What's new

4-killer-synths-for-cinematic-scoring-and-sound-design

Okay @Pier

Announcement:
I definitely want Dune 3 and if there is a good enough BF offer, I shall make a move. The demo’s are indeed very convincing - just sonically speaking this thing seems very solid.

If there’s a good deal I will also be picking it up, my demo time limit ran out and I loved the synth

I would defenitly put arturias pigment instead of either iris or massive x.

Dune3 is very good. nice virus ti replacement. althugh the edit blue windows drives me nuts how small it is. Wish it was pop up to edit sequences etc.

Okay @Pier

Announcement:
I definitely want Dune 3 and if there is a good enough BF offer, I shall make a move. The demo’s are indeed very convincing - just sonically speaking this thing seems very solid.

Synapse typically has BF deals of 40% off.

You could get it (broken link removed) though. Just sayin :)

Dune3 is very good. nice virus ti replacement. althugh the edit blue windows drives me nuts how small it is. Wish it was pop up to edit sequences etc.
Yeah, the UI is the weakest aspect of Dune. Hopefully Richard will improve this for Dune 4.

So what you’re saying is I should buy it right now…

3kCRLRkU7tU97fDwfZXwBLZqTveXFNXxysGFI7pwFCWJhkamBBfUv5lBs6SqEkY5L5mSZOdJLYqu6Up623vz2A

I love Iris2 but it seems to have real problems on my MacBook M1 - so much so that I decided to uninstall it. I really wish it was updated.

Trust PB, yet some deals make me skittish. Is this what It seems ?? i.e. full Iris 2 + some (bass) content ? for ~ $20. ? Read and re-read 😒

Iris 2 has been selling new around $10 brand new, sometimes with extras, for most of this year I believe. I have occasionally seen it at around full price, but only a couple of times. I guess it wasn't selling at full price.

It makes lovely sounds pretty much whatever you do with it. Even lovelier when used by someone who knows what they are doing: there are some great presets around.

I'm also glad to say that the GUI is resizable.

Trust PB, yet some deals make me skittish. Is this what It seems ?? i.e. full Iris 2 + some (bass) content ? for ~ $20. ? Read and re-read 😒

This is legit. I bought IRIS2 for a tenner years ago. After all the earlier discussion, let me just add that I kind of like of what this synth does. But maybe somewhat in the same vein Steinberg Padshop 2 is a more usable engine, AND still at least gets some love from the developer. But for this price, IRIS won’t disappoint.

I wonder what is your opinion on Ableton Live stock synths? How far can you go with them compared to these "killer" synths mentioned here?
Not intended for me, but I'll chime in. There is a guy going by "CHOOS" at the KVRAudio forum who for a long time was responding to people's how-do-I-make-this-sound requests by creating the sounds in Charlatan, a free plugin. He lately has been using Vital. He gets damn close a lot of the time, and it shows how many of the synth sounds out there can be made with one synth plugin.

Ableton's synths are damn good sonically. I don't like their tiny GUIs, but you can go very far with them.

I wonder what is your opinion on Ableton Live stock synths? How far can you go with them compared to these "killer" synths mentioned here?
Honestly? Some of the best around. They sound very good. The AAS ones are cool little cousins of Chromaphone. Operator hits the sweetspot when it comes to quickly dialing in some 4 operator FM stuff. Wavetable is a very capable synth as well. And I like how they’re all mapped to my Push 1 controller. Use them all the time really.

As a matter of fact, one of my coolest recent acquisitions has been OctoCell. A great FM / additive hybrid conceived by some of the people from IRCAM. Full on Ableton synth. It sounds ridiculous really. And I also spent a lot if time with Modalys by IRCAM lately (MAX For Live synth).

For BF I have my eyes on the IRCAMAX 2 bundle. So yeah, quite a good platform for synthesis.

Iris 2 has been selling new around $10 brand new, sometimes with extras, for most of this year I believe. I have occasionally seen it at around full price, but only a couple of times. I guess it wasn't selling at full price.

It makes lovely sounds pretty much whatever you do with it. Even lovelier when used by someone who knows what they are doing: there are some great presets around.

I'm also glad to say that the GUI is resizable.
THX ! Will watch more closely. Dune @ $99. seems strong option.
Added Pigments 3 recently and watching Phase Plant for BlkFri deal.
Omni v2.8, Spire, Massive X, Repro 1-5, Vital _ have been mainstream.

Okay okay. I concur. I may add Dune 3 to my BF list. To show I do value your endorsements. Most of my extremely limited boundaries when it comes to owning any synth ever created has to do with reducing option stress… which as a matter of fact I do experience from time to time.
I chose Hive 2 > Dune 3 primarily because I think the virtual oscillators sound better, and think both would be definite overlap. But, if that's OK, then Dune 3 is a great synth. If you have one you really don't NEED the other. Want is something else... :grin: And I'm selling Pigments 3 on KVR because, no matter how many times I tried, I simply couldn't connect with it and had zero interest in continuing to try - a lot like the Peak when I tried it. Doesn't help that it's so CPU heavy - even Vital is lighter weight.

To be sure I'm on-topic: I think Hive 2 should've been on the original list, as well as Dune 3, Vital, and Pigments 3. All of them have the clean, modern vibe with lots of features, functions, and voices for atmospheric pads or cutting/pulsing basslines.

I chose Hive 2 > Dune 3 primarily because I think the virtual oscillators sound better, and think both would be definite overlap. But, if that's OK, then Dune 3 is a great synth. If you have one you really don't NEED the other. Want is something else... :grin: And I'm selling Pigments 3 on KVR because, no matter how many times I tried, I simply couldn't connect with it and had zero interest in continuing to try - a lot like the Peak when I tried it. Doesn't help that it's so CPU heavy - even Vital is lighter weight.

To be sure I'm on-topic: I think Hive 2 should've been on the original list, as well as Dune 3, Vital, and Pigments 3. All of them have the clean, modern vibe with lots of features, functions, and voices for atmospheric pads or cutting/pulsing basslines.
Agreed (I think). Hive 2.1 is one of the best sounding synths I know, maybe only topped by Bazille. I think Dune 3 is indeed more of a “want” for me right now. ;)

I almost exclusively use software synths from Native. I think that Reaktor in general and some of the official Reaktor-based synths such as Rounds, Kontour, Prism, and Form should be mentioned more often when speaking about cinematic sounds.

Also, VI synths from AIR Music Technology actually have more potential than it seems when comparing them to some far more popular names in the synth world.
Just going to say Air. Also UHe

Disappointed to see latest Dune 3 ongoing tid-bits. HIVE 2.1 always there @ $150. (stuff the $1) but earlier user impressions were making Dune 3 seem current, strong potential add.
No immediate push with BlkFri so close.

Last edited:
Top Bottom