What's new

8DIO Century Brass

nik

@Colin O'Malley
hi Colin ,
after playin with century brass a little bit i wanted tpo share some impressions.
I tried to play in some John Williams Lines like Indiana Jones .
The Trombones worked great for the rythm and the sound is awsome in my opinion. That being said, i tried to get a convincin line out of the 4 trumpets patch, but after quiet some time i just switched to another library. I just dont get how to use the marcatos in the 4 trumpets patch. There is no option to influence the length of the note.
I then checked Hollywood Brass for some comparison and the marcato patch there was just like i remebered: accented,note stops when i want. Easy results in no time. Honestly, i am no pro yet and if there is anything i am missing i apologize. I just think a real good trumpets patch is necessary in a library like this. i will keep posting my impressions.I dont wnat to be rude or anything, just thought workin together could maybe improve the library?
best regards

Last edited:

Saxer

There is no option to influence the length of the note.
Excuse me for chiming in. There's the speed dial which alters the length of the one shot samples (i.e. selects longer or shorter recorded samples). But I'm also looking forward to the promised century updates with the option to stop notes via note off.

vicontrolu

I really can't understand what they were thinking with the speed knob. No artificial release sample? OK, but fiddling with another to get a note right cc is just not worth it. At least they should have provided the option for note off IMHO.

Critz

Our orchestral libraries recorded at Air are not “post processed” in the way alleged above.

Paul
That means they ARE "post processed", just not the way he described :)

You can tell us for example there isn't any kind of saturation or eq in the samples we play?

Thanks for your time.

nik

Excuse me for chiming in. There's the speed dial which alters the length of the one shot samples (i.e. selects longer or shorter recorded samples). But I'm also looking forward to the promised century updates with the option to stop notes via note off.
HI thanks for chimning in:) Yeah to be honest i could not get a good result with that. Its so hard to get the right length of the note (at least for me)Its just frustrating to me:-(

Last edited:

Saxer

It's hard for developers to establish new workflows (even if they are good) because we are so used to things we already use. Especially when using combinations of libraries with layering etc... creating the same musical content with different CCs and note length is always time consuming.

Colin O'Malley

Century 2.0 will have standard release triggers on marcatos as a second option. We're not abandoning the speed knob approach. Once you get used to it, it does sound better IMO. That final crescendo "push" off of a marcato is not the same with a standard release trigger, but I understand the workflow is different, and users need quicker results sometimes.

You also have 6 different marcato variations in the 4 trumpets patch (7 with staccato). Make sure you try all of those as well!

2.0 is not far away.

Best,

Colin

nik

Century 2.0 will have standard release triggers on marcatos as a second option. We're not abandoning the speed knob approach. Once you get used to it, it does sound better IMO. That final crescendo "push" off of a marcato is not the same with a standard release trigger, but I understand the workflow is different, and users need quicker results sometimes.

You also have 6 different marcato variations in the 4 trumpets patch (7 with staccato). Make sure you try all of those as well!

2.0 is not far away.

Best,

Colin
@Colin O'Malley hey colin, when can we expect the century brass update? u said its not far away :)

Looking forward to the updates, thanks for letting us know Colin :) So far I'm more than satisfied with the century brass but any improvement is welcome.

OP
jamwerks

jamwerks

More than 3 months ago it was reportedly not far off. I'm thinking they might have opted for a more elaborate stage placement tool for the whole Century series that's taking some time?

bfreepro

Infinite Musical Possibilites
I've been meaning to write this for a while but have been waiting on the promised updates, however I finally just gave in as I needed to get a lot of products reviewed and have been sitting on this one so, here is an in depth and honest review of this library, and addresses some of the quirks some other users have mentioned, etc.
https://www.bfreemusic.com/news/2018/10/9/review-8dio-century-brass-ensemble

Colin O'Malley

Guys,

Here is an update on the progress of Century Brass 2.0 (and Strings!!!!!). I've just finished two new mixes, placing all of the instruments in traditional orchestral seating positions. The first new mix is a tight, punchy, Alan Sylvestri type of sound. The second is a more spacious Abbey Road mix. I imagine most Century users will end up using one of these new mixes, but the individual mics are still included for my fellow obsessive nerds....Separate patches for each mix/mic are included to address issues with loading times on some systems. We've had some users creating individual patches themselves, and I don't want them to have to do that in 2.0.

The other addition I've been working on are release trigger versions of Arcs and Marcatos. The speed knob versions are still there (again, just for my fellow obsessive nerds), but the release triggers versions sound great and are more playable.

I'm also working on new mixes for Century Strings and Century Strings Sordino. Both Century Brass and Strings will have the same 2.0 updates. Current Century users can attest, the libraries are quite LARGE. Re-mixing and programming takes a long time. The brass is essentially 9 different libraries in and of itself, each requiring a different mix approach etc. #FUN!!! Century Brass 2.0 will be released first, followed by strings 2.0. I'll announce date as we get closer.

My ONLY work with 8Dio currently is this 2.0 update. I'm not producing any new libraries until this is complete. Please be assured that we will get the updates out as soon as we possibly can. The libraries are just over 1 year old, and 2.0 (so far) is making a big difference! I think our users will be happy.

Best,

Colin

Top Bottom