What's new

2018 Mac Mini

whinecellar

Jim Daneker
Looks pretty good so far - and RAM looks to be standard SO-DIMMs. Pricing will be interesting! Also curious about the daisy-chaining aspect they’re talking about...

whinecellar

Jim Daneker
Yep, if the Thunderbolt ports have separate buses, this likely just saved me from buying a 5-year-old Mac Pro. Heck, if the pricing is right, I may just buy 2 of ‘em and have everything I need in a single rack space! What a killer little mobile rig!

OP
Will Wilson

Will Wilson

All the gear, no idea
Question for me is now how do i make use of my 3 x 1TB SSD currently in my PC? just USB3 -> Sata cables or would a dock be better?

Olfirf

So full pricing is now up:

Fully Specced version:

3.2Ghz 6 core i7
64GB RAM
2TB SSD

£3,769
Yup! Or almost 5000€ ... Hmm, it looks again like last time, I checked with Apple: If you buy a lower spec system the price looks pretty decent. The upgrade to more powerful i7 looks quite ok, still! But as soon as you want more memory or SSD it starts getting irrationally expensive! It looks like the SSD are soldered. Let us see wether you can at least upgrade the Ram on your own (without breaking the warranty?).
It is a shame, as this could be a really good music workstation, way better than a 2013 Mac Pro. But if you have to buy both ram and SSD from Apple and need it maxed out, you will pay way to much ... again ...
Somehow, I am afraid they will do it similarly with the new Mac Pro in 2019.

OP
Will Wilson

Will Wilson

All the gear, no idea
Apples RAM pricing is totally insane in my opinion!
But is user upgradeable so you can get 32GB for about £250 if you do it yourself. Can't find any 32GB SODIMM but guess they will become available in time, might be better getting the 8GB RAM model upgrading the RAM myself.

Olfirf

But is user upgradeable so you can get 32GB for about £250 if you do it yourself. Can't find any 32GB SODIMM but guess they will become available in time, might be better getting the 8GB RAM model upgrading the RAM myself.
Yes, the 32gb SODIMMs should be available until the end of 2018. I read that in another context of the new Intel i9 9900k being upgradable up to 128gb of ram until the end of the year. They will certainly be expensive when new.

Christof

Are you sure the new Mac Mini is user upgradable?
Look at the iMac Pro, no way to open it at home, it's sealed.

Nmargiotta

Composer TV and Advertisement
The real question is do I sell my 2018 15” i9 6 core for this? The MbP is mega loud and your capped out at 32gb of ram, I love the idea of user replaceable for 64gb for a fraction of the cost and....the FAN! Gives you consisten clock speeds , no throttle-gate. My nearly maxed out 2018 15” was $3k MORE than what I just user configured on the 2018 Mac mini . To me just as portable as Id be plugged into a wall anyway when using the UA Arrow (sucks so much power). Portable displays are everywhere now and who know the new iPad Pro May open up the door to a really consistent DuET display over usb C

Top Bottom