$70 more worth the lower ram CAS?

Discussion in 'Your DAW (Digital Audio Workstation)' started by Dracarys, Mar 10, 2019.

1. Dracarys

Dracarys Senior Member

Dec 31, 2010
    Hello,

Trying to decide between these:

16 CL

vs

14 CL

vs

19 CL 2666 (cheapest)

Thanks!

2. wuubb

wuubb New Member

Oct 10, 2016
    I posted this on another thread recently, but when you look at the overall latency in nanoseconds (scroll down to the chart), it's pretty insignificant event between memory architectures (DDR3 vs DDR4).

While that article concludes that speed is what you should look for, again, you're talking about maybe 1ns difference if you're lucky.

Just go with what's cheaper, but do buy from a reputable brand and run memtest86 on it to make sure it has no bad blocks.

Dracarys likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Dracarys

Dracarys Senior Member

Dec 31, 2010
    Thanks very informative. Will probably go with timetec since they have guaranteed lifetime warranty.

4. kitekrazy

kitekrazy Senior Member

Dec 23, 2008
    I always thought buying RAM is a rocket science. I go with brand and price. Interesting that most RAM manufacturers offer life time warranties.

5. dzilizzi

dzilizzi I know nothing

Feb 27, 2017
    Somewhere near Los Angeles
    Lifetime of what? The RAM? Although when I think about it, I’ve rarely had RAM failure compared to hard drive failure.

6. wuubb

wuubb New Member

Oct 10, 2016
    It's not so much that the entire RAM stick will fail, like a hard drive, but that it can have bad blocks (just like a drive). The only difference is that while bad blocks on drives usually get avoided and the data is written somewhere else (and can usually be repaired either by the drive controller or the filesystem), trying to write to a bad part of RAM will give you a BSOD.

dzilizzi likes this.
  7. EvilDragon

EvilDragon KSP Wizard

May 25, 2010
    Croatia
    Not sure why you're opening the same question in two subforums. At any rate, maybe just post computer hardware related questions here rather than Kontakt subforum :)

whiskers and Dracarys like this.
  8. OP
    OP
    Dracarys

Dracarys Senior Member

Dec 31, 2010
    Well looks like I'm going with Timetec 2666 with 19 cas if speeds are negligible. They are also the only company that provides lifetime warranty, vs the others that grant 3 years, which means they must be very confident in their product. Will definitely run memtest as always!

9. EvilDragon

EvilDragon KSP Wizard

May 25, 2010
    Croatia
    HyperX/Kingston also has lifetime warranty, and they have among the lowest failure rates...

Dracarys likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    Dracarys

Dracarys Senior Member

Dec 31, 2010
    Well, damn.

11. kitekrazy

kitekrazy Senior Member

Dec 23, 2008
    I don't think I've had any brand fail.

Dracarys likes this.
  12. Nick Batzdorf

Nick Batzdorf Moderator

Sep 14, 2004
    Los Angeles
    On one hand, it costs millions and millions of dollars to set up a memory factory, and I don't believe there are any Joe's Acme Living Room RAM Bargain Cheapo factories.

On the other, it doesn't cost much more to buy from outlets that will take it back if it doesn't work, exchange it if it goes bad (only happened to me once), and sell memory with lifetime warranty. I like 18004memory, because they're the outfit that exchanged my bad RAM the one time I had a stick go bad.

Dracarys likes this.