1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8DIO Century Brass

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by jamwerks, Jul 27, 2015.

1. nik

nik Senior Member

Jan 1, 2016
    @Colin O'Malley
    hi Colin ,
    after playin with century brass a little bit i wanted tpo share some impressions.
    I tried to play in some John Williams Lines like Indiana Jones .
    The Trombones worked great for the rythm and the sound is awsome in my opinion. That being said, i tried to get a convincin line out of the 4 trumpets patch, but after quiet some time i just switched to another library. I just dont get how to use the marcatos in the 4 trumpets patch. There is no option to influence the length of the note.
    I then checked Hollywood Brass for some comparison and the marcato patch there was just like i remebered: accented,note stops when i want. Easy results in no time. Honestly, i am no pro yet and if there is anything i am missing i apologize. I just think a real good trumpets patch is necessary in a library like this. i will keep posting my impressions.I dont wnat to be rude or anything, just thought workin together could maybe improve the library?
    best regards

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
  2. Saxer

Saxer Senior Member

Mar 30, 2008
    Frankfurt/Germany
    Excuse me for chiming in. There's the speed dial which alters the length of the one shot samples (i.e. selects longer or shorter recorded samples). But I'm also looking forward to the promised century updates with the option to stop notes via note off.

Ultraxenon and NoamL like this.
  3. vicontrolu

vicontrolu Senior Member

Dec 1, 2008
    I really can't understand what they were thinking with the speed knob. No artificial release sample? OK, but fiddling with another to get a note right cc is just not worth it. At least they should have provided the option for note off IMHO.

jamwerks and nik like this.
  4. Critz

Critz Senior Member

May 7, 2017
    That means they ARE "post processed", just not the way he described :)

You can tell us for example there isn't any kind of saturation or eq in the samples we play?

Thanks for your time.

5. nik

nik Senior Member

Jan 1, 2016
    HI thanks for chimning in:) Yeah to be honest i could not get a good result with that. Its so hard to get the right length of the note (at least for me)Its just frustrating to me:-(

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
  6. Saxer

Saxer Senior Member

Mar 30, 2008
    Frankfurt/Germany
    It's hard for developers to establish new workflows (even if they are good) because we are so used to things we already use. Especially when using combinations of libraries with layering etc... creating the same musical content with different CCs and note length is always time consuming.

7. Colin O'Malley

Colin O'Malley Senior Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Century 2.0 will have standard release triggers on marcatos as a second option. We're not abandoning the speed knob approach. Once you get used to it, it does sound better IMO. That final crescendo "push" off of a marcato is not the same with a standard release trigger, but I understand the workflow is different, and users need quicker results sometimes.

You also have 6 different marcato variations in the 4 trumpets patch (7 with staccato). Make sure you try all of those as well!

2.0 is not far away.

Best,

Colin

8. nik

nik Senior Member

Jan 1, 2016
    @Colin O'Malley hey colin, when can we expect the century brass update? u said its not far away :)

wbacer and artinro like this.
  9. OP
    OP
    jamwerks

jamwerks Senior Member

Mar 21, 2010
    Looking forward to this as well!

Shad0wLandsUK, artinro and nik like this.
  10. Are we getting a Century Strings 2.0 as well? ;)

Wouldn't mind some new features for them :P

muziksculp likes this.
  11. OP
    OP
    jamwerks

jamwerks Senior Member

Mar 21, 2010
    Colin announced some great new features in the Century Strings thread. And that does sound exciting!

muziksculp and Francis Bourre like this.
  12. musicisum

musicisum

Jul 30, 2018
    Looking forward to the updates, thanks for letting us know Colin :) So far I'm more than satisfied with the century brass but any improvement is welcome.

13. muziksculp

muziksculp Senior Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I wonder if they will also be updating Century Strings to ver. 2.0 ? and what will the update add, and/or improve to the current version of Century Strings. Also looking forward to Century Brass 2.0

artinro, Zoot_Rollo and reids like this.
  14. reids

reids Senior Member

Nov 30, 2013
    I am still waiting for the Century Strings ver 2.0 update as well. It's been some time now. Hope we get some news very soon.

muziksculp, artinro and Zoot_Rollo like this.