What's new

8Dio Sample Aid #6 Studio Steel Drum

8Dio Sample Aid #6 Studio Steel Drum

steel2.jpg

8Dio Studio Steel Drum represents an extreme deep-sampled Steel Drum and is our biggest sample aid library to date.

The instrument is comprised of more than 55.000 samples, 5 true vintage microphone positions, 2 world-class reverbs (Bricasti & TC6000). The 8Dio Studio Steel Drum was custom designed for 8Dio. We wanted the instrument to cover all ranges from bass to treble, but have them all contained inside a singular Steel Drum. We sampled the instrument with several mallet types (ex. Beaters, Felt Mallet, Brushes, Hands, Nails, Rattles, FX, etc) at up to 10 velocity layers and 10 repetitions.

We recorded the instrument with four vintage microphone options including Neumann, Neve, Coles, Royers. And also included a mixed microphone position, which loads like the default setting. Everything was carefully recorded & processed at 24bit / 96k at our British Studio through a historic custom Neve desk before being carefully downsampled to 48k for ease of streaming. The core content was captured with a variety of mallet types, from rubber beaters and felt mallets to brushes and hands. Additionally, we sampled prepared and percussive techniques. All of which with multiple dynamics and repetitions to allow for maximum realism. In addition to all of this, the library gives you full control over the dynamic response and tonal qualities, so the perfect sound can be dialed in just for you. We included full control over resonance, room tone, keyboard response, and transient shape.

- Official Walkthrough -

- Official Demos -

X-Bassist

Does anyone have this that they can comment on the mapping of the samples and how it feels to play? 8Dio has a nack for having a great sound (which this does) but not working on the playability, ie, mapping the samples so they play predictively without any volume jumps as you play up and down the keyboard. It’s kept me from using 8dio products before, and I’d like some testimony. :)

brynolf

I have it. Sounds good but requires some midi tweaking (Granted, I'm not a great keyboardist)

X-Bassist

I have it. Sounds good but requires some midi tweaking (Granted, I'm not a great keyboardist)
This seems to be common with 8Dio. I wish they would spend more time working out sample volume differences across the keyboard. Problem with so much “ultra deep sampling” is you have to spend the time to balance thousands of samples including round robins in multiple articulations. Yet if you don’t then the composer is either trying to tweak midi to compensate, or they are trying to fix it themselves, which depending on the layout and
Group labeling, can be impossible for anyone who didn’t create it.

It’s frustrating on something like this, where the samples sound good and there are few other replacements besides the Kontakt factory library (which is not terrible).

Top Bottom