A Christmas Orchestral piece... all Spitfire and Berlin.

Discussion in 'Member's Compositions' started by Ben E, Dec 4, 2018 at 2:12 PM.

1. Ben E

Ben E Senior Member

Jul 5, 2017
  2. Kony

Kony Senior Member

Jul 29, 2016
    Great work Ben - really enjoyed this piece! :)

Edit: I should add that the emotional expressiveness comes through very clearly and shows exceptional attention to detail with the orchestration and articulations etc - also, the clarity of your sound is the holy grail as far as I'm concerned. Would love to know which libraries and reverb/eq settings etc

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018 at 4:04 PM
  3. OP
    OP
    Ben E

Ben E Senior Member

Jul 5, 2017
    Thanks Kony. All the Spitfire stuff is just native room reverb, strings just tree mics, horns tree and a little ambient. Everything else is just tree mics. But for the rest I'm using Valhalla Room -- one of the hall presets called Flarhgunnstow Hall. I use the Logic main EQ to roll off the high end from all the woodwinds, celeste, triangle. Nothing else is EQd. Strings are SSS, brass SSB, solo woodwinds are Berlin except for the oboe, which is SSW. Ensemble woodwinds are Albion 1 (the old version, not "one.") The percussion is all from Spitfire's main percussion library. And I also used that amazing octave legato string patch from Albion One.

josephspirits likes this.
  4. Kony

Kony Senior Member

Jul 29, 2016
    Thank you for the info Ben - much appreciated!

Ben E likes this.
  5. Andoran

Andoran Member

Nov 14, 2015
    Wonderful piece. So much expressiveness and nuance, so much orchestral detail. The mix is also 1st rate. Well done indeed.

Henu and Ben E like this.
  6. OleJoergensen

OleJoergensen Senior Member

Jul 16, 2015
    Denmark
    Lovely and elegant Ben. I aslo admire the clarity and transparency of your mix.

Ben E and CGR like this.
  7. CGR

CGR Pianist/Composer/Arranger

Jan 14, 2016
    Australia
    Very impressive Ben. I can 'hear' the many hours you've put into this, and what a result. Superb.

8. Alex Fraser

Alex Fraser Senior Member

Jun 21, 2017
    Stunning Ben. Sounds like a real orchestra at so many points in the music.
    I massively enjoyed this track and I've saved it for the inevitable re-listens. You nailed the xmas vibe.

One thing you have that I think many others don't (apart from your obvious talent and skill!) is taste. You seem to know when "enough is enough" and you have a natural ear for what works, both in the melody and arrangement.

Also, your mix is a great reminder to those who's idea of mixing is to throw every plugin at every track. Choosing the best sounds sources at the start appears to win the day.

As always, a fan.
    Al

PS: Spitfire really ought to start crossing your palm with silver for some demos...

Henu and CGR like this.
  9. zolhof

zolhof Senior Member

Jun 27, 2014
    Silent Hill
    Ben, it's always a joy to listen to your work. Not only I'm a fan of the music, but I also love how the samples breathe life through your programming. You nailed it!

But man, you almost drove me crazy with that initial motif... I keep hearing Lennon singing Happy Xmas but it's like he's stuck at the first two lines. :laugh: Was that an intentional nod or just a happy coincidence?

Ben E likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    Ben E

Ben E Senior Member

Jul 5, 2017
    Ha! At first it was not intentional. It just sounded to me like a regal progression. A little Lutheran. But as the piece progressed I kept hearing it followed by a minor chord that I knew I'd heard before. I recognized it as Lennon, children singing, but didn't know which song. I'm afraid this happens to me a lot. Cultural saturation and all that. At first I'm like, "Look at me go!" Then I'm like, "Oh, wait."

zolhof likes this.
  11. OP
    OP
    Ben E

Ben E Senior Member

Jul 5, 2017
    Thank you, Alex. And especially for the comment on taste. That really means a lot. I think that if, for instance, a thread about taste were started on this forum a good deal of it would (should, rather) be focused on resisting the urge to let the wow factor of samples take over one's true inclinations. Or, more precisely, being able to tell the difference between the two. I sometimes wonder how different all of our compositions would be if we always kept the instrument slave to our ear. I'm still working on that.

Alex Fraser likes this.
  12. Alex Fraser

Alex Fraser Senior Member

Jun 21, 2017
    It’s a sign of skill when the ear runs the show, rather than the tech. ;)