What's new

8Dio Century Strings

They reportedly recorded a bunch of stuff for an Adagio II. Hopefully we'll get that with this coming consolidation!

You mean the Adagio 2 that they asked for input on what to record, that never saw light of day? Which possibly morphed into Agitato, which had the "Fast Legato Arpeggio" title that was meant to be the Legato to end all Legatos for fast runs.

So now we have another Legato Runs Builder in another "Best Ever String Library".

This seems to be becoming a common thread with developers, the rush to bring out new product, while neglecting to fix or add to existing ones.

How many times have we been tempted into a library with a "future roadmap" that stops short with missing articulations or inconsistent scripting?

"Playable arcs"

I haven't really been following this -- are "playable arcs" Century Strings' version of Adagio's "dynamic bowings"? The chord changes in that example sound strange to me, like they're being crossfaded. I found this to be an issue in Adagio's dynamic bowings too -- there was no easy way to change notes during the bowing and preserve the overall shape of the swell, so you were basically limited to static chords (which admittedly sound great, when they work).

Those playable runs sure do sound nice, but wasn't this promised way back when as part of the adagio series?

I wish 8dio well on their new products, and I can't fault them for being ambitious, but I sure wished they showed their existing libraries some more love. I bought into Adagio, and while there are some nice things there, taken as a whole there's just too many inconsistencies and rough edges in usability for me. Have they announced yet whether Century Strings will be a single, comprehensive volume, or whether they'll be releasing the sections individually again? I hope they prioritize the UI and making the playability of the individual sections more consistent this time around.

I haven't really been following this -- are "playable arcs" Century Strings' version of Adagio's "dynamic bowings"? The chord changes in that example sound strange to me, like they're being crossfaded. I found this to be an issue in Adagio's dynamic bowings too -- there was no easy way to change notes during the bowing and preserve the overall shape of the swell, so you were basically limited to static chords (which admittedly sound great, when they work).
They have a different audio example for the Arcs....but I'm not sure if it's the same thing as the dynbow from Adagio. In terms of the smoothness of it all, I'm pretty sure this is just an alpha example.

Those playable runs sure do sound nice, but wasn't this promised way back when as part of the adagio series?
I don't think so, but if it was, perhaps they just didn't have the answer in how to do it better than the products currently out at the time.

Have they announced yet whether Century Strings will be a single, comprehensive volume, or whether they'll be releasing the sections individually again? I hope they prioritize the UI and making the playability of the individual sections more consistent this time around.
I haven't seen anything announced yet as to how the library will be offered. For me I'm thinking that Century Brass will be a good indicator of how they'll offer Century Strings. We shall see.

Really liking the tone of the library, can't wait to hear what the legato instruments sounds like. Impressive stuff.

Last edited:
I often wonder with regard to dynamic bowings why there was not a slot in the patch for a note played straight in.

Action Strings has a feature where if you change a note mid cycle it maintains the correct point in a rhythm. Admittedly these are mostly non-melodic rhythms that are probably easier to fade between.

But if someone could crack that it would be something very exciting.

I often wonder with regard to dynamic bowings why there was not a slot in the patch for a note played straight in.

Action Strings has a feature where if you change a note mid cycle it maintains the correct point in a rhythm. Admittedly these are mostly non-melodic rhythms that are probably easier to fade between.

But if someone could crack that it would be something very exciting.
Yeah, I think a number of people brought that up in their Skype discussion that they posted. Looks like they figured it out for the Studio Soprano library; the ability to change notes (or at least a single note) mid cresc-decresc with the note(s) still keep the arc's form. I'm wondering if the "playable arcs" snippet that they posted via SC is what you're talking about. There wasn't a description with exactly what it was (though maybe they spoke more about it via FB). Definitely something we'd all love to see happen though instead of having to use a secondary patch and crossfade in and out those changing notes. They seemed to have figured it out for the Studio Sopranos library so I'm hoping they were able to carry it over for both Century Brass and Strings.

Playable runs and arcs are impressive - congrats Troels and Colin. Feels and sounds like you are on to something. Watching with great interest.

For me I'm thinking that Century Brass will be a good indicator of how they'll offer Century Strings. We shall see.
True. I'm very curious about the ensemble size(s). Obviously for Century Brass they recorded 3-4 sizes per section. I wonder whether Century Strings has the same approach or is fixed to one size. Given that the recording sessions are probably already done, they should know, shouldn't they? ;)

True. I'm very curious about the ensemble size(s). Obviously for Century Brass they recorded 3-4 sizes per section. I wonder whether Century Strings has the same approach or is fixed to one size. Given that the recording sessions are probably already done, they should know, shouldn't they? ;)
Yea - for me nothing is more important than 'building up or down' the sections. Today's cue - a2..... tomorrow's....a6. The reality now is if not available with the SAME library than I have to use another library - then mixing issues ensue......

Viola Arcs Sordino alpha demo:

Now that sounds phenomenal. Hope they add more useful features to the interface - the Adagio/Agitato GUI didn't even cover the basics. Things like legato transition volume, arc speed, attack, release... Fingers crossed.

I've recorded the runs and did some mixing. https://picosong.com/ZEMU/ Close and Decca are combined, some panning and EQ (maybe to much hi-end for you). I wanted to add some reverb because the room in the decca samples changes with every legato transition, which sounds a bit strange. Adding some reverb solved that. Hope I did nothing illegal :ninja:

Top Bottom