What's new

2018 Mac Mini

Olfirf

In case you can upgrade the RAM without to much problems, half of the story looks decent! I like the 10gbe option and the processor options look really good for an audio workstation. But one thing still looks sad: With everything maxed out except for RAM and SSD, the price is 1620€, which is pretty much ok, I think. Now, increase that SSD from 256Gb (in 2018, really?) to 2tb and the price more than doubles! That is ridiculous!
You could say, why not replace the internal storage with external? Yeah, but that is a waste of resources. The fastest storage is the internal and I want to be able to make use of that. Apple, why don't you just charge reasonable rates for storage and memory upgrades and this would be a great offering! I also don't buy all of that green attitude they are trying to sell us, when you basically cannot replace parts like ram and ssds. Also, if customers buy a lower specd system, only to throw the ram out and buy more for a good price, that is a total waste of silicon and not green at all.

Last edited:

whinecellar

Jim Daneker
GRRRRRRRR... just chatting with an Apple rep about RAM and this is what he says:

"It has two SO-DIMM slots and has to be upgraded at an Apple Authorized Service provider, so it is not user-upgradeable." Waiting on confirmation on whether that means we can supply our own RAM....

OP
Will Wilson

Will Wilson

All the gear, no idea
GRRRRRRRR... just chatting with an Apple rep about RAM and this is what he says:

"It has two SO-DIMM slots and has to be upgraded at an Apple Authorized Service provider, so it is not user-upgradeable." Waiting on confirmation on whether that means we can supply our own RAM....
We'll wait and see, I would hazard a guess that it can still be upgraded ourselves as it's not soldered.

Are you sure the new Mac Mini is user upgradable?
Look at the iMac Pro, no way to open it at home, it's sealed.
I have doubts about it. Nothing stated on the web site, and the manual for the new one doesn't seem to be available yet.
Usually, if something is not user-upgradeable, Apple is clear about it when you click on the "How much x do I need?"
For example, the Mac Mini storage link says this:
upload_2018-10-30_11-12-41.png
While the memory link says this:
upload_2018-10-30_11-13-6.png

So it seems like memory might be able to be upgraded after the fact. Which would be awesome. We'll have to wait for more info to be sure, of course.

Ohhhh bummer...

whinecellar

Jim Daneker
We'll wait and see, I would hazard a guess that it can still be upgraded ourselves as it's not soldered.
Yes, most likely - but only if you're willing to void the warranty. Tearing the old Mac Mini apart wasn't the easiest job, and apparently this new one is much harder to get into. And this just in:

"Since it is not user-upgradeable, you will need to buy the RAM from Apple (through an auth. service center) if you want to upgrade later."

There are times I hate this company.

Wunderhorn

It was again an Apple Event for Teletubbies. Mac Mini looks nice for smaller budgets at first glance, but the limitations do not feel like any great advancements have been made. 64GB maximum in the world of sample libraries, in 2018? Are they kidding??

OP
Will Wilson

Will Wilson

All the gear, no idea
Yes, most likely - but only if you're willing to void the warranty. Tearing the old Mac Mini apart wasn't the easiest job, and apparently this new one is much harder to get into. And this just in:

"Since it is not user-upgradeable, you will need to buy the RAM from Apple (through an auth. service center) if you want to upgrade later."

There are times I hate this company.
Upgrading old Mac Mini RAM is a click and go you don't even need a screwdriver?

whinecellar

Jim Daneker
It was again an Apple Event for Teletubbies. Mac Mini looks nice for smaller budgets at first glance, but the limitations do not feel like any great advancements have been made. 64GB maximum in the world of sample libraries, in 2018? Are they kidding??
Well hey, at least they're putting in a solid effort on keeping current with emoticons. I mean hey, priorities, people.

redlester

Oh come on...it's Space Grey!!!:faint:
Personally am getting by fine with 16GB RAM but then am not doing projects with dozens of tracks, etc. hopefully by the time my current 2012 model kicks the bucket these new ones might be reasonably priced second hand.

Reactions: col

IFM

I'm sure we will be able to upgrade it ourselves...just wait for OWC to get on the case. Even so I'm super excited about this as a potential upgrade to my MP5,1 12 core down the road.

Anders Wall

55°28'54"N 13°30'44"E
E11A607E-0B8B-4620-BEDE-F49328FD595E.jpeg
I’m sure they will cover the hole, but nevertheless it should be fairly easy to access the memory modules.
Best,
/Anders

storyteller

Whether the ram is upgradeable or not... think about how nice and clean the configuration will be for VEPro users to have 2 or 3 Mac mini slaves for various orchestral sections. Even at Apple prices, $12k gets you 3 maxed out Mac minis with 64gb each. That's a pretty awesome configuration.

thesteelydane

Whether the ram is upgradeable or not... think about how nice and clean the configuration will be for VEPro users to have 2 or 3 Mac mini slaves for various orchestral sections. Even at Apple prices, $12k gets you 3 maxed out Mac minis with 64gb each. That's a pretty awesome configuration.
Not to mention portable, if you - like me - sort of live in 2 countries at once...

Wunderhorn

Yes, a great machine for slaves indeed. Now we just need a new main machine!

Dewdman42

My thoughts are that they are charging a ridiculous amount for both the ram and ssd upgrades, both of which are kind of mandatory for using as anything other then a web browser.

I could see getting a base model, maybe with the i7, if you need something portable or small as a secondary machine but this will not replace my 2010 12 core macpro.

Olfirf

Not to mention portable, if you - like me - sort of live in 2 countries at once...
Same as the Mac Pro in 2013 in my mind ... for some people, this might be really great and maybe worth the incredible ram and ssd prices. If you were to build a PC, you can also build a fairly small device, but probably it will get a little larger than that. But if that portability aspect is not interesting for you, you are still not getting any reasonably priced configuration from Apple. All I would want is some mid sized PC with at least 4 Ram slots, maybe even some PCIe slots. Would be really easy for Apple to design and add to their product range. But they deliberately don't want to offer that, as you might get a PC from them, spend about 2000€ and do all the upgrades yourself for considerably less. Today, the 2013 Mac Pro is the only PC in their product line that enables you to upgrade Ram and SSD. I suppose it will also be the last one ad as soon as that is clear, I will switch to Windows entirely.

Top Bottom