What's new

73% off Soundtoys plugins - GASP!

Just bought EchoBoy, and I love it!

Considering carefully. No question about EchoBoy quality and solid reputation.
Short-term hurdle is Plugin Alliance latest Promo _ bx _ delay 2500 @ $39. ….. M/S, Ducking, Distortion.
Honestly, not sufficient chops to truly compare and evaluate.

Would be cool to hear from capable Users who can educate on key differences.
Time to add one or the other ….. :unsure:

Two very different tools. They are both very flexible. Echoboy is my weapon of choice for most delay applications where I am "crafting" a sound. bx_delay, or any one of several PSP delays are my choice when I want to create something a little off the beaten path.

It is possible that any of the above can do it all, but that's my approach.

And sometimes I use a single purpose emulation, especially the UAD Cooper Time Cube or their tape delays.

It is very easy (at least for me) to end up with too many choices for delays!

Two very different tools. They are both very flexible. Echoboy is my weapon of choice for most delay applications where I am "crafting" a sound. bx_delay, or any one of several PSP delays are my choice when I want to create something a little off the beaten path. ************
It is very easy (at least for me) to end up with too many choices for delays!

Serious thanks for taking time ! Time constrained offers and this covers uncertainties nicely. :thumbsup:

Already ".... ending up with too many choices …"
Izotope: DDLY, Unfiltered Audio: Byome, Fault, Sandman Pro, Waves: Super Tap, NI: Replika XT, Audified: STA Delay, + , :rolleyes:

No question, I'm reacting to these promo prices for popular additions, perhaps already covered. :barefoot:
Will think carefully through your experiences.

I was thinking about Echoboy too. Would existing owners say it brings anything significant to the table that others don't? I have Replika, Modnetic, Diffuse and Ableton's devices.

I was thinking about Echoboy too. Would existing owners say it brings anything significant to the table that others don't? I have Replika, Modnetic, Diffuse and Ableton's devices.
I have Replica too, and would say that it does offer more customization, different kinds of delay characteristics etc. I never use replica because of Echo Boy. I can't talk about the others though.

Frankly most of the time I just use ReaDelay instead of Echoboy because ReaDelay has no PDC and most of the time Echoboy doesn't bring enough extra to the table to justify the PDC hassle, as small as it might be. That's just my experience.

Decapitator is great though.

Last edited:

All of Soundtoys products have crafted presets that not only work well but sound warmer and fatter than other makers. Echoboy has a wide range of presets to start crafting a great delay, yet it's easy to go under the hood and customize. It has a warm old school sound I used to get from hardware, but without the noise and click-pops. ;) Panman, Echoboy, Crystalizer, Decapitator, Filterfreak 2, Microshift, and PhaseMistress all have that hardware charm and presets that go beyond the usual.

I have Replica too, and would say that it does offer more customization, different kinds of delay characteristics etc. I never use replica because of Echo Boy. I can't talk about the others though.
Replica allows you to add post fx like flanger plus it has ducking. Echoboy has more customizable styles (saturation etc) but overall they cover similar ground. I used echoboy for years but lately I’ve been leaning more towards replika which has a more modern and straight forward GUI. I have a gazilion delays but these two are among the best for sure

Replica allows you to add post fx like flanger plus it has ducking. Echoboy has more customizable styles (saturation etc) but overall they cover similar ground. I used echoboy for years but lately I’ve been leaning more towards replika which has a more modern and straight forward GUI. I have a gazilion delays but these two are among the best for sure

Good to see. My posted uncertainty about adding Plugin Alliance /bx_delay 2500 includes M/S, ducking, distortion, chorus …. @ $39. …. vs Echoboy @ $49.
I enjoy Replika XT and hesitate to add unless there are notable enhancements.

Good to see. My posted uncertainty about adding Plugin Alliance /bx_delay 2500 includes M/S, ducking, distortion, chorus …. @ $39. …. vs Echoboy @ $49.
I enjoy Replika XT and hesitate to add unless there are notable enhancements.

Been looking at BX_delay for a while but it has a few serious limitations, does it even do ping/pong for instance? Only one algorithm etc. It´s not in the same league as Replika and Echoboy for sure. The only thing I´m really missing in all three really is a reverse delay effect and a scalable GUI.

Been looking at BX_delay for a while but it has a few serious limitations, does it even do ping/pong for instance? Only one algorithm etc. It´s not in the same league as Replika and Echoboy for sure. The only thing I´m really missing in all three really is a reverse delay effect and a scalable GUI.

Ha! Must go back through now and watch some vids. I trial'd long ago and no current way to check.

(edit) ……… "Indeed my new go to delay Plugin. Takes a moment longer than other delays to get going at the start, but worth it. For example, if you want a ping pong, you have to figure out how to dial it in, rather than just press the ping ping button. However, the sounds you can get are rather unique, without having to open any other extra Plugins, so it is definitely worth your time."

Now, still puzzling. Leaning toward bx_delay 2500 for longer term.

Last edited:
Not to go off-topic here but I find the Soundtoys color scheme kinda difficult to work with on a computer. Mostly black knobs on black panels, with some tiny white text with that 90s font. (And are the white knob notches really necessary? they seem to just busy the interface and fight for visual attention). Maybe this works well for hardware, but I often sigh when I open ST stuff. I've picked up quite a few on sale, and while they're decent plugins (especially due to some of the built-in saturation), I mostly end up using other plugins or native Live devices.

While on the topic of delays, another one to consider is UVI Relayer. I've been able to program some pretty crazy delays with it and it offers features i've not seen in other delays.

which soundtoys plugin is must have?
Depends on what you need, good sir! The one I've used most is FilterFreak to destroy synth / bass sounds with heavy filtering and saturation. I don't have Decapitator but have played with it, and it's a nice saturator. Tremolator offers something unique due to the programmable (and swingable!) tremolo pattern.

Kind of interested in decapitator. Is there a lot of overlap with Trash 2 (my usual go to)?

I also have Trash 2 and demoed Decapitator a while back - I was able to get Trash sounding quite similar, so in my view it didn't justify another purchase for me. And having a multiband mode in Trahs is a big advantage. I'd say Trash is more powerful, at the expense of being not so immediate perhaps.

Not to go off-topic here but I find the Soundtoys color scheme kinda difficult to work with on a computer. Mostly black knobs on black panels, with some tiny white text with that 90s font.

I agree... the UIs are not great. But the sound is second to none, so it's worth the bad user experience IMO.

I agree... the UIs are not great. But the sound is second to none, so it's worth the bad user experience IMO.

I think I'm more sensitive to UI issues due to poor vision and tendinitis. Regardless, I do think they're fine plugins although perhaps a little overhyped. When I see them on sale (as with most other software in fact!) I get major GAS... but then my thrifty gene kicks in and I decide to try recreating the sound I like with stuff I already have and am usually successful. I find a setting that I like in the demo, then I pull up a plugin I already have and try to match the sound by AB comparison. Got Trash sounding pretty close to Decapitator this way and same thing with Eventide Blackhole, using UVI Sparkverb which I already had. It's been a good lesson for me that I can do what I need with what I already have. Oooooom...

Top Bottom