What's new

8Dio Ostinato Winds Vol. 1 & 2 (coming April 17th 2021)

8Dio News

It's finally here!!! Check out our walkthrough video for Ostinato Winds, which will be released (April 17th, 2021) Ostinato Woodwinds Volume 1 includes Flutes and Clarinets and Volume 2 includes Oboes and Bassoons.

The 8Dio Century Series is the definitive state-of-the-art collection of hyper-realistic orchestral instruments. Century continues to represent our most significant leap forward in hall based orchestral sampling to date. With this latest addition, we have finally brought our Ostinato techniques and workflow to the world of Woodwinds.

As an addition to our acclaimed Century Series, Century Ostinato Woodwinds is the newest add-on, offering a new deep gamma of samples focused on woodwinds instruments. Flutes and Clarinets cover the family of what this beautiful product has to offer. Each instrument section was recorded individually, allowing for complete flexibility and customization in the compositional process.

This series focus was the capturing of the perfect imperfections and true essence of repetitive playing. From varying short notes to an abundance of Agile movements and Flowing patterns, this addition to the Ostinato series is the perfect companion to any orchestral and hybrid score alike.

The beauty behind the Century Ostinato series is its live recorded dynamic phrases. Each uniquely captured expression and pattern is available across the range of the instrument at multiple dynamics, all while maintaining the same feel and human-like inaccuracies of a real performance by utilizing the fully host synchronized capabilities. This means you have ultimate flexibility and playability, all while letting the instrument work to fit your production. The entire Ostinato series was painstakingly captured at 96 kHz before being carefully down-sampled to 48 kHz for ease of streaming. Each recording session also featured only the very best in recording equipment, ensuring an almost purely and impeccably maintained analog signal path. This not only preserves and enhances the accuracy and character of each instrument but helps us to truly honor the sound of these master musicians, presenting you with only the best virtual instruments have to offer.

Century is and always will be more than a collection of sample libraries to us. Each one tells the story of our musical journey, emotional, distinct, and without doubt, one of the most realistic series of deeply-sampled instruments ever launched. And with Century Ostinato Woodwinds we have gone beyond realism, bringing you the best that large scale phrase-based sampling has to offer.

The Ostinato Strings, Ostinato Brass and Ostinato Woodwinds are AWESOME together. This is a long dream of mine being able to have a true repeated orchestra at my fingertips.

The irony is the most common motion in music is repeated patterns - and for some strange reasons, it is the one thing that we - as developers - have paid the least attention too IMO. There is legato-like connectivity going on with single note repetitions too.

Here is an example of Strings, Brass and Winds together. Fluency.

The Ostinato Strings, Ostinato Brass and Ostinato Woodwinds are AWESOME together. This is a long dream of mine being able to have a true repeated orchestra at my fingertips.

The irony is the most common motion in music is repeated patterns - and for some strange reasons, it is the one thing that we - as developers - have paid the least attention too IMO. There is legato-like connectivity going on with single note repetitions too.

Package deal please thnx! :)

Actually liking the wood sound here. Not sure I can say the same thing for the strings in that demo Anyone else have reactions? I'm beginning to be tempted by the Century woods, Which makes me want to look at their Brass as well. Still, the demo had quite a bit of verb. No dry sounds demoed. Not yet convinced, but if they dangle some good pricing in front of me I might be in some trouble. My wallet may be scouting out some places to hide

Actually liking the wood sound here. Not sure I can say the same thing for the strings in that demo Anyone else have reactions? I'm beginning to be tempted by the Century woods, Which makes me want to look at their Brass as well. Still, the demo had quite a bit of verb. No dry sounds demoed. Not yet convinced, but if they dangle some good pricing in front of me I might be in some trouble. My wallet may be scouting out some places to hide
Having the brass I was hoping for a more solo/ensemble start to century woodwinds but this sound is hard to argue with and it does sound like they will work wonderfully together. Bundle Price is going to be my tipping point for sure.

The Ostinato strings are useful, except the sound is on the scratchy side and needs quite a lot of EQ taming. (Performance Samples Fluid Shorts are the opposite in sound).

