What's new

A clear example of VST guitars gone wrong

Now we just need a video on creating a convincing VST narrator. ☺

I don't know man, I have played the guitar for 16 years and the way they behave sound the same to me. I can't believe experienced guitar plays can't see how radically different this song is compared to the Santana comparison.

Actually a VI could do exactly that. As a matter of fact, if you were to play that same solo on a midi keyboard, it would sound exactly the way it sounds in this song.

OK, I'll challenge you to post an audio clip showing that. Play the same solo, let's compare it. The thing is, you can hear the little details in this, that makes it sound real. The little changes each time the same note, same transition is played etc.

Sure, here

Nah.
Play the same line in with a VST guitar and see how realistic it sounds.
In this example i can easily tell its samples even though its buried in a whole arrangement. Bends, vibrato, slide transitions etc always sound fake with samples.

Never thought I'd hear someone say that.

Why? Modern R&B uses so many elements that were started by early Hip Hop pioneers. I mean the concept of sampling is a technological development of taking vinyl and combining excerpts of tracks and combining them.

I still don't know why its called R&B though as its got nothing to do with rhythm & blues (wheres the blues element)? BB King was R&B in his time as was to an extent Chuck Berry!!

Classic R&B to me is the Yardbirds or the Animals... but I digress.

With regard to the guitar in the clip, listened again and to me that still sounds like a real guitar. If you have a high gain pickup every time you lift off the plectrum you will get that sound. Metal bands that use that tone do a lot of edits in post production the zero out any noises. This is an unedited sound and is mimicing Santana.

Now whether this is specially recorded or the performance has been lifted of another record is another matter.

Why? Modern R&B uses so many elements that were started by early Hip Hop pioneers. I mean the concept of sampling is a technological development of taking vinyl and combining excerpts of tracks and combining them.
Because Hip Hop started by using R&B, among other genres. Odd to see/hear it the other way around.

And I agree, the term R&B is used quite loosely, including what I'd consider Hip Hop with someone singing instead of rapping. But I have an issue with how both Hip Hop & R&B are categorized today. Too much lumped together.

It's not Rock, Metal or Jazz. It's Modern R&B. Nobody cares if it sound realistic or not. It's like arguing that synthesized violin in electronic music track 'X' doesn't sound realistic. It doesn't and it doesn't for purpose.
Every genre have different specifications. Sometimes unrealistic sound is what people want and in this particular example it sounds like this because Khaled wanted it to sound like that. Believe me, if he would want to make realistic sounding guitar he could call Slash to play for him :)
About Guitar VST's... once I made track with my friend. He played real gtr solo and I made rhythm guitars on VST. His friends thought that my part was real guitar and his was not ;)

Because Hip Hop started by using R&B, among other genres. Odd to see/hear it the other way around.

And I agree, the term R&B is used quite loosely, including what I'd consider Hip Hop with someone singing instead of rapping. But I have an issue with how both Hip Hop & R&B are categorized today. Too much lumped together.

Ah yes if by that you mean "original" R&B then yes. I was referencing what is now called R&B which to me is an odd term for it as there's not much Blues in it...

doesn't matter really, not the focus of the song, isn't it vocals and then pff everything else with pop?

Also maybe the synthetic sound suits the song in the example you posted. I've heard a bunch of similar things done with trumpet sounds, strings etc.

pretty sure DJ Khalid and Rhianna et al haven't the time or inclination to check in on our opinions on the guitar solo on this song, which was a #1 hit on billboard charts. Not that that's the point, I know. I thought it was okay sounding, I am in awe of anyone who can negotiate the pop music playing field and rise consistently to the top, as Rhianna has. I think she is supremely talented.

pretty sure DJ Khalid and Rhianna et al haven't the time or inclination to check in on our opinions on the guitar solo on this song, which was a #1 hit on billboard charts. Not that that's the point, I know. I thought it was okay sounding, I am in awe of anyone who can negotiate the pop music playing field and rise consistently to the top, as Rhianna has. I think she is supremely talented.

And, she's a REALY nice and gracious person as well. I love it when folks like that are successful.

Top Bottom