8dio Liberis on sale - anyone use it?

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by I like music, May 14, 2019.

1. I like music

I like music Active Member

Oct 26, 2015
    Got an email from them. On for pretty cheap. Given how much I enjoyed lacrimosa I'm wondering if anyone uses Liberis and has any opinions on it?

musicalweather and richardt4520 like this.
  2. richardt4520

richardt4520 Active Member

Feb 2, 2018
    I have both and love it. There are sure to be some that will popup next to tell you it's noisy. I guess if you were trying to use it as a realistic solo children's choir it may be. But in a track it sounds great, imo.

storyteller and Wally Garten like this.
  3. OP
    OP
    I like music

Oct 26, 2015
    Thank you. The demos sound really good. And for $88, I can't imagine going too far wrong, especially as I don't have a children's choir already. Decisions, decisions.

EgM and richardt4520 like this.
  4. Robert_G

Robert_G It really is just an expensive hobby for me

Feb 6, 2019
    Interested, but unlike Genesis, its missing true polyphonic legato, melisma, and no option to seperate boys from girls.

190 bucks cheaper though.

5. sIR dORT

sIR dORT Member

Oct 26, 2018
    I have it, and in my more limited use of it, it has been a solid choir lib. Only thing that bugs me is the fact that they have a solo girl legato and not a solo boy one as well (there's a solo boy patch, but not legato and unusable for solo passages).

Like you said though, for $88, it's a great buy.

6. Dandezebra

Dandezebra Sorry for the inconvenience

Jan 7, 2018
    I have it and I love it. That price? Boom!

richardt4520 likes this.
  7. pderbidge

pderbidge Senior Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Utah
    I own it but haven't had a chance to really get into it yet. Did a brief run through of the patches and I really like it so far. I also got it on a flash sale but I don't think it was this cheap so I'd say it's a good deal if you think you need a library like this. I also have Soundiron's Mercury Elements which I have used and works really well. I did use one of the solo patches in the 8Dio score thingy recently and I think it worked out nice other than the fact that I only had a small amount of time to put it together and ended up squashing the final mix waaay too much. I've been too used to working on pop/rock tracks and just haven't had time to fix it but wanted to challenge myself to do something quick regardless of the result. I'm going to go back and fix it whenever I get a chance (who knows when) but for what it's worth at about 1:03 is when the Solo from Liberis comes in.

PS- I was really impressed by a lot of the submissions for this contest. A lot of really good talent out there and way better than what I came up with, and I'm not being modest. Really.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  8. OP
    OP
    I like music

Oct 26, 2015
    Thank you for all your help. @pderbidge nice track! @Dandezebra @Robert_G @sIR dORT @richardt4520

To be honest, I'm not sure why I even thought twice about it, given the price. Sure, I can hear some of the issues (hiss) that you all described, and as much as I would love something like Genesis, I don't think I'll be writing that much music with children's choirs. So I'm looking forward to it! Bought it! Can't imagine going wrong at that price. My experience with Lacrimosa was excellent, so if this is near that in quality, then I just got two excellent libraries for less than $200.

richardt4520 likes this.
  9. Guy Rowland

Guy Rowland Senior Member

Dec 13, 2012
    I don't use it all that often, but its one of the 8dio good ones for sure. Very good price for this.

richardt4520 and I like music like this.
  10. OP
    OP
    I like music

Oct 26, 2015
    That's great to hear! I know they have a wildly varying reputation regarding their different products, but Lacrimosa was also a good one for sure! Very excited to noodle with this on the weekend.

Guy, do you have Audiobro's Genesis by any chance, too?

richardt4520 likes this.
  11. Guy Rowland

Guy Rowland Senior Member

Dec 13, 2012
    I don't, but I probably would have bought it if I didn't have Liberis as it looks and sounds sensational. I just don't use children's choirs enough to justify a 2nd one though really.

richardt4520 likes this.
  12. OP
    OP
    I like music

Oct 26, 2015
    Right, exactly my thinking too. GAS averted. Thanks!

13. Theodor Andrews

Theodor Andrews Theodor und die Stille

Apr 24, 2018
    Germany
    Used it for years. It's an old library (Tonehammer days if I'm not wrong), has it's strength (portamento is very nice for example) and weakness (very much noise, very restricted to what's possible nowadays). Good buy for 88 dollars but I would never ever buy it for the full price. If you're gonna use it often I would highly recommend Genesis.

Wally Garten and richardt4520 like this.
  14. OP
    OP
    I like music

Oct 26, 2015
    Thanks - if I end up with enough tracks where I've used a children's choir, and money's good a year down the line, I'll definitely pick Genesis up.

Genesis sounds like one of those libraries that is universally liked.

mojamusic and Theodor Andrews like this.
  15. Wally Garten

Wally Garten Active Member

Apr 23, 2018
    Said this in another thread, but thought it was worth repeating here: this library has some unique stuff, despite its limitations. The effects and whispers are really cool, and until Bela D popped back up there was almost nowhere else to go for solo girls (this library has two). Also, it has a less pure and more textured sound than Genesis or Mercury, which is great for my purposes (experimental/strange electronic music), although it is probably not quite as useful for more traditional orchestra-with-choir composing. In any event it's quite a good buy at this price!

16. storyteller

storyteller Senior Member

Dec 26, 2015
    If it helps... If I had to rebuy all of my sample libraries all over again and only purchase the core "must-have's," Liberis would be on that list without a doubt.

17. OP
    OP
    I like music

Oct 26, 2015
    Glad you say that! Just installing it now :)

storyteller and richardt4520 like this.
  18. OP
    OP
    I like music

Oct 26, 2015
    I like it a lot! Considering how old it is too, those legatos are pretty decent. I do hear what people mean about the hiss, but it doesn't seem to be prominent on all the sustains (or I have a crap ear, or crap speakers, both a real possibility).

But this will be a very useful library. And if it turns out I write lots of stuff with it, then I can investigate Genesis more.

PS I wonder why they couldn't provide us with a solo boy legato!!! Such a shame!

Wally Garten and richardt4520 like this.
  19. Ryan99

Ryan99 Senior Member

Jul 9, 2013
    You can also check Soundiron Mercury when it's on sale, but at this price, you can't go wrong with Liberis.

20. OP
    OP
    I like music

Oct 26, 2015
    Kind of cruel introducing even more sample libraries into the dilemma-mix, don't you think? Now I'll have to check it out. Didn't even know this existed!

danycool and Ryan99 like this.