What's new

A Mac Pro 6.1 as an interim solution?

cato

Hi,

I'm in a bit of a pickle. As I have a feature film coming up that I'll be scoring in January, I need to upgrade from my current quad Mac Mini to something that is equally portable (I have a studio in London and another in Spain so need something easy to put in a rucksack).

I've been holding out (like many people I expect) to buy the new Mac Pro when they *finally* come out, but I've run out of time now and need something considerably more powerful than my Mac Mini, so thinking about getting this refurbished dustbin-style Mac Pro:

https://www.macstoreuk.com/product/mac-pro-6-1-2-7ghz-12-core-64gb-ram-dual-d700s-1tb-ssd-7/

Is there anything I should be wary of before buying, like choosing d500 over a D700 graphics card for audio work? I heard the D700 can overheat, although I've also heard that's mainly when you're doing video work. I expect the price of the unit will plummet once the new MP comes out (another reason I wanted to hold out), but at least buying refurbished will cut the cost a bit I suppose...

Thanks for any advice!

Cato

OP
cato

cato

Wait for the updated iMacs with the 6-core Intel CPUs

Sounds like it will be a good machine, but I need to to be portable enough to chuck in a bag and travel with unfortunately...

Sami

The Undisclosing
Sounds like it will be a good machine, but I need to to be portable enough to chuck in a bag and travel with unfortunately...

I heard there are some pretty good mini ITX motherboards for the 8700k as well and Logic apparently runs pretty well on z370- if you get my drift...

gsilbers

Part of Pulsesetter-Sounds.com
the new mac pros might get released in july or sept of 2019. if .. and maybe.
when they come out the price will most likley be astronomical based on the newest macbook and imacs.
and since apple mentioned they are targeting the pro market im guessig they will go bigger so there are more options to do addons and replacements. which is something everyone hated aboutt he trashcan macs.
performance wise that mac you linked is very good and small. so i think itll be a good option that can last a long while. specially coming from macmini youwill def feel the change.
a lot of folks here are still on the cheesegrater and its doing very well still and those are not as good performancewise.

as for video card, get the cheap obviously. if its audio work.

Damarus

Personally, I don't see the point of investing so much money in a machine that is nearly 5 years old now. The base model iMac pro would be much better than the 2013 mac pro, and you can build nearly 2 great small form factor PCs at the price of that trash can. IMO at the price of that 2013 mac pro, your better off building a PC or getting the newest iMac 27"

Bender-offender

Just an ex-con trying to get my kids back.
If you’re in need of a computer now, then there’s nothing wrong with getting a Mac Pro 6,1. Personally, I feel they’re still really great and super powerful. Since technology is always changing, you’re never going to be ahead of the curve, so you might as well get what you need when you need it. My only suggestion is to consider the 8 or 6 core Mac Pro over the 12 core. I only say that because the 8 and 6 core have better single core speeds than the 12 which will be more beneficial IMO. With audio, single core performance is usually more important than multi-core performance since you’re doing things in real-time. However, I’m sure the 12 core is still a beast if you decide to go that route.

Also, you definitely don’t need the D700 GFX for audio. Even the D300 is more than enough for audio.

Finally, if you can afford it, have you considered one of the new MacBook Pros? Or even one a year or two old? I have a 2013 MBPro and it’s still impressively powerful.

OP
cato

cato

the new mac pros might get released in july or sept of 2019. if .. and maybe.
when they come out the price will most likley be astronomical based on the newest macbook and imacs.

That's a good point, I expect the new ones will come with a very heavy price tag, so I might not be able to afford it anyway! I'm hoping this MP trashcan will last me at least 3 years so I can earn back off the back of it.

OP
cato

cato

Personally, I don't see the point of investing so much money in a machine that is nearly 5 years old now. The base model iMac pro would be much better than the 2013 mac pro, and you can build nearly 2 great small form factor PCs at the price of that trash can. IMO at the price of that 2013 mac pro, your better off building a PC or getting the newest iMac 27"

I agree that's it's old tech, but like @Bender-offender said, they're still super powerful... my friend is always trying to convince me to go back to PC's, but I'm so familiar with Logic and OSX now that it would be like sticking hot burning coals into my eyes to go back to Windows at this point. I'll try it one day, but too many blue screens of death for me when I was working on one.

OP
cato

cato

consider the 8 or 6 core Mac Pro over the 12 core.

I was going to go for a 6 core originally, but it seems all the refurbished options I've found are only 12 core. I could try the Apple store I guess, but I'm keen to get everything set up asap and it's a bit of a lottery on their site.

have you considered one of the new MacBook Pros?

