What's new

Dear Villain

Coffee before music
Hey all,

Here's a piano quintet in 2 movements that I wrote called Pathos and Rapture. I did post it a while back, but..."crickets" :) lol Anyway, I'll give it one more go. I totally get that it's not the style of music most crave and the length is also a challenge in our fast-paced world, so no hard feelings if you skip past it, but for the few that may enjoy it, here ya go!

It uses Pianoteq's Steinway D, Embertone's Joshua Bell violin, and VSL's solo strings.

Cheers,
Dave

TGV

Fine work, well structured and developed, although I thought the 2nd movement was more coherent than the first (which –if you permit– sounds a bit like you can't really choose between Rachmaninov and Ravel!); it was certainly more lyrical. The first mvmt, of course, feels more energetic, and interesting with its rather large leaps. Both mvmts are well worth a listen.

The rendering feels very natural: I never got the impression I was listening to the "wrong" articulation, nor that the samples limited the performance.

About the mix: the strings feels a bit "in your face", not completely acoustic, especially in the louder passages; when the first violin separates from the others, it sounds better to me (possibly because of different ways the samples were recorded). The piano sounds more boxy, constrained, than the strings, although not all the time, and gets a bit shrill, clangorous in some ff passages (e.g. in the opening bars of the first mvmt).

OP
Dear Villain

Dear Villain

Coffee before music
Hi TGV,

Thank you for listening, commenting, and preventing this piece from going directly into the VI Forum's composition graveyard without a single comment :)

Appreciate your remarks, and of course, music written today will always bear influences/reminders of those that came before. I never contemplate these things when composing, and while I obviously can in retrospect understand the Rachmaninov/Ravel reference, it certainly wasn't conscious. I leave those kind of observations to the observant critics, such as yourself. When I write, if I were to worry about "sounding like" someone else, I probably would never do anything in the first place.

The mix will always be challenging, especially when the music requires so much emotional phrasing, dynamic change, etc. Also, you're right: the piano is a modeled one, vs. the modern sampled JB violin, and the decade-plus older VSL strings, which can lead to competing sounds rather than a more homogenous ensemble. That said, it was done to capitalize on the extra expressiveness of the JB violin, rather than go completely with the VSL string quartet (as I've done in numerous other pieces).

Cheers!
Dave

Top Bottom