1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

5 weeks now - will anyone listen and give feedback?

Discussion in 'Member's Compositions' started by Mads Skønberg, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Mads Skønberg

Mads Skønberg Senior Member

Aug 18, 2017
    Now it is 5 (or maybe 6 weeks) since I started making this kind of music. I will call my music Epic soundtrack/trailer/filmmusic.

I would be very happy if you will listen and tell me what you think about my piece. Thanx!

2. sekkosiki

sekkosiki Senior Member

Jan 14, 2014
    Espoo
    You've definitely made progression :). Some observations:
    • The piano is very quiet, it's supposed to carry the melody in the beginning, but it gets drowned by the background strings.
    • I would take the crash in the start away.
    • The drum hits in 0.24, 0.29 and 0.34 sound a bit strange, maybe they are too loud compared to the melody and the background.
    • The choir gets a bit drowned in the mix too. Maybe you could make the mixing especially in the chorus part clearer.
    • I would like a bit more development in the melody. The chorus is very similar to the melody in the beginning and there's just a different part at 0.57, which is good. For your next song try experimenting and developing the theme even more. E.g. what I sometimes do is that I have a rhythmic idea in the beginning, and a melody, but I'm not repeating the melody in the chorus, but e.g. I'm utilizing the same rhythmic idea and parts of the melody
    Hope these help.

3. whitewasteland

whitewasteland Senior Member

Mar 9, 2016
    In the middle of nowhere.
    That's a beautiful theme, Mads. I'm hearing some harmony issues here and there (at 0:52 for exemple), and the rythmic signature is quite confusing : the piano theme looks clearly 3/4, but when the percs or the string ostinato comes in, it's 4/4. My advice would be to make a choice here, I can't bang my head like the metalhead I used to be ;)

Otherwise, again, beautiful theme ! Seems like you're inspired and productive, keep up the good work !

4. CGR

CGR Pianist/Composer/Arranger

Jan 14, 2016
    Australia
    I concur with the above points. I'd suggest letting the piano state & reinforce the theme solo to begin with, and layer from there. The crash and strings just get in the way initially. Don't be afraid to make a simple musical statement without feeling the need to embellish straight away. And yes, the 3/4 - 4/4 mix is confusing and jarring for this type of piece. The ideas are there for a really nice theme, but less is more I think in this case.

5. OP
    OP
    Mads Skønberg

Aug 18, 2017
    Thanx everyone. This is very good feedback for me.

I have tried to make some changes into the piece. The 3/4 4/4 issue is on purpose. I think it is making the piece more interesting, but I understand I might be wrong here:)

Here is the piece incl the changes.

sekkosiki likes this.
  6. matolen

matolen Senior Member

Nov 13, 2012
    NYC
    I listened to the original and reworked and I definitely think the revised version is better, and more cohesive. Good job!

7. OP
    OP
    Mads Skønberg

Aug 18, 2017
    Thanx.

I finally managed to make some music again..

Please listen and tell me about this track:

C-Wave likes this.
  8. matolen

matolen Senior Member

Nov 13, 2012
    NYC
    I like the violin/strings line. I want to hear it more before the drum beds come in actually. It would be interesting to hear a more traditional or mellow orchestration with it at some point (thats just my taste of course).

9. Desire Inspires

Desire Inspires Senior Member

Jul 30, 2016
    Miami Beach
    Are you going to submit your music to any music libraries?

10. OP
    OP
    Mads Skønberg

Aug 18, 2017
    Is it Good enough?

And how do I do that?

11. OP
    OP
    Mads Skønberg

Aug 18, 2017
    BTW I am working with a new song now. Here is how far I have come until now:

C-Wave likes this.
  12. C-Wave

C-Wave Senior Member

Feb 27, 2016
    Nice, melody wise ok, keep going.. btw, if the violin probably a notch higher would make it more effective as it's the main melody.

Mads Skønberg likes this.
  13. C-Wave

C-Wave Senior Member

Feb 27, 2016
    I like it.. would have preferred adding (more) bass drums for more oomph! Bells too at the end would stand a little higher resounding end.. just a little!

Mads Skønberg likes this.
  14. Desire Inspires

Desire Inspires Senior Member

Jul 30, 2016
    Miami Beach
    Yes, it's good enough.

Submit to Gothic Storm. Just send them a few Soundcloud links of your best work. Go for it!

https://www.gothic-storm.com/#contact