What's new

8DIO Century Brass

Guys,

Here is an update on the progress of Century Brass 2.0 (and Strings!!!!!). I've just finished two new mixes, placing all of the instruments in traditional orchestral seating positions. The first new mix is a tight, punchy, Alan Sylvestri type of sound. The second is a more spacious Abbey Road mix. I imagine most Century users will end up using one of these new mixes, but the individual mics are still included for my fellow obsessive nerds....Separate patches for each mix/mic are included to address issues with loading times on some systems. We've had some users creating individual patches themselves, and I don't want them to have to do that in 2.0.

The other addition I've been working on are release trigger versions of Arcs and Marcatos. The speed knob versions are still there (again, just for my fellow obsessive nerds), but the release triggers versions sound great and are more playable.

I'm also working on new mixes for Century Strings and Century Strings Sordino. Both Century Brass and Strings will have the same 2.0 updates. Current Century users can attest, the libraries are quite LARGE. Re-mixing and programming takes a long time. The brass is essentially 9 different libraries in and of itself, each requiring a different mix approach etc. #FUN!!! Century Brass 2.0 will be released first, followed by strings 2.0. I'll announce date as we get closer.

My ONLY work with 8Dio currently is this 2.0 update. I'm not producing any new libraries until this is complete. Please be assured that we will get the updates out as soon as we possibly can. The libraries are just over 1 year old, and 2.0 (so far) is making a big difference! I think our users will be happy.

Best,

Colin
Sounds really nice and I look forward to this! Thank you for the update, Colin.

Thanks for the update Colin. Sounds like a winner. You should get plenty of new Century customers with all these new features (me for one)!

Release triggers for the arcs could really be a game changer!

Last edited:
@Colin O'Malley ,

Thanks for updating us on the status of the version 2.0 updates for both Century Strings, and Century Brass. Both are great sounding libraries, and I'm sure will get even better with the 2.0 update.

Looking forward to the 2.0 updates.

Last edited:
Guys,

Here is an update on the progress of Century Brass 2.0 (and Strings!!!!!). I've just finished two new mixes, placing all of the instruments in traditional orchestral seating positions. The first new mix is a tight, punchy, Alan Sylvestri type of sound. The second is a more spacious Abbey Road mix. I imagine most Century users will end up using one of these new mixes, but the individual mics are still included for my fellow obsessive nerds....Separate patches for each mix/mic are included to address issues with loading times on some systems. We've had some users creating individual patches themselves, and I don't want them to have to do that in 2.0.

The other addition I've been working on are release trigger versions of Arcs and Marcatos. The speed knob versions are still there (again, just for my fellow obsessive nerds), but the release triggers versions sound great and are more playable.

I'm also working on new mixes for Century Strings and Century Strings Sordino. Both Century Brass and Strings will have the same 2.0 updates. Current Century users can attest, the libraries are quite LARGE. Re-mixing and programming takes a long time. The brass is essentially 9 different libraries in and of itself, each requiring a different mix approach etc. #FUN!!! Century Brass 2.0 will be released first, followed by strings 2.0. I'll announce date as we get closer.

My ONLY work with 8Dio currently is this 2.0 update. I'm not producing any new libraries until this is complete. Please be assured that we will get the updates out as soon as we possibly can. The libraries are just over 1 year old, and 2.0 (so far) is making a big difference! I think our users will be happy.

Best,

Colin
awsome! thanks for the update!! cant wait!!

Excited for this new update!

I hope the Century Brass 2 and Century Strings 2 also have a way do global keyswitching. If you want to move the keys up an octave for example, you have to select each articulation separately, and move your mouse up or down to change the keyswitch. This gets real old needing to do this for every articulation and then every instrument/section. I hope there is a way to either global keyswitch all articulations up or down or at least allow one to right click and then press in the key that you want the keyswitch too. If there isn't, I imagine we will have to manually need to do this all over again for the new version 2 patches which would be a real pain.

Beyond that, I'm excited about all the new enhancements planned for these so thanks 8dio for sticking behind your product and making them even better.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, their new gui is actually a step back in articulation control compared to their previous gui on the Agitato series!

@colin: Is there a way you could connect the dynamics (CC1) and expression (CC11) like you did in earlier libraries (I think Agitato/Adagio Strings had this feature)? People with big, smooth MIDI-Faders probably won't bother about that a lot, but for people like me not having this luxury this is a nuisance, because you can't record everything in one go...

I'm late to the party, so a couple questions...

--How soon do we expect to see Version 2 of Century Strings and Century Brass?

--What has been 8Dio's policy on upgrades from previous versions?

THX!

--What has been 8Dio's policy on upgrades from previous versions?
THX!
Policy?
You can't pirate it... I think. Just as an example... lol

You mean if it's free or not? Most of their updates were free as far as I know - sometimes with bigger products they charged a small (8 dollar) fee to cover server costs.

simply right click on expression-select learn and then move the mod-wheel.That should do it instantly!

Thanks, I am aware of this option, but this is a little too extreme. I am rather looking for a way to achieve a "normal" dynamic range. VSL and Orchestral Tools have options in their interface to adjust the maximum dynamic range, 8dio at least had a switch which connected expression to a certain, fixed degree to dynamics in their older products. I'd like to have such an option and honestly, this is just an additional button/slider on the interface and a couple of lines of code in the script, which would be a HUGE improvement. The current dynamic range on many articulations is just too small (and very unrealistic) without additional CC11.

And by the way: Cinematic Studio Brass was just released a couple of hours ago and Alex pointed out the huge dynamic range!

The current dynamic range on many articulations is just too small (and very unrealistic) without additional CC11.
You can simply learn a CC to the Kontakt volume and set the strength in the midi automation TAB of Kontakt in %. That way you can add dynamic to the mod wheel (i.e. CC1 to volume from 30 to 60%). Takes just a few seconds per patch. I do this with a lot of libraries (including CSS).

You can simply learn a CC to the Kontakt volume and set the strength in the midi automation TAB of Kontakt in %. That way you can add dynamic to the mod wheel (i.e. CC1 to volume from 30 to 60%). Takes just a few seconds per patch. I do this with a lot of libraries (including CSS).

Wait. Am I understanding you correctly here?

So you're saying that by moving CC1 up and down you can put a rule in which also raises CC11 within certain bounds (or at a different rate?). So when you have CC1 right up, it automatically kicks the volume up along a different line/curve?

If that's the case, that would fricking solve a lot of headaches for me.

Top Bottom