What's new

8dio Acoustic Nylon Guitar on sale -- your thoughts?

musicalweather

8dio's Acoustic Nylon Guitar is on a flash sale, until 10 a.m. 3/9. For those who own this instrument, what are your thoughts about it? The solo version sounded pretty good to my ears. The strumming version sounded good, but less remarkable.

I'm not sure I'll spring for it, even with the low price. I've already got quite a few nylon and/or acoustic guitars by Pettinhouse, Best Service, Orange Tree (Songwriter Evolution), Realitone, MusicLab, Native Instruments (Strummed Acoustic), and Indiginus as well as the ones in Kontakt.

I liked it, but don't have much other experience to compare it. I suspect for the solo guitar, there are going to be better options with more articulations, but this was good enough for me. The big positive point in this 8dio library, I feel the mic technique on it is pretty good , except for some minor tinny "tinky" sound of the pick. It was reasonably playable too.

The strumming I especially like for someone like me who isn't that skilled in guitar, but wants a guitar rhythm backing. It has a nice workflow where you can change the chord while the pattern continues without resetting the rhythmic loop, this makes it possible to squeeze a lot of variety out of the rhythms and chords they provide. Especially when going one step further, you can play around with triggering the rhythms off the beat or splice different rhythms at a micro scale to get even more rhythmic combos. I have my eyes on the 8dio electric guitar, too, and also Native Instruments session guitar series because I like this style of strummer workflow.

Here's an example track I made using both solo and strummer. The mix does have a subtle small room reverb and compression but otherwise the sound is close to direct from library.

I have the steel string. It doesn't compare well to other guitar libraries, like Orange Tree Samples and Indiginus or Sunbird, because it lacks articulations . And I don't ever use the strum engine, because I like to have my chords recognized by my playing. Plus the strums shut off after a few bars. I suppose it could be okay if you programmed it through MIDI.

However, even with a single articulation, I find it very beautiful if you play it slowly--not like Troels plays it in the demos, which I think (sorry) highlights its weaknesses. The important thing for me is that there are a lot of unusual presets. Some are drenched in reverb and some are kind of hybrids with other instruments (morphed). I find these presets very beautiful and I enjoy playing. I would compare it to things like Omnisphere's Glorious Guitars patch or PluginGuru's MegaMagic Guitars.

Used with these presets, 8Dio's Steel Guitar is in no way a "go-to" guitar, it's for a special taste, like Malmsjo is to pianos. At $38, I think these colors are worth it.

I am trying to resist this. I've messed around putting a lot of different effects on my OTS nylon, but it doesn't sound like the demos. But probably going to buy it because I like the presets in the demos.

I found the tone of the solo nylon be much too "pop", bright and piercing, and the sound of the strummer seemingly being recorded deep in the church was really awful..

I’ve picked up quite a few of these strummed/solo bundle deals and no regrets, but I don’t think I’ll bite on this one. The recorded strums are a nice way to go but I didn’t see any in 3/4 time. Don’t need all the cinematic effects. For just a few dollars more I think I’ll get the Indiginus Renaxxance nylon.

A few months back they had a sale on the Bazantar, also for €38. And after playing with it for a while, I liked it... But I was happy I didn't pay full price (€198) for it. I'd have been miffed if I had paid even ½ of the full price.

It's much the same here.

I like it. I didn't have a decent Nylon Guitar VST yet, and for €38 it's a nice one to add to my collection. But never in a million years would I pay the full price (also €198) for it. If I'd have bought it for the full price, I would've blacklisted 8Dio immediately. I'd get this for no more than a ¼ of the full price.

So yes, if you want a decent Nylon Guitar VST for a decent price, pick it up now. Otherwise ignore it. Don't even look in its general direction when it's full price.

I’ve picked up quite a few of these strummed/solo bundle deals and no regrets, but I don’t think I’ll bite on this one. The recorded strums are a nice way to go but I didn’t see any in 3/4 time. Don’t need all the cinematic effects. For just a few dollars more I think I’ll get the Indiginus Renaxxance nylon.
I like the Indiginus a lot. I was looking for a better nylon then I had for a specific project and I was basically price shopping. The Indiginus turned out to be all I’ve needed since, although Elfimov’s sounds great.

I bought it yesterday...
It's quite cool, even though its tone is too boomy/fat - but that can be improved with an eq or sheps omni channel acoustic guitar presets
The one thing I don't like about this VST, that it's sometimes off tempo and that's really annoying

I have the steel string. It doesn't compare well to other guitar libraries, like Orange Tree Samples and Indiginus or Sunbird, because it lacks articulations . And I don't ever use the strum engine, because I like to have my chords recognized by my playing. Plus the strums shut off after a few bars. I suppose it could be okay if you programmed it through MIDI.

However, even with a single articulation, I find it very beautiful if you play it slowly--not like Troels plays it in the demos, which I think (sorry) highlights its weaknesses. The important thing for me is that there are a lot of unusual presets. Some are drenched in reverb and some are kind of hybrids with other instruments (morphed). I find these presets very beautiful and I enjoy playing. I would compare it to things like Omnisphere's Glorious Guitars patch or PluginGuru's MegaMagic Guitars.

Used with these presets, 8Dio's Steel Guitar is in no way a "go-to" guitar, it's for a special taste, like Malmsjo is to pianos. At $38, I think these colors are worth it.

I am trying to resist this. I've messed around putting a lot of different effects on my OTS nylon, but it doesn't sound like the demos. But probably going to buy it because I like the presets in the demos.
Despite what I wrote above, I didn't buy this. Instead, I stopped and took stock of what I have already. I have an excellent nylon string guitar from Orange Tree Samples, and the Indiginus one in Amadeus IMHO sounds better than this, and has mutes and slides, both of which can be mapped to velocity. EthnoWorld has the Hanika nylon, which again, sounds better to me, and has numerous key-switched articulations, including two longs, staccato, vib-slide, slide in, hammer-on half, hammer-on whole, pull off half, pull-off whole, and harmonics. With a little finessing with effects, I can get any dreamy sound I want with any of the above. $38 is not a deal if you don't need it.

Top Bottom