What's new

A Little Help With A Developer That Has Closed Up Shop (SOLVED!)

storyteller

I have several old projects from circa 2008/2009 I am trying to remix and am running into a major hazard in the road. These projects use Linplug's old RMIV and RMV. Everything in the project was stemmed to Audio except these tracks. Ugh! I own licenses for both, but the company has closed its doors.

So current status: I have the latest version of RM V installed, but the plugin is not detected in any DAW. The component plugin just flatout crashes any DAW during the scanning, so I removed it. Anyway, it looks like this is going to be an end-around solution. The plugin uses D4T file formats for all of the samples. I assume this is just a binary file of some type for the developer to obfusicate the actual file type. Since I have not been able to get in touch with the developer, can anyone help me undertand how the heck I can convert the D4T samples into something usable? I don't mind putting them into another drum sampler and just hunting down the sounds.

I tried some online file converters to audio and that didn't work. So... help? :shocked: Thanks a million for whoever can help me solve this!

I'm attaching one of the samples for someone to check out. It is zipped, but the extracted file is the one in question.

Or... if someone knows Peter or Pavol from Linplug, that'd help me out as well!

Attachments

• 16InchCrash 2.D4T.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
I have read on the web that this product was released in the year 2008. You mind to download OSX 10.3 and test if it works there?

I have several old projects from circa 2008/2009 I am trying to remix and am running into a major hazard in the road. These projects use Linplug's old RMIV and RMV. Everything in the project was stemmed to Audio except these tracks. Ugh! I own licenses for both, but the company has closed its doors.

So current status: I have the latest version of RM V installed, but the plugin is not detected in any DAW. The component plugin just flatout crashes any DAW during the scanning, so I removed it. Anyway, it looks like this is going to be an end-around solution. The plugin uses D4T file formats for all of the samples. I assume this is just a binary file of some type for the developer to obfusicate the actual file type. Since I have not been able to get in touch with the developer, can anyone help me undertand how the heck I can convert the D4T samples into something usable? I don't mind putting them into another drum sampler and just hunting down the sounds.

I tried some online file converters to audio and that didn't work. So... help? :shocked: Thanks a million for whoever can help me solve this!

I'm attaching one of the samples for someone to check out. It is zipped, but the extracted file is the one in question.

Or... if someone knows Peter or Pavol from Linplug, that'd help me out as well!

I've converted it to AIF for you, if you have others to convert use this tool (dermiv, a python script to convert those files specifically. I take no credit for this tool, it was made by Andrew B.)

Attachments

• 16InchCrash2aif.zip
    437.2 KB · Views: 7
I have read on the web that this product was released in the year 2008. You mind to download OSX 10.3 and test if it works there?

I don't have a mac old enough to run 10.3 anymore. I thought about that as well. But good suggestion!

I've converted it to AIF for you, if you have others to convert use this tool (dermiv, a python script to convert those files specifically. I take no credit for this tool, it was made by Andrew B.)

Seriously - thank you so much! I just downloaded the tool. That's wild that someone built a tool specifically for this, but I'm glad they did!

Reactions: EgM
Seriously - thank you so much! I just downloaded the tool. That's wild that someone built a tool specifically for this, but I'm glad they did!

It was kinda hard to find, haha. But I like challenges like this, glad to help!

Last edited:
It was kinda hard to find, haha. But like challenges like this, glad to help!
One last question - I have dermiv copied into the folder where I want to test the file conversion. In this case, I am on an external drive. I load up terminal. I navigate to the folder via the cd command. Then I run the following:

./dermiv test.D4T test.aiff

It seems to run, but it doesn't seem to create a file anywhere. I also tried the batch script, which looks like it successfully loops through all of the files in terminal, but I don't see the exported files. I've never been a big terminal/command line guy so I am not really well versed with scripting from here. Any thoughts or guidance?

normally such commands export the files in the original folder of the original file, but maybe wait for @EgM advice or try it out.
That’s what I would have assumed too. I’m guessing it must just be something small like syntax or permissions. Hopefully EgM will know. I’m just thankful there is a script for this.

It's worked here. What are the permissions on that folder? It's possible it's trying to write the file and failing silently. I've got 775 on the folder I tried it on.

One last question - I have dermiv copied into the folder where I want to test the file conversion. In this case, I am on an external drive. I load up terminal. I navigate to the folder via the cd command. Then I run the following:

./dermiv test.D4T test.aiff

It seems to run, but it doesn't seem to create a file anywhere. I also tried the batch script, which looks like it successfully loops through all of the files in terminal, but I don't see the exported files. I've never been a big terminal/command line guy so I am not really well versed with scripting from here. Any thoughts or guidance?

I haven't tried on Windows or Mac, I would try from your user folder (i.e. C:\Users\xxxx\Documents\D4T\ ) to make sure it's not a permission issue.

If you still have issues, just send me a pm and I'll extract them for you in linux.

Hey Everyone,

I finally got it worked out on my end. It was a two-fold issue. One is that the original file was corrupted (dermiv was 0 bytes when extracted) so I had to redownload it. The other issue was that I had to run it from my user folder as suggested. Thanks to all that helped out with this!

Now I have 8770 samples to go through to figure out which 3 samples I used in this first song. :eek:. Oh well! That much closer. Plus I really dig the RMIV and RMV samples so this was a win-win situation to bring back the good stuff for my current music anyway.

