes any sense to you.

Best regards,

Max T.

Hey !

Just came back to listen to the new version.

Can I ask an honest question ? Why is "A moment of Silence" so damn loud ?

Is this irony ? Seems like at 1:08 is where the monster trucks all come out thru a ring of fire.

If there is anything new you want to ask for feedback on just holler.

Great ! Your music was always very good ! I am very happy to hear you are feeling a little better about the composing. How is the health ? I hope you are doing great, and wish you all the very best
Dear Dough,

Thanks for the kind reply and feedback, coming from a great composer like you I am pretty flattered... My health is still up and down with some tribulations since the starting of 2019, nevertheless the Spirit is strong and I keep moving ahead... Sorry Rodney for slightly hijacking your post here...

Dough let's touch base in private... Kind regards, Max T.

Top Bottom