What's new

8DIO Century Brass

Spitfire libraries are processed. I believe they EQ their libraries, use compression per dynamic layer then bounce it and put it into Kontakt and you crossfade between processed layers. The clues are there in the samples. They sound good out of the box, but they take control away from you and with that come all the problems that these libraries have and that people have complained about.
This is categorically untrue.

Unless we publicize the specific processing by an artist - eg: HZ percussion -

Our orchestral libraries recorded at Air are not “post processed” in the way alleged above.

Paul

Would it matter if they were? Isn't the final product what's most important?
If the intention is to produce something as natural and pure sounding as possible, then of course it matters.

Obviously this only applies where the intention is not to produce something “hyped” deliberately.

aaronventure

This is categorically untrue.

Unless we publicize the specific processing by an artist - eg: HZ percussion -

Paul
Fair enough, it was an assumption based on some sample behavior. Edited my post.

Our orchestral libraries recorded at Air are not “post processed” in the way alleged above.
If you're at liberty to say, in what way are they processed, then (there's obviously some post given the difference between Albion 1 Legacy and ONE)? What about non-Air libraries? I'm just curious.

Fair enough, it was an assumption based on some sample behavior. Edited my post.

If you're at liberty to say, in what way are they processed, then (there's obviously some post given the difference between Albion 1 Legacy and ONE)? What about non-Air libraries? I'm just curious.
Of course. Albion ONE specifically is different from all the other Albions and the SSO as we deliberately processed and cleaned that up - as stated in all the publicity materials - to create the more “hybrid” scoring style.

That’s the exception though.

If there is any post processing to essentially “change” the natural sound we always state that.

aaronventure

Here's another trick, folks. This would be a cleaner approach than my previous post.

Decca Tree is usually panned the way it's set up - left mic all the way to the left, middle to the middle, right to the right. Due to the fact that they're not in the same position, they don't output the same signal.

Since the mid mic is in the middle, it's essentially mono - and you can isolate it with Mid/Side processing (it being the Mid channel). Which means that Side is comprised of left and right mics.

So you can split your Decca mic from Century into 3 tracks - Left, Mid and Right! Now if you simply decrease the volume of the right mic (or the left), you can move the horns as you wish while maintaining the wide Decca stereo image. Also decrease the volume of the mid mic a little bit to compensate for the change of balance. Now you just add in Close and Ambient mics on a different output and pan them as you wish (close and ambient seem to both be AB setups - so just panned hard left and right, meaning you can simply use the pan knob and it will adjust the balance properly). If you wanna delve deeper, you can play with the delays introduced to different mics as the instruments move around the room.

Here are the results - same figure from the video, just the Decca mic + 4th run is Run 3 with Close and Ambient mics simply panned on the mixer and volume adjusted.

[AUDIOPLUS=https://vi-control.net/community/attachments/2fh-midside-mp3.12354/][/AUDIOPLUS]

Bottom line:

Nothing is impossible. By being recorded centre, you get absolute control over positioning. The Mid/Side decoding isn't perfect, but you decide if you think it does the trick. The know-how is a different thing and since these products aren't being aimed at engineers or people who like to fiddle around with audio and processing, it would be nice to have some "official" controls and no need for this sort of trickery.

Since 8D have the master recordings, I believe their upcoming update with "in place" instruments won't be just Decca mic panned, but they'll use the actual individual Decca recordings the way I demonstrated here, it'll just be more accurate and clean because there will be no M/S decoding involved.

What would've solved it in the first place is them simply having Decca Mid and Decca Side mic positions instead of a single Decca, much like United Strings of Europe has.

upload_2018-3-11_14-20-1.png

Nevertheless, the update is coming and I'm sure everyone will be happy.

Attachments

Last edited:

storyteller

I feel this is the number one feature of Century that is overlooked. I really thought it was going to be something that everybody loved....but THUD :) I think we haven't done enough video tutorials emphasizing this feature. It's definitely a different workflow, but worth it in my opinion.
This was actually one of the things that attracted me to Century Series Brass/Strings. Workflow is different, yes, but it is a really great (and easy to use) feature when you get the hang of how to use it. Colin - just wanted to let you know that the feature wasn't missed completely. Surprisingly so, considering the number one complaint I've seen written from Adagio users was the lack of control on the arcs... ha. Finicky bunch here I guess. :thumbsup:

composingkeys

Anyone have any other thoughts on if Century Brass is worth having? What do you think of the sound? How easy is it to get musical results? Pros/Cons?

dhlkid

Anyone have any other thoughts on if Century Brass is worth having? What do you think of the sound? How easy is it to get musical results? Pros/Cons?
I wanna know too
Although the free pack doesn't sound amazing, some tutorial in YouTube sounds quite good.

Consona

Tried the free pack. The sound is nice but it feels like the lowest dynamic layers are not there. The knob says "pp" but that sound is not pp. The included mic position sounds really mono. And I don't know whether it's a Kontakt thing or Century Brass thing but I can hear the mod wheel moving in the sound of the instrument while playing the legato.

nik

No library is perfect but some libraries are more perfect than others. Forgive the weird sentence. :P
And a composers craft to my knowledge is primarly writing music not necessarily not making the tools used work... I'd like the developers to spend maximum effort on that so I can focus on writing music instead rather than such technicalities. Of course mastering sound design/mixing is very useful, propably even required in modern day music production. At the same time I think it is also important that your tools are as great sounding and workable as possible straight up - then you can spend more time writing the actual music with them - or making them sound even better rather than having to make workable to begin with.
Not sure if that was an understandable english sentence. :D Not a native speaker.
We may have to agree to disagree.

And just so this post isn't entirely off topic - here is some walkthorough and live composing by Dirk Ehlert which I think hasn't been shared here yet.
Hey anybody kno what Strings Dirk is using in his Video for Century Brass?

Top Bottom