What's new

A 4:43 piece that I wrote in... 4:43, and share your improvisation, raw and all!

Rodney Money

On V.I. avoiding work.
I don't know why I am sharing this, maybe because I feel that I am among friends here and can share openly, but I've been inspired or foolish enough to try a technique that I have actually seen performed on stage in front of a live audience. My old trombone college professor, the great Dr. McKinney, has a chamber group of friends where they will simply improvise a work for around 5 minutes. Sometimes, they will do several of these in an entire concert where one member will come up with a theme on the spot on which to base the piece upon, and it all happens in real time. I hit record in Cubase, and played this in without editing the performance whatsoever with the exception of some added swells in which I could not reach the slider while recording. So here is a complete raw improv, and please let me offer my uttermost complete apology if this was a complete waste of your time.

That's a good exercise. I'd never thought of doing that with samples. A solo acoustic perhaps, but not a sample library. Thanks for sharing
And thank you for taking the time to listen. Try it, it's fun and easy. The difficult part is sharing it with others.

Here's the 1st improvisation that sparked my interest to try something like that also. Dr. McKinney is on trombone:

Dude I like this...this is basically how I write this stuff, having no formal training.

I don't know that I'd share it here yet though...props to you for doing so.

Dude I like this...this is basically how I write this stuff, having no formal training.

I don't know that I'd share it here yet though...props to you for doing so.
Well I thank you, my friend! It is sometimes fun just to hit record and play not worrying about rendering and theory such as part writing. I love theory, use it all the time, but as long as it doesn't interfere too much with what I am trying to say. You write how ever you want to write, my friend. Just keep expressing yourself, and if you ever share, I will listen.

Thanks for sharing Rodney Money... I like your improv. I often do this. Sometimes I analyse back to possibly use the chord structure and other times I use as-is or throw it away or love it... music can be very personal and unique in it's creation. I have a piece with guitar and a simple beat loop in one take which is full of mistakes, but i couldn't repeat it if I tried and has some cool phrases... if I find it I'll post it!

Thanks for sharing Rodney Money... I like your improv. I often do this. Sometimes I analyse back to possibly use the chord structure and other times I use as-is or throw it away or love it... music can be very personal and unique in it's creation. I have a piece with guitar and a simple beat loop in one take which is full of mistakes, but i couldn't repeat it if I tried and has some cool phrases... if I find it I'll post it!
Absolutely, my friend, and if you do find it please do share. I would love to hear more of this "music in the moment."

Found it Rodney, in all it's imperfection! (Forgot to mention synth pad..)

Thank you so much for sharing, my friend, I could definitely hear a lot of soul in your playing. It was like a mixture of ethereal blues with the flat 3rds mixed with soul and new age blended all together with a touch of Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure's music when they visited the future! Thank you again for sharing your talent with us.

Thanks, but I thought more people would throw their improvs in the ring...
Let's see if we can get something started then. I might change the title of the thread to help out. Thank you for sharing once again!

Cool takes you guys.....I said above, I do this quite a bit, depending on mood. Did this the other day, woke up to rain and a bit of bad news, and it put me in a low mood and this popped out. Sorry, it's guitar based...all one take though, just to capture that mood.

I think it's a good idea. It could also become a contest of the best impro made with orchestral samples libraries. :P
I would also be a good contest idea, to set a time-limit for a personnal compo; for example one hour / 30 minutes / 10 minutes...

Cool takes you guys.....I said above, I do this quite a bit, depending on mood. Did this the other day, woke up to rain and a bit of bad news, and it put me in a low mood and this popped out. Sorry, it's guitar based...all one take though, just to capture that mood.

Love it, man. I am so sorry you were going through a rough patch in your day, but I am happy that you decided to express yourself and share with us.

I think it's a good idea. It could also become a contest of the best impro made with orchestral samples libraries. :P
I would also be a good contest idea, to set a time-limit for a personnal compo; for example one hour / 30 minutes / 10 minutes...
Sounds like a good plan to me!

Top Bottom