What's new

8Dio Marketing Craze - Overstepping Boundaries

Wunderhorn

Recently I got an invitation from 8Dio to join a "text" group to get further sales offers that obviously are not covered in the regular newsletter.

I have to say that IMO this stinks.

Having subscribed to a company's newsletter is and must be enough of a declaration of interest as a customer. Having bought thousands of $ worth of products from them and then they want to tell me that I have to give up my phone number or else I don't get offer X or Y?
And... what? - I should fork over my phone number for direct marketing? (And what else will possible happen with that?) No other company whose newsletter I am subscribed to has ever done that.

So, this is not cool. This is overstepping the boundaries of what I would perceive as good business ethics.
I kindly suggest that 8Dio is re-evaluating this move.

Recently I got an invitation from 8Dio to join a "text" group to get further sales offers that obviously are not covered in the regular newsletter.

I have to say that IMO this stinks.

Having subscribed to a company's newsletter is and must be enough of a declaration of interest as a customer. Having bought thousands of $ worth of products from them and then they want to tell me that I have to give up my phone number or else I don't get offer X or Y?
And... what? - I should fork over my phone number for direct marketing? (And what else will possible happen with that?) No other company whose newsletter I am subscribed to has ever done that.

So, this is not cool. This is overstepping the boundaries of what I would perceive as good business ethics.
I kindly suggest that 8Dio is re-evaluating this move.
I have to admit i thought the whole thing was weird. I'd be very interested to hear what others think as well. Also, probably dumb question what do they mean by text group exactly?

How did the invitation come up? Newsletter? I've subscribed a few times but stopped receiving emails for whatever reason. But yea the phone thing is overkill :thumbsdown:

I think I saw an email from them about that as well.

Not sure if they're giving different or better deals via text, but I imagine they learned that sms or messenger messages currently have significantly higher "open rates," "response rates" (and more) than emails, so they probably want to move to that. Makes sense from 8dio's standpoint, except...

I had the same thoughts as you @Wunderhorn. I'm ok getting the emails, but I don't want to go phone on this. And if I miss a "better" deal because I won't give up more personal info.... erg. Don't appreciate it.

Proper (and arguably more successful long-term) marketing is to "engage the consumer the way the consumer WANTS to engage." So... if people want to engage by email, but then only "special" offers are given via sms... I suggest that bigger picture, that could backfire for them and generate ill-will. Cross-channel or multi-channel marketing is designed to accommodate, not pester.

Having not joined the exclusive "text" club, I can't comment on how it is being used, but I imagine if they're listening, they may appreciate hearing the feedback in this thread so that they can better tailor their customer relationships going forward.

Caveat: it is also possible that the number of people who choose to participate in "text-club" will outnumber (and out-spend) those who choose not to participate, and 8dio may simply choose the greater revenue stream. All good, I suppose, until sms/messenger go the way of email and a new shiny communications takes over. Then the process repeats, and if previous customers are lost, and then another new round of customers are lost... well... that could have business ramifications. Better overall to continue to nurture repeat customers. Send the SAME info to each customer, the way they choose to consume that info.

I notice lately they seem to have increased their use of hubspot (marketing tool) which suggests a very data-driven orientation. It may be they'll chart their direction solely on numbers. The good news is: there are a lot of great companies making vi's and other tools these days.

How did the invitation come up? Newsletter? I've subscribed a few times but stopped receiving emails for whatever reason. But yea the phone thing is overkill :thumbsdown:
I don't think it comes through the regular newsletter. I also don't remember having signed up for anything else outside the newsletter or support communication.

Also, probably dumb question what do they mean by text group exactly?