The Brass Ostinati are particularly handy and I am glad I got them.

Generally I would like it if they all had a wider dynamic range especially towards the quiet side of things. Something feathery, silky, mysterious is what I am missing (especially for the strings).

The pricing follows the same scheme as our Century Ostinato Brass. Each volume is $98. Add to that our bundle maker + spring sales (there is quite a bit) + this month's gift with purchase - which is our Hybrid Tools 8D8 (comes for free with any purchase over $98).
At present you can't use the bundle maker to bundle up Vol 1 + 2 without adding something else.

I was waiting a long time for this. I would have loved to hear it without reverb for once. I would always add reverb to winds, but just knowing how they sound dry would have been super helpful. I will buy this library anyways, but that would be my one criticism about the video.

I was waiting a long time for this. I would have loved to hear it without reverb for once. I would always add reverb to winds, but just knowing how they sound dry would have been super helpful. I will buy this library anyways, but that would be my one criticism about the video.
Yeah, it's kind of a tough choice to go verb/no verb in these videos. I've come to the conclusion (for now at least) that it's probably best to showcase an instrument in the context it will *most likely* be used in. As you said, 90% of the time you won't be running any orchestral instrument without reverb, and it's tough to actually predict how the reverb will affect the sound of a totally dry instrument. Resonances and harmonics you might not have noticed in the dry sound will poke out once you apply the verb, so yeah, I think I've settled on having a bit of verb in the videos.

It'd be nice to have the time to demo both the dry and the wet sounds, but the videos would be stupid long and would drag a bit I think. It's a very, very cool library though; I just used it in a fight scene for a movie I'm doing right now along with a synth pulse and it was just badass AF. There's really no other way to get that sound (none that I've found at least).

Yeah, it's kind of a tough choice to go verb/no verb in these videos. I've come to the conclusion (for now at least) that it's probably best to showcase an instrument in the context it will *most likely* be used in. As you said, 90% of the time you won't be running any orchestral instrument without reverb, and it's tough to actually predict how the reverb will affect the sound of a totally dry instrument. Resonances and harmonics you might not have noticed in the dry sound will poke out once you apply the verb, so yeah, I think I've settled on having a bit of verb in the videos.

It'd be nice to have the time to demo both the dry and the wet sounds, but the videos would be stupid long and would drag a bit I think. It's a very, very cool library though; I just used it in a fight scene for a movie I'm doing right now along with a synth pulse and it was just badass AF.
Loved the demo. Well done! Love the way you kick off your videos hehe. I have had most of those things happen to me ;)

As an owner of Ostinato Strings Vol. 1, I have major reservations regarding these and the other Century Ostinato series. My experience with the Ostinato Strings has been that they only sound good within a very narrow tempo range - go much outside 140 bpm and the stretching algorithm destroys the sound. Which makes sense, because I think there's only one tempo at which they recorded, and rely on time stretching to do the heavy lifting. I'm not trying to hate on 8dio - I own and like Century Strings and Brass - but I was really disappointed with how inflexible the Ostinato Strings feel to me.

So the question is: Do Woodwinds and/or Brass Ostinato have this same issue?

As an owner of Ostinato Strings Vol. 1, I have major reservations regarding these and the other Century Ostinato series. My experience with the Ostinato Strings has been that they only sound good within a very narrow tempo range - go much outside 140 bpm and the stretching algorithm destroys the sound. Which makes sense, because I think there's only one tempo at which they recorded, and rely on time stretching to do the heavy lifting. I'm not trying to hate on 8dio - I own and like Century Strings and Brass - but I was really disappointed with how inflexible the Ostinato Strings feel to me.

So the question is: Do Woodwinds and/or Brass Ostinato have this same issue?
Do me a favor (if you haven't already) Load Ostinato Strings 1 or 2 - and find a tempo you want. Instead of choosing the Ostinato native to the tempo you want - try to choose one that is half the tempo - and then use X2 speed on it. It really, really broadens the usability of the library and I keep coming back to it - regardless of speed and dynamic.

The strings in this track are 100% that:

Top Bottom