A call to Sample Developers Spinoff - Mike Verta's mocking the seriousness of Coronanavirus

ism

I think Mike Verta allready does this. 40% off with:
COUPON CODE: coronahysteria
Which , in the context of Mike's hard right inflected twitter feed, itself reflects a certain kind of irresponsible rhetoric that's circulating.

Not that his master classes aren't great though. I'm thinking that another one might just be the thing to survive months of social distancing.

OP
M

MartinH.

Which itself, in the context of Mike's hard right inflected twitter feed, itself reflect the kind of irresponsible rhetoric that's circulating.

Not that his master classes aren't great though. I'm thinking that another one might just be the thing to survive months of social distancing.
Yeah, I don't read his twitter feed, but this is definitely a topic where I'm strongly disagreeing with him and I'm not surprised by his stance, based on comments he made in the past. I didn't want to drag that aspect here into the thread, I just wanted to share the info about the sale, but the coupon code makes it impossible to focus on "just the sale". I'm counting on the compassion and intelligence of the people here to stay at home and not have this statement be the thing that sways their choices in a dangerous way.

ism

Yeah, I don't read his twitter feed, but this is definitely a topic where I'm strongly disagreeing with him and I'm not surprised by his stance, based on comments he made in the past. I didn't want to drag that aspect here into the thread, I just wanted to share the info about the sale, but the coupon code makes it impossible to focus on "just the sale". I'm counting on the compassion and intelligence of the people here to stay at home and not have this statement be the thing that sways their choices in a dangerous way.
You're right of course. But I though the subtlety of how the coupon code invokes a certain type of rhetoric should at least be pointed out in it's context.

It's not "hysteria" if it saves 2.2 million lives in the US alone (as per the Imperial College epidemiology projections).

History will decide whether this sort of thing is either poor judgement, or criminally negligent

(And the comments are even worst, Pro-trump conspiracy theories)

Last edited:

Jeremy Spencer

You're right of course. But I though the subtlety of how the coupon code invokes a certain type of rhetoric should at least be pointed out in it's context.

It's not "hysteria" if it saves 2.2 million lives in the US alone (as per the Imperial College epidemiology projections).

History will decide whether this sort of thing is either poor judgement, or criminally negligent

Wow! I just read his tweets...all my respect for this guy has just vaporized. I thought he had more class (and maturity) than this.

Jimmy Hellfire

Standard rule: never ask musicians and athletes for social or political commentary.

ism

Standard rule: never ask musicians and athletes for social or political commentary.
Didn't want to make this a political thread. And I respect Mike as a musician, composer and a person, even if I don't care for his political views (which is why I don't follow his twitter).

But the point is that he let his politics, however subtly, slip subtly into his coupon code. In fact given his status as a corona-virus-seriousness-denier, you could almost interpret the sale as cynical.

Some context:

My father was at a local coffee shop over the weekend (a day before the first case was reported in the city). And two guys there were spewing this kind of stuff about it's all completely overblown. Which absolutely no one is say - except Fox News and other water carriers for the narcism and science denial of the White House administration.

My father is also in a highly vulnerable group in this pandemic. And so this isn't about respecting a diversity of political opinions. It's about how they risk actively are putting the lives of people like my father - and indeed all of us - at risk.

Moreover, this kind of alternate-fact anti-science ideological narcissism has also, at least in certain places, led to the best opportunity to stop the pandemic before it began being missed when the experts were shouting to do learn from Asia and something *now*. And if you look at the polls, it's clear that, disproportionately, it's people in these right wing bubbles that are dismissing the seriousness of the situation, and therefore putting themselves and everyone else at risk.

It's also very highly likely that this narcissistic science-denialism will continue to make the containment efforts less effective, since it's now a matter of one's political identity to not believe the science. Which could very easily mean a longer period of musician being screwed. And in this senses, it is also - and this is a fact and not a lefty hoax - materially contributing to the hardship that so many people here are experiencing.

And yes, I know it's just a coupon code. And yes, I really didn't want this to become politicized. And yes, I don't particularly want to come to vi-c for pro- or anti-Trump rants.

But when the seriousness of this denial is something threatening the 2.2 million death and/or the mass destruction of livelihoods and is dismissed as another lefty anti-Trump hoax ("like climate change"), then at some point this is just not a matter of partisanship or of respecting a diversity of political opinion.

And I just though it needs to be called out, in part because it was so subtly and seemingly innocuously seeping into the coupon code. And coupon codes shouldn't be a legitimate platform for this kind of stuff either.

Genuinely sorry for the rant all. And the politics. But there it is.

Last edited:

Mason

When Mike Verta says something like that, as irrational as it is, he probably doesn’t care what other people think about it.

But yes, developers and everyone else is suffering. Just think about the fact that developers won’t be able to record anything for a very long time, at least not with a choir, orchestra or other ensembles. So it means they won’t have anything to release and get new income from.

AEF

When Mike Verta says something like that, as irrational as it is, he probably doesn’t care what other people think about it.

But yes, developers and everyone else is suffering. Just think about the fact that developers won’t be able to record anything for a very long time, at least not with a choir, orchestra or other ensembles. So it means they won’t have anything to release and get new income from.
Why is Mike Verta discussed so much? What has this dude accomplished in this industry?

JeffvR

Yeah coupon codes with covid in it are really disrespectful. You don't put cancer in a coupon either right? Just send Mike to Italy and see if the reaction in the US is wildly insanely disproportional...

To go back on topic: composers are out of work and money. Developers depend on composers so it's probably not gonna happen.

Last edited:

AEF

Thanks for making my point.

I would think you have to be a “master” to give a “masterclass”. Four B movies and a lot of hot air later and this guy is put on a pedestal, which he uses to criticize actual masters of the craft.

Anyways, this is derailing the thread...

ism

With LA and NY health officials screaming for resources as hospitals are about to be overwhelmed, I don't think it will take a trip to Italy to convince anyone that coronavirus-denial lacks a certain scientific perspective on reality for long.

Anyway, I didn't mean for my critiques to lead to personal attacks on Mike. He seems like a really nice guy, politics aside. And his masterclasses are really superb, and represent real innovation in musical pedagogy.

But would like to invite Mike to change his coupon code to something like "coronasolidarity". "corona-together-we-stand". Or "Conona-we-must-all-hang-together-or-we-will-surely-hang-seperately".

Until then, I certainly won't buying anything with a "coronahysteria" coupon code.

In fact, I'd like to suggest that this is a great to call out this kind of mis-information calmly and without any excessive personal attacks.

ism

Sorry to harp on this, but just noticed even the link to the sale:

Has this dangerous and irresponsible mis-information

"And just in case the reaction to Corona Virus turns out to be as wildly, insanely disproportional as calculators say it is, you'll be that much more prepared to write songs about the whole thing when it's over."

So some mathematical calculations:

time to first 100 000 cases: 3 months
time for the next 100 000 cases: 12 days.

Elementary school calculators (from the era when Mike and I grew up) don't have a button for exponential growth and decay. And composers maybe not need to do this kind of calculation every day (unless they have to deal with, say, money or investments). But sorry to be a pretentious lefty coastal anti-trump libtard hoax monger, but this is basic 1st year calculus. Well within the grasp of human understanding since at least the 16th century.

d.healey

Music Monkey
Might be time to split this thread off :)

What film was the used for?
It wasn't. Not every piece of music needs to be used in a film.

Why is this master not working in the industry
He is. Not big blockbusters though, Mike's musical tastes aren't really in demand in Hollywood and he doesn't care much for the movies either. But he writes music, directs commercials, and does visual effects work.

he supposedly knows everything about?
Who made that claim?