What's new

8dio is actually having a sale!

Tried placing both Ostinato Strings and Advanced Ostinato Strings II in Cart, but no price adjustments.
Both @ $198. each. How much is II discounted for I owners ?? Will do Chat early tomorrow ....

Was sent as a code in my email, I already owned the original Ostinato Strings. I would contact chat about the discount as you can probably get it, but it may not be automatically sent if you didn't already have the first one.

Tried placing both Ostinato Strings and Advanced Ostinato Strings II in Cart, but no price adjustments.
Both @ $198. each. How much is II discounted for I owners ?? Will do Chat early tomorrow ....
I you already own Ostinato Strings 1, you get a discount of $50 via email with your name associated to it (those libraries are watermarked). So instead of paying $198, you pay $148 for Chapter 2 (that makes it 50% of the full regular price!).

If you don't own Ostinato Strings 1, buy it first, and wait for your $50 coupon. Then you will be able to purchase Ostinato Strings 2 for $148.

Last edited:
Got to say wasn't sure it was worth the upgrade price for $148. I haven't really played with the first version, so I'm not sure what's new.

And I have Sonokinetic's Ostinato builder.

My purchase decision for COS2 is still pending.

I listened to the patches as good as possible in the video and built them in the TOC as good as possible myself, exported them as Midi and used them with the shorts of the Ostinato Strings 1. I get quite close to the result, at least in terms of rhythm. With TOC you can easily create more variations, 15 rhythmic patterns in COS2 I find a bit limited in content.

I'm not sure if I'm willing to pay 148$ for the crossgrade yet, because I can get similar results using my existing tools.

On the other hand there are some features like the legato that you won't find anywhere else.

I like the concept and the sound. If you don't have an ostinato tool yet and don't want to do it yourself, the Century Ostinato Strings are a good tool. However, Ostinato Stings 1 is more flexible as there are articulations like Spiccato (the TM patches are ultra tight) that can be played separately. Both ostinato strings together are a neat package.

I need to see more, a more in-depth review before I decide.

My purchase decision for COS2 is still pending.

I listened to the patches as good as possible in the video and built them in the TOC as good as possible myself, exported them as Midi and used them with the shorts of the Ostinato Strings 1. I get quite close to the result, at least in terms of rhythm. With TOC you can easily create more variations, 15 rhythmic patterns in COS2 I find a bit limited in content.

I'm not sure if I'm willing to pay 148$ for the crossgrade yet, because I can get similar results using my existing tools.

On the other hand there are some features like the legato that you won't find anywhere else.

I like the concept and the sound. If you don't have an ostinato tool yet and don't want to do it yourself, the Century Ostinato Strings are a good tool. However, Ostinato Stings 1 is more flexible as there are articulations like Spiccato (the TM patches are ultra tight) that can be played separately. Both ostinato strings together are a neat package.

I need to see more, a more in-depth review before I decide.

It looks great, but I'm waiting for a sale that brings it at least to $120, though I'll probably wait till I see it for $99 like when I grabbed the first edition. Seems like it would open up some nice options in terms of workflow, but the current price even with $50 extra off just isn't something I need right now when my disposable income has been going to hardware related things like mics at the moment and I really have a great selection of libraries right now.

What all ostinato and phrase tools undeniably deliver is that with intensive use over time we neglect our skills to play something ourselves ...
Laziness is the death of virtuosity.

I have to remind myself of this more often. :whistling:

8dio Century Brass Ensemble light?
If you are asking wether it is any good, it seems to be. I have the full version and haven't yet upgraded, but for the price and with the amount of articulations + the source material it seems like a good and relatively cheap option for a beginner (though maybe Spitfire Epic Brass is a cheaper alternative? I wouldn't personally say better necessarily). Wether you need it though depends, as with everything else, on what you already have, and what you feel like you are missing.

I have the Exotic Percussions, firing them up as I write this.