I have considered them - they look fantastic. The problem I had with working from a laptop previously though is that my place in Spain is il scorchio meaning I had heat issues (even with air con). The place I work from there is in the south west and called 'the frying pan of Spain', so you get the idea of how hot it can get!

Bender-offender

Just an ex-con trying to get my kids back.
I was going to go for a 6 core originally, but it seems all the refurbished options I've found are only 12 core. I could try the Apple store I guess, but I'm keen to get everything set up asap and it's a bit of a lottery on their site.

I have considered them - they look fantastic. The problem I had with working from a laptop previously though is that my place in Spain is il scorchio meaning I had heat issues (even with air con). The place I work from there is in the south west and called 'the frying pan of Spain', so you get the idea of how hot it can get!
How quickly do you need the computer? I found my Mac Pro 8 core on eBay for a surprisingly decent price.

I’ve been using a silver Mac Pro for years (which is still a powerful computer) and it wasn’t until this year I finally needed an upgrade. I researched a lot and many audio folks (on VI Control and elsewhere) said the 8 core is a good balance of single core speed and multi core. In fact, (I know it is out-dated) when I did the Evan Logic Benchmark test with the 8 core, I was able to get the same track count as the 12 core Mac Pro — which was maxed out at 255 instrument tracks. So if you aren’t in a crazy hurry, see if you can find a reputable seller on eBay.

Concerning the MacBook Pro, I definitely understand the heat issue. I’m outside of Los Angeles and need to work through the extremely hot summers here :) Just know, the Mac Pro 6,1 puts out more heat than the MacBook Pro. When I’m stressing my MacBook Pro, I usually prop it up under the screen and place a small fan next to it to blow some heat off the bottom. Anyway, just a suggestion.

Damarus

I agree that's it's old tech, but like @Bender-offender said, they're still super powerful... my friend is always trying to convince me to go back to PC's, but I'm so familiar with Logic and OSX now that it would be like sticking hot burning coals into my eyes to go back to Windows at this point. I'll try it one day, but too many blue screens of death for me when I was working on one.

Gotcha. So I would lean toward the iMac 27" (2017). I would only go for a Macbook Pro if you absolutely need the portability.

iMac 2017 vs Mac pro 2013: https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/compare/3762337?baseline=9927013

wayne_rowley

How quickly do you need it?

There are rumours of a new ‘pro’ Mac Mini due out in October. Might be worth waiting to see if that arrives rather than getting a trash can now, and regretting it in a couple of months.

Wayne

OP
cato

cato

How quickly do you need it?

There are rumours of a new ‘pro’ Mac Mini due out in October. Might be worth waiting to see if that arrives rather than getting a trash can now, and regretting it in a couple of months.

Wayne

That's not a bad idea actually. My Mac Mini quad server has been a fantastic and portable bit of kit that's served me well, so if they deal with the loud fans issue and make it quite a bit more powerful then it could be a great interim solution. Thanks for the tip Wayne!

Nick Batzdorf

The $6000+ 12-core sells for about $2600 refurbished or used on ebay in the US.

That's not holding its value like other Macs have.

dcoscina

I got a brand new 6,1 a few weeks ago. My old 3,1 was sadly dying a slow death. I'm loving the stability and extra cores in LPX. And it's quiet!!!! I also bought a Thunderbay 4 to use my SSDs with it. NOTE- if the TB4 has a LOUD fan. I was told I could disconnect it if I wasn't running any spinning drives which I'm not. Now it's blissfully quiet.

Wunderhorn

Yes, tough times for professionals who like to use Mac OS.
The iMac is really no option because you are stuck with a built-in screen and no expandability. They outdate themselves faster than any Mac Pro.
I am working on a 2013 Mac Pro but I wish I could upgrade to something more powerful (Not only for music). If Apple does not deliver on their promise for next year I will be forced to jump ship. I think a refurbished or used 12-core would be OK for the time being. Especially with VE-Pro you can make good use of these cores. Also, you can take a Mac Pro relatively easy through airports. Count in a bit extra time because TSA loves to look at it.

jonnybutter

I pulled the trigger last year and got a trashcan, and it's been perfectly fine. I plan on getting some good years out of it, then upgrading when it's a good value for me. LPX should run pretty well on it for a while, so..I'm happy.

You never know what Apple's going to do, so I wouldn't (and didn't) wait, but that's just me. BTW, it is small but pretty darned heavy!

Top Bottom