What's new

2nd monitor

jadedsean

I'm wondering if anyone has had experience with converting vga to hdmi, i have a two monitor setup, one is Samsung C32F391 Curved 32inch and the other is a Samsung C27F398F curved 27 inch, i wanted to upgrade the 27inch to the same as the the 32 inch. Iv'e actually bought this oneand then realized my desktop only has 1 hdmi and 1 vga port. I have looked around the internet about this, i haven't found a lot of information and the information i did find show mixed results. Any info would be appreciated. Computer specs below.

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3408 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB

I'm wondering if anyone has had experience with converting vga to hdmi, i have a two monitor setup, one is Samsung C32F391 Curved 32inch and the other is a Samsung C27F398F curved 27 inch, i wanted to upgrade the 27inch to the same as the the 32 inch. Iv'e actually bought this oneand then realized my desktop only has 1 hdmi and 1 vga port. I have looked around the internet about this, i haven't found a lot of information and the information i did find show mixed results. Any info would be appreciated. Computer specs below.

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3408 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
I’m not sure if you can because VGA is standard definition (not HD). I know you can downscale signals to standard definition via hdmi (end to end) but it sounds unlikely that VGA will speak well to HDMI. Sorry if I couldn’t be of any help.

Not sure what you are asking in total ..... I run twin 1920 x 1080 27" monitors (extended) and cone connected wth HDMI cable / other with VGA to HDMI cable. However, these are driven by older nVidia GeForce 560Ti video card.
No resolution or other issues. On Windows10 Pro latest ( v.2004). Not sure what more I can add ?

So what @Phil81 is referencing is, VGA is an Analog signal and HDMI is Digital. The specs of the monitor you want to buy are going to make a difference. VGA has limits on resolution.

Here is some more info fro ma quick search: https://airtame.com/vga-to-hdmi/

Optional path: find a new-er generation graphics card for cheap, use dual HDMI or Displayport for your monitors.

You could try an adapter like this to convert the signal: https://www.amazon.com/Moread-Gold-Plated-Projector-Chromebook-Raspberry/dp/B00SW9JI9A/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2GFM9AUWBRQ4J&keywords=vga+to+hdmi+adapter&qid=1575998655&sprefix=vga+to+hdi%2Caps%2C209&sr=8-3 (VGA to HDMI adapter Amzn)

So what @Phil81 is referencing is, VGA is an Analog signal and HDMI is Digital. The specs of the monitor you want to buy are going to make a difference. VGA has limits on resolution.

Here is some more info fro ma quick search: https://airtame.com/vga-to-hdmi/

Optional path: find a new-er generation graphics card for cheap, use dual HDMI or Displayport for your monitors.
Any suggestions on a new graphics card guys? Also is this an easy job to do, and does it matter what computer I have, meaning can any graphics card fit my desktop? Ideally I don’t want to spend anything to crazy as the computer will have to be upgraded at some stage.

Any suggestions on a new graphics card guys? Also is this an easy job to do, and does it matter what computer I have, meaning can any graphics card fit my desktop? Ideally I don’t want to spend anything to crazy as the computer will have to be upgraded at some stage.

Sure - GTX 1650, and Radeon RX570 are great examples of modern video cards on a budget that will still work great on your next machine. Somewhere around 120-150 US for those, even less for used.

Sure - GTX 1650, and Radeon RX570 are great examples of modern video cards on a budget that will still work great on your next machine. Somewhere around 120-150 US for those, even less for used.
great thanks so much for the advice. Do you know if their can be compatibility issues with changing out graphics cards?

Usually there wouldn't be any compatibility issues if you are choosing one with a chipset from the big two: AMD or NVIDIA. The drivers come directly from the chipset manufacturer for Windows.

That said, I prefer AMD for music applications as the drivers tend to play nicer with low audio latencies.

What are you using now? Does your motherboard have on-board graphics?

Usually there wouldn't be any compatibility issues if you are choosing one with a chipset from the big two: AMD or NVIDIA. The drivers come directly from the chipset manufacturer for Windows.

That said, I prefer AMD for music applications as the drivers tend to play nicer with low audio latencies.

What are you using now? Does your motherboard have on-board graphics?
Great thanks a lot for the info it’s much appreciated.

Top Bottom