They are not the most inspiring instrument I own. I find them well sampled, the interface is clear, I just find they have a difficult sound to connect too, especially for the music I write, which is mostly dark and modern. In general, since the instrument are not very well known or not very used, it is difficult to create an emotional bond with them, in a way a nice piano or string section would spark.

The instruments often have a short decay, which works well for arpeggiated sequences, I find. They are getting a bit too bright and harsh quickly, with lots of harmonics, the EQ works well in that regard. Stick a big long reverb after it (an external one) and you can get some nice textures easily.
I don't know why they bothered with the rolls patches, since the rolls go faster the higher the pitch. Not very usable if you ask me, or at least, not realistic.

There are some hidden gem, like the bowed patches, the first mallet is usually nice, and the repetition patches work well with the mod wheel. Don't hesitate to reduce the amplitude attack time. Totally different vibe. There is a kind of a transient designer as well (the "Shape" knob).

I might actually use one of the instruments on a project I'm working on!

8Dio has a sale on Anthology: The New Adagio Bundle for $128. Good deal?
The lowest price I've ever seen for that library, it was $148 during BF and Christmas, I believe. I'm tempted but don't own it!

Its ok. The sordinos are nice. The arcs are beautiful. There's an especially Hollywood wideness they can do well.

Still, even at $128 if I had to do it again, I’d probably save it towards CSS or SCS.

... unless i specifically wanted to go to one of the specific niches of Anthology .

Basically some really nice niche features. But definitely not a core workhorse.

Last edited:
The lowest price I've ever seen for that library, it was $148 during BF and Christmas, I believe. I'm tempted but don't own it!
It was $128 during the Christmas sale, and there was a free gift included. I got anthology + the new epic ensemble bundle (toms, dhol, taiko and frame drum ensemble) for $128.
I tried the anthology strings, but wasn't really happy with them. But the epic drum bundle was worth it, so it wasn't completely lost money.

It was $128 during the Christmas sale, and there was a free gift included. I got anthology + the new epic ensemble bundle (toms, dhol, taiko and frame drum ensemble) for $128.
I tried the anthology strings, but wasn't really happy with them. But the epic drum bundle was worth it, so it wasn't completely lost money.

Be sure to check out the arcs and the sordino legatos. Also odds and ends like the solo bass is limited, but interesting (despite the fact that I'm on record on various threads whereas *not* being a fan of the solo strings in anthology in general).

There's definitely beautiful and useful things to be found.

Be sure to check out the arcs and the sordino legatos. Also odds and ends like the solo bass is limited, but interesting.

I only have the Adagio Violas, but they are some of my very best arcs. Maybe 8dio should repackage just the arcs and sell them for $98 or $148!

Be sure to check out the arcs and the sordino legatos. Also odds and ends like the solo bass is limited, but interesting (despite the fact that I'm on record on various threads whereas *not* being a fan of the solo strings in anthology in general).

To be honest, i just tried them out real quickly, and didn't try everything in the library. But i will check it out more. Maybe the good parts were a little bit hidden. Thanks for the tip!

Reactions: ism
I only have the Adagio Violas, but they are some of my very best arcs. Maybe 8dio should repackage just the arcs and sell them for $98 or $148!

The original (ie not currently available) Adagios also had a lot more Loure arcs and such. The UI made them difficult to use. But thinking about it, I could see a standalone arc library, with a better ui, streamlined time machine support (in the spirit of Insolidus) that restored the full arcs from Adagio + Agitato (including the Loures) that really would make a very nice dedicated arc library.

Of course, the Anthology UI do this to a significant degree, but there's room to take it further.

And the killer app would be to take the arcs and somehow put in Insolidus (and I think Centruy Brass) style (sort-of-)polyphonic-legato. (Insolidus' 'polyphonic legato isn't really a fully realized polyphonic legato, but it's still pretty amazing at what it does realize).

Last edited:
Top Bottom