What's new

A little bit of impressionism

Oh no, I posted it in the wrong forum. Would somebody of the mod team be so kind an move it to the "Members's Compositions" forum?

You don't say whether you want feedback ... but here goes. I would mention two things: (i) the instrumentation is a bit in-your-face which is a little jarring for impressionism, and (ii) the piece is quite short and the nice motives you have in cello & bassoon could be developed to extend it. Cheers.

Hey man, I love the way the stings can oscillate back and forth between two notes like that without sounding synthetic! What library is that? Is it RR legato? Cheers :)

You don't say whether you want feedback ... but here goes. I would mention two things: (i) the instrumentation is a bit in-your-face which is a little jarring for impressionism, and (ii) the piece is quite short and the nice motives you have in cello & bassoon could be developed to extend it. Cheers.
Feedback is always appreciated and thank you for listening.
Can you further explain what you mean with the Instrumentation? I think I could have done a better job in handling the dynamics, achieving a rounder timbre. But maybe there is just too much of Stravinsky in me. Where would you start to tweak? Your second point is undoubtedly correct, I think I will come back to that piece if I have a little more time at my hand.

Hey man, I love the way the stings can oscillate back and forth between two notes like that without sounding synthetic! What library is that? Is it RR legato? Cheers :)
My secret sauce is Orchestral Tools - Berlin Strings EXP E. They recorded measured trills, so no legato script going on at all. They sound amazing in certain settings, I would not want to miss this precious little patch.

Can you further explain what you mean with the Instrumentation? I think I could have done a better job in handling the dynamics, achieving a rounder timbre. But maybe there is just too much of Stravinsky in me. Where would you start to tweak?
Instrumentation = your instruments playing. Upon listening again, 'jarring' might be too strong a word. The attached YouTube (and many others) could be used as a reference for the type of orchestration and recorded sound to aspire to for impressionism .. if that is what you are going for.

By in-your-face, I mean the instruments sound nearby (close mic) in spots, as if the listener were sitting on stage. Cheers.

Here is a short little piece I wrote, hope you enjoy:)

Hej Nils,
Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed the track. THe vibe is nice and the orchestration has some nice moments. What I miss a little bit is that "theme" and a structural component. It sounds a bit unfinished. You seem to like Debussy which is good, I think of La Mer a bit when listening to your piece. Probably you intend it as longer suite? So its very short and thematic presentation takes a way longer approach in longer suites but there is that thing..that one minute..just makes me wonder if that is what you end up doing with your creativity or presenting an introduction of what will come eventually? Its not clear. In isolation..it leaves me with that questions so far.

Instrumentation = your instruments playing. Upon listening again, 'jarring' might be too strong a word. The attached YouTube (and many others) could be used as a reference for the type of orchestration and recorded sound to aspire to for impressionism .. if that is what you are going for.

By in-your-face, I mean the instruments sound nearby (close mic) in spots, as if the listener were sitting on stage. Cheers.

I see what you mean, thank you for pointing that out. Interesting what you said about the close/dry balance, I got a few critics latley for being to wet in my mixes. Thx!

Hej Nils,
Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed the track. The vibe is nice and the orchestration has some nice moments. What I miss a little bit is that "theme" and a structural component. It sounds a bit unfinished. You seem to like Debussy which is good, I think of La Mer a bit when listening to your piece. Probably you intend it as longer suite? So its very short and thematic presentation takes a way longer approach in longer suites but there is that thing..that one minute..just makes me wonder if that is what you end up doing with your creativity or presenting an introduction of what will come eventually? Its not clear. In isolation..it leaves me with that questions so far.

Thank you for your comment, respect your mockups a lot!
About the development part, you right. I study a lot upon on that topic at the conservatorium right now. Give me 2 more years;)
The 1-minute mark is very convenient for me right now. Between all the study work and projects I do there is not too much time for own passion projects. So when I have time. I like to explore different styles on a day off. Ideal for pitching to directors aswell. Most of them skip after 15 sec anyway. Very short attention in the internet. But I have a 4minute String-Quartet coming up, maybe you could chime in there too, there is at least some form structure;)

Top Bottom