EDIT: Also, for anyone trying this in the future, you will have to remove spaces from the file names when running the batch version of the script (unless there is a syntax change that is not suggested in the script's instructions).

Hey Everyone,

I finally got it worked out on my end. It was a two-fold issue. One is that the original file was corrupted (dermiv was 0 bytes when extracted) so I had to redownload it. The other issue was that I had to run it from my user folder as suggested. Thanks to all that helped out with this!

Now I have 8770 samples to go through to figure out which 3 samples I used in this first song. :eek:. Oh well! That much closer. Plus I really dig the RMIV and RMV samples so this was a win-win situation to bring back the good stuff for my current music anyway.

EDIT: Also, for anyone trying this in the future, you will have to remove spaces from the file names when running the batch version of the script (unless there is a syntax change that is not suggested in the script's instructions).

Glad you're up and running again! Other than the 9000 files and spaces in filenames... You can mass rename those easily through scripting though.

Code:
:renameNoSpace  [/R]  [FolderPath]
@echo off
setlocal disableDelayedExpansion
if /i "%~1"=="/R" (
  set "forOption=%~1 %2"
  set "inPath="
) else (
  set "forOption="
  if "%~1" neq "" (set "inPath=%~1\") else set "inPath="
)
for %forOption% %%F in ("%inPath%* *") do (
  if /i "%~f0" neq "%%~fF" (
    set "folder=%%~dpF"
    set "file=%%~nxF"
    setlocal enableDelayedExpansion
    echo ren "!folder!!file!" "!file: =!"
    ren "!folder!!file!" "!file: =!"
    endlocal
  )
)

Save it renameNoSpace.bat Make sure to backup your folder before you try this! (Credit: Stackoverflow)

Syntax:

renameNoSpace : (no arguments) Renames files in the current directory
renameNoSpace /R : Renames files in the folder tree rooted at the current directory
renameNoSpace myFolder : Renames files in the "myFolder" directory found in the current directory.
renameNoSpace "c:\my folder\" : Renames files in the specified path. Quotes are used because path contains a space.
renameNoSpace /R D:\ : Renames all files on the D: drive.

Last edited:
Hey Everyone,

I know its a bit cheeky but could you send me all those converted samples? I have the same issue and have no clue how to easily convert them? My old Mac died and the LinPlug drum machine won't work with my new Mac. If I can get the samples I can work with them.

I'm struggling with this and do not have a clue how to convert these files using dermiv? Python or terminal? I'm running macOS Catalina 10.15.6

Any help would be amazing

I'm struggling with this and do not have a clue how to convert these files using dermiv? Python or terminal? I'm running macOS Catalina 10.15.6

Any help would be amazing

Hi,

I think you should be comfortable with terminal before attempting this, the steps are:

• go in terminal (CMD+Space, type "terminal")

• cd Documents

• (at this point you need to have 'brew' installed)

• brew install wget

• wget https://dev.null.org/code/dermiv/dermiv-1.0.tar.bz2

• tar -zxvf dermiv-1.0.tar.bz2

• cd dermiv-1.0

• (extraction part starts here, test.D4T is the source file, test.aiff is the converted file)

• ./dermiv test.D4T test.aiff

• The converted file will be in your Documents under the folder "dermiv"

I'd love to be of more help but I don't even know what RMIV or RMV is, I'm just a musician/programmer/expert googler who likes a challenge :)

Hi,

I think you should be comfortable with terminal before attempting this, the steps are:

• cd Documents

• brew install wget

• cd dermiv-1.0

• (extraction part starts here, test.D4T is the source file, test.aiff is the converted file)

I'd love to be of more help but I don't even know what RMIV or RMV is, I'm just a musician/programmer/expert googler who likes a challenge :)

Hello,
I tried to convert multiple samples in the folder, with the instructions :

for sam in DrumMachines/TR-606Samples/*.D4T
do
dermiv $sam ConvertedSamples/TR-606/`basename $sam .D4T`.aif
done

But with no success, in terminal I have the message dermiv: command not found

Could you help me with some more instructions for convert multiple files at once.

Thank you

Hi,

• cd Documents

• brew install wget

• cd dermiv-1.0

Hi and thanks. I have been locked down away from my main computer so only just got round to working on this.

I have watched a couple of terminal videos on youtube and I think I understand the principals. I can't get past this point?

dermiv: error: Insufficient arguments

Not sure what to do next?

Hope you can help

Hi and thanks. I have been locked down away from my main computer so only just got round to working on this.

I have watched a couple of terminal videos on youtube and I think I understand the principals. I can't get past this point?

dermiv: error: Insufficient arguments

Not sure what to do next?

Hope you can help

Hi there,

The syntax is ./dermiv <D4TFile> <AIFFile>

Important to note that the files shouldn't contain spaces. What was your exact command line?

Hi there,

The syntax is ./dermiv <D4TFile> <AIFFile>

Important to note that the files shouldn't contain spaces. What was your exact command line?
Thanks so much, I'm getting there now, I have managed to convert one file so I should be good to do the rest now. I much prefer drag and drop to lines of code. Its killing my creativity.

Reactions: EgM
I think we are all handicapped here trying to help each other. It would have been nice to say "here ya go. all files extracted and converted are located here." But the issue is the copyright/sharing thing... so everyone unfortunately has to convert their own files on their own since we cannot really verify licenses with each other.

That said, the code will convert all files without having to do them individually. If I remember right, you just have to use a * for the file name. The test file is just a way to make sure you are doing it right.

Top Bottom