What's new

2nd Monitoring options ?

DanPhaseMusic

Hi There

I’ve got a pair of KH 120A’s as my main monitors and I’m very happy with them. I’ve got good headphones and the sonarworks system to flatten the response. I’m using the Babyface audio interface.

I’ve been feeling of late that a lot of mixes are not translating as well as they could on other listening formats (phone/tv/headphones etc).

What I want is a extra monitor/cube/grotbox of some kind and a way to switch between it and my main monitors without having to buy a new interface. Any recommendations from people with similar setups ?

Cheers

Dan

I built a simple box with a 4-pole DT switch that routs my mixer outputs to either my main PreSonus monitors & sub-woofer or to a second set of smaller monitors. I did it for just the reason you mention. I used balanced cables and it's a grounded metal project box so the switch adds no noticeable noise to my signal. I also get no pops or clicks when switching. I used an on-off-on switch, so as an added bonus I can easily turn off all monitor speakers when I want to record or listen using headphones by putting the switch in the center position. It was inexpensive and effective, but it's admittedly a low-tech solution and with your nice system you may be looking for something more elegant!
IMG_20181014_0948050.jpg

Reactions: muk
I use RME Babyface as well with Dynaudio monitors, and then I have Avantone mixcubues (using the adat/spdiff connection to d/a conver and from there to mixcubes) as my second monitors. It's cheap D/A converter, but it's enough for the Avantones.

I use the cheapest thing you can find: an audio splitter on my headphones output and plugged in the earbuds that came with my phone. If it sounds good on these, it sounds good anywhere!

I like to check mixes on one of my teufel concept e100 satelites plugged into its own output of my saffire pro 40. Always check on phone speakers and if possible in a car.

I use Antelope Satori, quite expensive but excelente, super transparent.
Had Sm Pro Audio, Demoed Mackie, presonus, all have the features you want but doesnt sound transparent, lost a lot of details with them. I also considered buying DMG Source, DBox, Avocett and Dangerous ST. I liked Avocettt and Dangerous but they were out of my budget, so i opted for Satori, it had more features than Dbox or Source, its quite a big set up, before i had 2 pair of monitors, Focal CMS40 and Event 20/20, when i worked on accoustics i realized they didnt sound good, so i sold both pairs, i got an awesome deal on KH310 but couldnt afford, so i read about Amphion, and bought Amphions One15, they sound incredible, my plan when i move to a larger room, is adding a pair of KH310, love those monitors, and they are not that expensive like ATC. But for a small room (2.8mx4.1m) i think its too much low and power.

Have you also worked on your accoustics? Its a pretty common mistake, you dont need to have a quality room for mastering, just a controlled room. It Will help you since your monitors will sound much better and flatter, you will still make mistakes, but some minor.
BTW: i know you are using a Babyface and dont want to change it, but interfaces with more outputs, like Audient id22/44, Apogee Quartet, you can switch between channels and it will sound much better than buying cheap monitor mixers with your babyface, for a fraction of the price. I didnt like how babyface sounds anyways, prefer its big big brothers.

There was a studio that setup a wireless system so they could go out to their cars and listen to the mixes from there.

I always thought that was a brilliant way to check the mix on not only a second set of speakers, but also in a different environment.

This also allowed the band members to hear it in their own personal systems.

The car is a great environment for listening, especially when driving.
When you are out of the studio and performing another task (driving), you tend to hear from a fresher perspective.

@DanPhaseMusic

I use a Mackie Big Knob to switch between a couple sets of monitors.

I also have kickass in-ear monitors that I leave permanently plugged into one of the headphone outs.

Top Bottom