1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A bit of Korngold - excerpt from Kings Row

Discussion in 'Member's Compositions' started by muk, Mar 12, 2018.

1. muk

muk Senior Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Hi everyone,

thinking about writing some nostalgic sweet strings pieces, so I made a mockup of an excerpt of Korngold's Kings Row as a preparation. High strings playing loudly are a bit of a nemesis for sample libraries as it quickly tends to sound synthy. I tried to avoid that as much as possible. The compromise is that there is not quite as much bite as I would like to have.

Korngolds music and orchestration is phenomenal, so there was a lot to learn from it. As always, any comments are appreciated:

https://app.box.com/s/ivvpyuj14vbmmsrglbsrl00jkmt5k802

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
    TGV, Gerald, ghandizilla and 4 others like this.
  2. Paul T McGraw

Paul T McGraw Senior Member

Feb 14, 2012
    Awesome! Sounds beautiful.

muk likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    muk

muk Senior Member

Jan 21, 2009
  4. T.j.

T.j. Senior Member

Feb 24, 2017
    Amsterdam
    Excellent!

muk likes this.
  5. AlexanderSchiborr

AlexanderSchiborr Senior Member

May 1, 2014
    Nice muk. You can try to get better results with the rendering when you work with more dynamics in the strings. I know to pull off that with samples is always pretty challenging. What I would do is also to use a reference for a/b which can also help for the right phrasing, tempo idiomatics for live performance as well. Also you can inject a bit more "oldschool" sound into the strings, by trying to lowcut the very high hiss, but adding a a nice curve before the 12 KhZ. Maybe a settle layering with a small ensemble with molto Vibrato expression would add more intention to the longs?

What did you learn from that excerpt. I know Korngold quite a bit and did transcribe a few bars from the Kings Row Main Title. Thank you for sharing.

6. OP
    OP
    muk

muk Senior Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Thanks @T.j. !
    Thanks for your input Alexander. The dynamics are a bit limited because I found that it starts to sound fake quickly if I use the highest dynamics in the high register. But maybe there is a bit more leeway, I'll experiment with that.

Orchestrational things mostly. His use of the harp and the celesta is very clever, something I never would have thought of myself. Especially the celesta. You don't even hear that it is there, but if it wasn't you would hear that it is not - if that makes any sense. And the way he uses divisi throughout is a takeaway too.

7. Gerald

Gerald Senior Member

Oct 15, 2012
    FRANCE
    Excellent work!

muk likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    muk

muk Senior Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Thank you Gerald.