What's new

8dio Studio Quartet - a new studio (solo) strings library (teaser on Youtube)

Short but sweet. The portamento still feels a bit canned but everything else is really nice.
They do sound as if they’d blend in nicely with the Century stuff. Now, let’s hope the Century Woodwinds will also get a release. Recently I specifically asked and I received an answer that they at least are on some roadmap or other. Also, wasn’t Century Strings 2.0 scheduled for a Q2 release?

It does seem like 8Dio is looking to improve the quality of their libraries of late. The players they are recording, along with the programming improvements, is making my wallet crawl out of the dark depths of my breeches.

They do sound as if they’d blend in nicely with the Century stuff. Now, let’s hope the Century Woodwinds will also get a release. Recently I specifically asked and I received an answer that they at least are on some roadmap or other. Also, wasn’t Century Strings 2.0 scheduled for a Q2 release?
I don't own any of the Century libraries but Troels posted a video in January stating they would be released in Q2 of this year. If these have louder dynamics then I'd imagine they might also be good 1st chairs, but I have a feeling that's not the intent and they'll stick to the "intimate" string quartet route.

I don't own any of the Century libraries but Troels posted a video in January stating they would be released in Q2 of this year. If these have louder dynamics then I'd imagine they might also be good 1st chairs, but I have a feeling that's not the intent and they'll stick to the "intimate" string quartet route.
True, by the sound of it it is very much intended as such. Does the “Studio” imply a particular dry recording style? 88 articulations sure sounds like a lot though...

It does seem like 8Dio is looking to improve the quality of their libraries of late. The players they are recording, along with the programming improvements, is making my wallet crawl out of the dark depths of my breeches.

I have the same impression. I bought couple of 8Dio libraries in the past, but I am not using them much, they are kind of 'meh'. However, I recently bought their studio tenor sax and 'fire trumpet', and this time I am not dissapointed. Significantly better than my previous 8Dio purchases.

This does appear to be a new level of a solo violin, certainly for 8DIO. I'm very intrigued and looking forward to the details. I love the tone and it seems both agile and playable.

The Violin sounds great. Price ? Library Size ?

Oh.. I Just noticed that they will be releasing the rest of the quartet instruments in the coming weeks.

I was thinking about buying the OT-Tablue Solo Strings but so far didn't do it, but this Violin from 8Dio sounds much better, richer timbre, not nasal sounding.

Last edited:
It sounds great, but I hope "ultra deep sampled" and "88 articulations" are different things.

Wide, seamless dynamics, lots of round robins for both shorts and longs, flexible attacks, releases, transitions and rebowing... that's ultra deep sampled.

88 articulations? Well, ok, but it's a freakin' violin....

The Violin sounds great. Price ? Library Size ?

Oh.. I Just noticed that they will be releasing the rest of the quartet instruments in the coming weeks.

I was thinking about buying the OT-Tablue Solo Strings but so far didn't do it, but this Violin from 8Dio sounds much better, richer timbre, not nasal sounding.
Yes I am in the same boat. The OT one initially got some rave reviews here, but the enthusiasm waned quickly. Now, it may have a totally different price point than this one of course. But I’d rather invest in a library that truly sounds good. I have a lot of strings sounds at my disposal, but that true legato sound is still missing. I’ve been considering the Cinesamples “3 for 50% off” deal (two Tina Guo volumes) and Embertone JB. But I think I’ll wait until later this week to learn more about this one, e.g. sound of other articulations, price point per instrument, release dates for the other three, etc. Then I’ll wait for some actual user reviews as well this time ;)

It sounds great, but I hope "ultra deep sampled" and "88 articulations" are different things.

Wide, seamless dynamics, lots of round robins for both shorts and longs, flexible attacks, releases, transitions and rebowing... that's ultra deep sampled.

88 articulations? Well, ok, but it's a freakin' violin....
Good points!

Top Bottom