8dio Adagio Solo Violin - Can you link music you have used it in?

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by DarkestShadow, Mar 31, 2018.

1. DarkestShadow

DarkestShadow Senior Member

Hi!
    I would be interested to hear this solo violin that is included in 8dio's Adagio Violins library in some more musical context. 8dio's demos hardly feature it.
    Maybe you can link some tracks you have used it in.
    Thanks! :)

2. IdealSequenceG

IdealSequenceG Who seeks ultimate sequencing of VI

Jul 15, 2017

0:01~0:12

It is short, but I tried a little here.

DarkestShadow likes this.
  3. constaneum

constaneum Senior Member

the legato isn't that great and lots of inconsistencies here and there. However, i do find other articulations pretty nice. The shorts are quite good.

4. ism

ism Senior Member

Dec 14, 2016
    The 8dio demo video of the instrument gets my vote for ‘video demo of a vi most necessary to approach skeptically’. The longs are nice, but I would never use the legato for anything. Among its issues are terrible dynamic crossfades.

In fairness, it’s roughly a ~6 year old library, which I think is about 20 in sample library years, and maybe 50 in solo string sample library years, at least in that there is argueably no class of instrument harder to sample than solo strings, and argueably no class of sample library that has made such huge advances, even i the last 18 months or so. 6 years ago I don’t think if anyone had got dynamic crossfades to work well.

There’s a reason that the marketing doesn’t include proper demos, and for the cello even more so.

5. OP
    OP
    DarkestShadow

(Just saw the responses now.)
    Yea, there really are almost no demos of the solo instruments. If they were great they would probably featured more in he demos. And in Troels Folmann's "Burn"demo for the violins he likely used phrases - I first thought thats the legato patch - would've been amazing! But then I read that it didn't even feature portamento legato and thus it couldn't be the legato patch. Futher reading revealed that phrases were included in the library as well - so those were probably used here.
    In the walkthrough the tone was great but some of the legatos weird. But I thought maybe it really is just "some"...
    It was pretty tempting because the entire Adagio Violins library and all others (ensemble, divisi, solo) was at sale. For between 50-70$!!!!!!!!!!
    Didn't get them though after I realized that Troels' demo was mostly phrases.

6. ism

ism Senior Member

Dec 14, 2016
    My advice in general: don't buy Adagio for the solo instruments. And don't approach 8dio demos as anything remotely resembling transparent representations of the library in everyday use.

That said, in the instances that it does actually delivers on the underlying artistic vision, there are things to love about Adagio. If only the marketing was more transparent, then maybe we could talk more about where it actually does deliver, instead of warning about where it doesn't.

7. OP
    OP
    DarkestShadow

I bought Adagio Violins now (118$) and I think the solo violin is quite lovely!
    Limited (not portamento - rather intense sound....) but still really nice - especially considering that it's more an "addon" to the actual focus, the orchestral strings.

Here is me trying it out the first time.
    Not a serious final piece here, more ideas... raw sketching.
    http://picosong.com/wP5Wv/

But you can hear the violin without a ton of tweaking. Just a bit, all done in a few minutes. Although I still have a substantial amount of CC1 linked with CC11 mangling the dynamics...

A bit of EQ* and reverb (Valhalla Vintage Verb - Concert Hall 24%).

*removed some weirdness around 1061, 2600, 5000 and a tiny bit around 850.

Last edited: May 14, 2018
    aleki3419 likes this.
  8. Johnny

Johnny Senior Member

Cool, what piano was that? Sounds great!

9. rottoy

rottoy Gentleman Scholar

May 12, 2013
    Is that the Art Vista Malmsjö piano?

10. OP
    OP
    DarkestShadow

ArtVista Malmsjö GVI with a bit of processing. :)

rottoy likes this.
  11. rottoy

rottoy Gentleman Scholar

May 12, 2013
    Knew it. It has that recognizable "bell" like quality.

12. Johnny

Johnny Senior Member

It sounds great! Really emotional!

13. OP
    OP
    DarkestShadow

Yep, my favorite piano regarding tone.
    Also the piano on almost every Hans Zimmer score and many Thomas Bergersen tracks.

I would love someone to find the original piano and sample it in more depth.
    8dio and deep-sampled characterful pianos...? :)
    @Colin O'Malley
    pleeeease :geek: (sorry for the harassment haha)

14. rottoy

rottoy Gentleman Scholar

May 12, 2013
    Why not inquire from @Hans Adamson himself?

15. Sid Francis

Sid Francis Senior Member

Feb 4, 2011
    near Cologne/ Germany
    Now we´re discussing the piano instead of the violin...and with a reason! :) Also immediately noticed the piano tone , and always liked the tone of the malmsjö...

16. OP
    OP
    DarkestShadow

Ah, true!

But 8dio are putting out deep-sampled products basically every 2 weeks haha, so might be more likely to come timely...
    Anyhow, otherwise I'll try it at some point! :D :D