What's new

A 200 tracks project with a 1m:45s save time ....

fustrun

Hey all!

I am experiencing something rather annoying where save times are actually 1 minute and 45 seconds .. it is insane and a terrible workflow killer ... what are your save times when using your templates/projects? (Experimented on both a SSD and a mechanical drive and same received save times.)

Kontakt 6
Cubase 10 latest version
Windows 10
no more than 200 tracks and %20 are frozen.
Lots of UAD, Waves and other plugins on it.

Any ideas? this is just killing me!

Thanks!

I was having problems with big save times on my Windows slave PC and Vienna Ensemble, in my case it turned out to be Windows Defender turning itself back on. I'd excluded all my drives but it was still bogging things down. That could be a place to check.

I will try that when i get home however i still have a 240mb project? is that a normal file size?

My save time is something like 2 seconds on Cubase for a project.
More like 30 seconds on VE-Pro for my template.

240mb the file size.. it's pretty legit! You are hosting a lot of Kontakt or wathever instances on your project. All the data from each instances (such as parameters etc) has to be saved somewhere.

A similar save will take me around 20 seconds, but I'm on Kontakt 5.7 and Cubase 9.5.

EDIT: My DAW is running on Windows 10 Home which has been offline since January 2018 - so I don't have the Spectre updates etc

That's abnormal. I built templates of 1000+ tracks, mostly single Kontakt instances all disabled to start, and save times with nothing activated was around 3 seconds. Once I activated some 25+ tracks, my saves were 10 seconds or so.

Hey all!

I am experiencing something rather annoying where save times are actually 1 minute and 45 seconds .. it is insane and a terrible workflow killer ... what are your save times when using your templates/projects? (Experimented on both a SSD and a mechanical drive and same received save times.)

Kontakt 6
Cubase 10 latest version
Windows 10
no more than 200 tracks and %20 are frozen.
Lots of UAD, Waves and other plugins on it.

Any ideas? this is just killing me!

Thanks!

Had the same issue in Reaper, found out that save-time scales with non-frozen tracks, not with tracks in general. So try freezing all and see how fast it saves. Then unfreeze as needed and see how it affects save-times.

Seems like there is an issue with my setup .. might be a VST plugin ... i already reached my FLS limit so there are a lot of things going on .. i am guessing that i need to disable them one by one and see who's the culprit ...

Also thank you for your pitching in .. please for those of you that are sharing template load times please include the fact if you are using VE pro or not since this could affect the length of the save (I am not currently using it)

I have 300 tracks in my current project (with only 83 enabled), and it saves in about 5 seconds. But my projects is also 230Mb. It seems that the project file size is linked to the number of tracks, a full song and a nearly empty projects with almost all tracks disabled are about the same size.
I am not using VE Pro.

So yes, it looks like an issue with your setup, maybe you can try to disable all you plugins before trying them one by one, to make sure it comes from on of them.

I've found that certain Kontakt libraries (e.g. OT) cause save bloat and loading times, presumably due to the way their engines are scripted, at least in Reaper. I'm not sure how this translates to other DAWs though. It's not anywhere near what you're describing, but still... my blank Berlin Inspire template is a 91mb Reaper project file (other projects without those libs tend to be 5-10mb), and saving (and obviously loading), by comparison to a project using different libs, isn't exactly instantaneous, even with just 6 multichannel instances of Kontakt (no VEP).

Maybe it has something to do with plugins saving undo states or something like that, just a wild guess though.

Interesting .. are you guys using MIDI or Instrument tracks? also what windows version and Cubase version?

NI Action strikes is a known offender in this matter too.

I use it decoupled in VEP, to avoid long saving times.

You should try making a test template copy and start taking kontakt instances out and then saving to see which ones are part of the problem.

UPDATE:
So i have deactivated all the tracks i didn't use and ended up 167/342 tracks.
Have uninstalled my Antivirus and disabled windows defender.
Turned off all mixing plugins i didn't use.

Result is 12 sec saving time (on SSD and no VEP) ... hope this helps someone.

Interesting .. are you guys using MIDI or Instrument tracks? also what windows version and Cubase version?
Personally I use all single instrument tracks. I like the simplicity for mixing and what not. No VEP for me, tried it and hated it. I forgot about offending libraries, yes Action Strikes, 8Dio Anthology, slow everything down, maybe others. I am saving to an nVME drive, and my projects were at least 500+mb each. I've since left the huge template way of doing things for a more bare bones one, and creating track presets instead. This is in Logic mind you, Cubase/Media Bay was a dog...

The same problem
many large sound libraries are in K6, and paly(Hollywood series)
The save time of a single machine is 10 seconds, (cubase 10 \win10)

It will be easy to connect VEPRO (template) in MIDI mode as a dual machine interconnection,

but exporting audio multi-tracks is a troublesome thing

Is there a better way to save in 1-2 seconds?

I've found that certain Kontakt libraries (e.g. OT) cause save bloat and loading times, presumably due to the way their engines are scripted, at least in Reaper. I'm not sure how this translates to other DAWs though. It's not anywhere near what you're describing, but still... my blank Berlin Inspire template is a 91mb Reaper project file (other projects without those libs tend to be 5-10mb), and saving (and obviously loading), by comparison to a project using different libs, isn't exactly instantaneous, even with just 6 multichannel instances of Kontakt (no VEP).

Maybe it has something to do with plugins saving undo states or something like that, just a wild guess though.
capsule multi's have a TON of control but also a TON of variables for each instance.

they also tend to have a lot of samples and mics, so a lot more zones. both of these contribute a lot to these save/load times.

ofcourse they come with benefits, but it certainly adds up

200 tracks? Then your score has 200 different instruments?
If you work with templates you load all instruments you don't need as well. Delete unused instruments...

Also: With so many instruments, you can't tell me that instrument No. 137 necessarily needs an EQ a compressor and a... , otherwise the mix wouldn't be right... You can probably delete half of your EQs and other effects because the sample libraries have been tuned with great care and monitoring by the manufacturers. So often we "adjust" with 200 EQs the sound here and there and with a second amount of 200 EQs we correct "those adjustments" at another place within the mixer... ;)

With such big mixing projects you have to collect instruments on group tracks (e.g. all strings, woodwinds etc.) and use effects only there. This is usually enough.

All the best
Beat

I'm writing a track at the minute. All instrument tracks, no VEPro template. Cubase 10.5.20

So far I have 94 enabled Instrument tracks with Kontakt (Latest) loaded on each one. I just timed a save. 6.77 Seconds.

Pretty good. I feel it with autosave though. VEPro template is about 2 Seconds. Maybe less (I'll time it when I fire my template up next).

CPU usage for the 12 Core Mac Pro Pro 6,1 is (with a sample buffer of 512)...

Screenshot 2020-09-10 at 00.25.58.png

This, to me, is more impressive. Maybe I'm just used to using a shitty iMac and the 12 Core feels good in comparison.

Top Bottom