The way I understand it is that they might send out special coupons that normal newsletter subscribers would not get.
The only way that this makes sense to me is that the extraction of phone numbers has perhaps another undisclosed ulterior purpose. Why else not just running the newsletter? It's a perfectly fine way to reach people. I bought my share of 8Dio libraries this way for sure - and way past V8P status. ;)

Also - who the heck is "tapit.us"? Oh yes, an URL shortener. It goes to a dynamic address on: i7.t.hubspotemail.net - and oh no! It does not actually go there... wait for it... it re-routes to a widget on "eztxt.s3.amazonaws.com" where you get to put your information into a form. Great. Certainly Amazon is going tohave a blast with all the information given freely. There is also a page with "Terms and Service". Guess what - that belongs to yet another domain/company called "EZ Texting". I did not bother to go through the mile-long legal BS.

(edit: I skimmed through it just for a minute and noticed that it is geared toward whoever business partner. In this case I assume 8Dio. This leaves the end end customer with absolutely zero terms and zero protection for their entered personal data!)

This is how phishing sites are set up too. I don't say this one is. But I have seen enough to give me the the creeps.

8dio.jpg

Last edited:
Why else not just running the newsletter? It's a perfectly fine way to reach people.
I used to buy software from mail order catalogs. Times change...

I don't think this is a great practice by 8dio and I certainly won't be subscribing, but I also think accusing a company of unethical behavior because you disagree with their marketing strategy is a little much.

Just get a Google Voice number and sign up with that. (Bracing myself for anti-Google rant in 3..2...1...)

Actually text marketing is kinda interesting idea especially in a smartphone era. The only problem I see is that 8dio mailing system sometimes goes bonkers and spam users. If it would happen for text messages. Oh well.

I would never opt-in, but you know, this is opt-in. You don't need to use it. But nothing wrong about it from marketing pov.

Recently I've been getting frequent calls from random companies trying to sell me stuff. I put this down to my indiscriminate hoarding of free shit, and the companies then selling on data. From now on, will likely take a hard pass on anything registration/sign-up that asks for my phone number. And if I keep getting these calls, I'll start approaching companies and requesting they delete my dat :2thumbs:

It's also a way for more direct feedback & wishes for new stuff.

If you don't want in, just go on your merry way, nobody's taking your toys away.

Recently I've been getting frequent calls from random companies trying to sell me stuff. I put this down to my indiscriminate hoarding of free shit, and the companies then selling on data. From now on, will likely take a hard pass on anything registration/sign-up that asks for my phone number. And if I keep getting these calls, I'll start approaching companies and requesting they delete my dat :2thumbs:
I always put in a fake phone number when signing up if it is a required field

Last edited:
I dont get this fear of phone number collecting. It's very likely you already gave it multiple times. Surely all companies related to Whatsapp and Facebook, or Telegram, has it. Neither you are not tracked, if needed, even though your gps is off: they track you through phone logging to nearest cells. Or, even worse, you gave google, facebook or Apple 24/7 access to your mic.

I don't fear any of the tracking. What I don't want is to be disturbed, having to answer calls from unrelated companies, trying to sell me insurance. I no longer take calls from numbers I don't recognise.
For that there are useful apps that have a black list from user's review that block 95% of calls from call centers and similar.

For that there are useful apps that have a black list from user's review that block 95% of calls from call centers and similar.
Now that sounds like a great idea. I wonder if there's one for iOS that covers Spanish numbers.

And here it is :grin:

Combined with app 'Truecaller'. See how I go.

Thanks again, for the suggestion

Last edited:
They aren't the only company doing this now. They are trying to find ways to stand apart from the competition. Sadly there will be more and more things like this happening as people try to gain visual with potential customers instead of getting lost in the sea of spam that gets sent every day.

They aren't the only company doing this now. They are trying to find ways to stand apart from the competition. Sadly there will be more and more things like this happening as people try to gain visual with potential customers instead of getting lost in the sea of spam that gets sent every day.
Precisely. The overflow of the "donwload this pdf, or freebie, or sample pack in change of mailing list" has made the practice almost unefficient, so the trend will go back to good ol' sms with offers.

Top Bottom