What's new

8Dio Intimate Studio Woodwinds

Since 8Dio has a bit of a reputation for "overdressing" their demos, and since the instruments are presented here with a geeenerous amount of reverb (except for a few short moments where they actually are raw:)), and since this product is marketed as "intimate"---

And since I recognize at least two of the demos from brilliant fellow VIC forum members
@DarkestShadow @leogardini (bravo gents)

I wonder if it would be possible to hear those demos naked, i.e. just the woodwinds isolated and with a minimum of processing so that we can see the more intimate side of these instruments? Or, if not those demos, any naked examples of these winds please? :emoji_sunglasses:

Last edited:
im bias because i love this whole series. I will say though that this one seems a bit strange with the runs. I dont know if the instruments always blend well together, but its a beautiful sounding library that is already going into my core instruments.

Since 8Dio has a bit of a reputation for "overdressing" their demos, and since the instruments are presented here with a geeenerous amount of reverb (except for a few short moments where they actually are raw:)), and since this product is marketed as "intimate"---

And since I recognize at least two of the demos from brilliant fellow VIC forum members
@DarkestShadow @leogardini (bravo gents)

I wonder if it would be possible to hear those demos naked, i.e. just the woodwinds isolated and with a minimum of processing so that we can see the more intimate side of these instruments? Or, if not those demos, any naked examples of these winds please? :emoji_sunglasses:
Oh, thank you! :)
I can post a naked example later with 0 processing and other instruments. It's very dry so get some water before listening! :D Beta version only had close mics.

Oh, thank you! :)
I can post a naked example later with 0 processing and other instruments. It's very dry so get some water before listening! :D Beta version only had close mics.
Much obliged! Perhaps bone dry might be too exposed, like one of those concave mirrors that magnifies the pores in your face. I wouldn't ever use a library that exposed.

Maybe the best thing would be to have an example that is in a room, but just a reasonable amount of treatment to get a realistic intimate performance like it is in a small scoring stage?

I apologize that I'm kind of asking you to do 8Dio's work, but they don't have any presence on the forum.

Last edited:
I just really REALLY want Cinematic Studio Woodwinds to come out :rofl:

There are a lot of fantastic woodwind libraries out now. Complete libraries (like SF's recently released studio woodwinds), as well as individual instruments (e.g. the Embertone Herring clarinet. Sampling technology has really matured. I think we can always assume an as yet unreleased library will be a bit different, but not necessarily better. A lot of it is simply going to depend on the players hired, the instrument, the room, and the skill of the engineers and people assembling the libraries.

Gone are the days when a developer can just proceed with the idea that they're going to top every library that's already out there. There's a lot of serendipity involved. Troels often speaks of those times when "magic" happens, and I think that hits the nail on the head.

BTW, the idea that 8Dio really focused on the intimate side of these instruments appeals to me. I think it's going to be really useful to have a library that ensures a really solid and complete set of performance articulations at lower volumes/intensities, because it's something that's often needed.

Same here... but was there ever even an announcement about them coming? Or being in production... :/

Not in so many words from the 8DIO chat. But I do know they’re working on them. And also makes sense to complete the Century series. They may have used this intimate recording session to piggy back for the ensemble winds of century. I’m speculating if course, but would make financial sense to do that.

Much obliged! Perhaps bone dry might be too exposed, like one of those concave mirrors that magnifies the pores in your face. I wouldn't ever use a library that exposed.

Maybe the best thing would be to have an example that is in room, but just a reasonable amount of treatment to get a realistic intimate performance like it is in a small scoring stage?

I apologize that I'm kind of asking you to do 8Dio's work, but they don't have any presence on the forum.
Ah, already did the dry one. :P
There is some EQ'ing baked in. The tracks are frozen with EQ baked in and it takes ages to unfreeze them all.

Here is a HQ mp3 link with download, if you want to check with your own reverbs... https://picosong.com/wAp9a/

Gonna do some quick playing with a small touch reverb but no other processing later.

I think this might be their best in this series just from listening to the demos and walk through vids and DarkestShadow's dry example. Sounds great!

I like their Intimate Studio Strings but that one is more of a niche sound. It won't be your goto for that traditional or even cinematic sounding solo string like Cinesample or CSSS or any of the other solo string libraries but it has a character that can't be duplicated by those others. I wish I could find a review on this I read once on a blog that described these strings perfectly.

My take so far is that whereas the Strings seemed to be more of a niche in sound, these woodwinds seem to be the opposite and therefore likely to be used more often in a template.

One day I'll pull the trigger on these and the brass to complete my collection. Only when on a sale though:)

Not in so many words from the 8DIO chat. But I do know they’re working on them. And also makes sense to complete the Century series. They may have used this intimate recording session to piggy back for the ensemble winds of century. I’m speculating if course, but would make financial sense to do that.
Now you have my attention... :dancedance:

Seriously peeked my interest there!
Just in time as I was eyeing up the Berlin Soloists too :rolleyes:

I think this might be their best in this series just from listening to the demos and walk through vids and DarkestShadow's dry example. Sounds great!

I like their Intimate Studio Strings but that one is more of a niche sound. It won't be your goto for that traditional or even cinematic sounding solo string like Cinesample or CSSS or any of the other solo string libraries but it has a character that can't be duplicated by those others. I wish I could find a review on this I read once on a blog that described these strings perfectly.

My take so far is that whereas the Strings seemed to be more of a niche in sound, these woodwinds seem to be the opposite and therefore likely to be used more often in a template.

One day I'll pull the trigger on these and the brass to complete my collection. Only when on a sale though:)
They ARE on sale. $100 off reg. price.

Top Bottom