What's new

8DIO Century Brass

From their blog, "8Dio Century Brass is the most comprehensive collection of deep-sampled expressive Brass ever created." Alrighty then, we shall see. Maybe they could start off by spelling flugelhorn correctly? (Or the cool way: flügelhorn.)

From their blog, "8Dio Century Brass is the most comprehensive collection of deep-sampled expressive Brass ever created." Alrighty then, we shall see. Maybe they could start off by spelling flugelhorn correctly? (Or the cool way: flügelhorn.)
Ah, the struggles of having non-musical PR/online managers...

I dislike 8Dio for a lot of their practices, but I'll be damned if I don't admit that these alpha demos sound really good.

New preview released. My opinion of 8Dio has constantly been on the decline, but man does this exposed arrangement sound good!

So, that soundcloud example does not sound good to my ears either. I am not trying to hate on 8D, in fact, I have several of their libraries which I think are really good. But this example is riddled with problems.... do the rest of you not hear the "bump" in almost all the notes right before the transitions? I understand the library can not be perfect, but that is a bit too obvious. Hopefully they will fix this and make it more useable.

I wasn't too knocked out by the alpha demos from 6 months ago, but I find a lot to like about the new ones. Tone is gorgeous, legato and dynamic transitions are expressive and sound much smoother, and I don't hear any more of those weird stereo positioning issues. My interest is definitely piqued.

So, that soundcloud example does not sound good to my ears either. I am not trying to hate on 8D, in fact, I have several of their libraries which I think are really good. But this example is riddled with problems.... do the rest of you not hear the "bump" in almost all the notes right before the transitions? I understand the library can not be perfect, but that is a bit too obvious. Hopefully they will fix this and make it more useable.
The demos aren't of the finished product, they're not even in beta yet. So far, the signs of a great brass library are there - gorgeous tone, expressiveness, etc. 8Dio's sample game has been up for a while now, I think they know better than to program instruments with audible transitions.

It's the first Brass library I've heard that could take over the long standing goto role that Hollywood Brass has held for me. It certainly has it's own character and tone which I'm drawn to. Could be the first library I've thought about buying for a long time.

I totally agree! Almost strange that a 5-7 year old HB still hasn't been topped. I'll undoubtedly be buying two brass libraries this year (this and BB).

I like the tone of Cinebrass, but it's so "generic" articulation wise imo. HB has tons of arts that get me closer to real performances. I like BML brass also, but they still haven't sorted out the attacks for the long notes, 2 years later!!...

It's the first Brass library I've heard that could take over the long standing goto role that Hollywood Brass has held for me. It certainly has it's own character and tone which I'm drawn to.

I'm with you on that one Matt. I really want to hear a solo trumpet and solo trombone patch. Its the one thing that was a big let down for me with HB. If 8Dio can get them right, and $$$ allow then I will buy it. The horn and tpt ensemble patches have a great tone. Am I the only one here who doesn't like the flugel demo? (It could just be my concept of a flugel sound is different to 8Dio's)

This is not really helpful but I recently discovered the solo trumpet patch in Symphobia 2 and it is absolutely perfect for that Saving Private Ryan, americana "glory" type thing. just the right amount of vibrato. For a recent project I harmonized it with the solo trumpet from HB and it sounds great for that kind of style.

Jay - it is personal taste. My disappointment is at higher dynamics towards the top of and above the stave - it just misses the brilliance and richness that I want from an orchestral trumpet a la Malcolm McNabb, Bud Herseth, Tim Morrison, Phil Smith. Given they are/were some of the greatest orchestral trumpet players on the planet it may be harder to capture in a sample library. Any library that can capture the richness and brilliance similar to those guys will have my money. Maybe I'll get closer to that with the close mics that come with CCX - i'll have to investigate more.

I'll definitely be keeping my eye on this lib, but tbh, I'm more interested in OT BB, mainly because I already have their strings and WW's.

Yeah, I absolutely can't wait for BBR. OT really has the pressure on them, though, as people have been hyping on this library for like 4 years. I have faith that they'll deliver something amazing, and hopefully I'm not wrong! My OT orchestra will finally be complete (though a Berlin Choir would be awesome)! My template feels so empty to have BWW, BPC, and BST, but no BBR. :grin:

That all being said, the fact that only a non-released, speculated library is making me consider not using Hollywood Brass as my main brass is pretty crazy.

And to stay on topic, I do look forward towards checking out the Century Brass; however it doesn't have the hype that BBR does which I think gives it a bit of a marketing disadvantage. Can you imagine if they were released at similar times? The mythical BERLIN BRASS released versus a new 8dio library. Century could be better, but so many people have been waiting for BBR that I feel like Century wouldn't get a fair shot.

Last edited:
Top Bottom