2015 POLL: Your preferred DAW/program for work with orchestral libraries?

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by Vik, Jan 2, 2015.

Preferred DAW (or other program) for orchestral sample libraries?

Poll closed Jun 8, 2018.
  1. Bitwig

3 vote(s)
    0.5%
  2. Cubase

261 vote(s)
    39.2%
  3. Finale

1 vote(s)
    0.2%
  4. Fruity Loops

19 vote(s)
    2.9%
  5. Live

21 vote(s)
    3.2%
  6. Logic

150 vote(s)
    22.6%
  7. Pro Tools

27 vote(s)
    4.1%
  8. Reaper

90 vote(s)
    13.5%
  9. Samplitude

3 vote(s)
    0.5%
  10. Digital Performer

44 vote(s)
    6.6%
  11. Studio One

39 vote(s)
    5.9%
  12. Sibelius

6 vote(s)
    0.9%
  13. Sonar

24 vote(s)
    3.6%
  14. Other

3 vote(s)
    0.5%
  15. Dorico (added Oct-16)

3 vote(s)
    0.5%
  16. Notion (added Nov-16)

5 vote(s)
    0.8%
  17. StaffPad (added Nov-16)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  18. Mixcraft (added June-17)

2 vote(s)
    0.3%
  19. Cubasis (added June-17)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  20. Notion iOs (added June-17)

1 vote(s)
    0.2%
  21. Harrison MixBus (added Oct-17)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  22. Propellerheads Record/Reason (added Oct-17)

2 vote(s)
    0.3%
  23. Nuendo (added Oct-17)

3 vote(s)
    0.5%
  24. Magix Sequoia (added Oct-17)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  25. Mackie Tracktion (added Oct-17)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  26. Bitwig Studio (added March -18)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  27. Sagan Technology Metro (added May - 18)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  28. Sonic Score Overture 5 (added May-18)

3 vote(s)
    0.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ranaprathap

ranaprathap Active Member

Sep 27, 2016
    Fruity loops is longer fruity loops, it is FL Studio now. May be someone can edit the original post.

2. juliansader

juliansader Member

Nov 8, 2009
    If I understand correctly, would you like to draw curves like in this GIF?

[​IMG]

(I would be glad to discuss REAPER's MIDI in much more detail, but we are getting a bit off-topic in this thread - perhaps we should move to another thread?)

QLee and jemu999 like this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Vik

Vik Scandi Member

Dec 15, 2013
    In addition to having specific threads about each of the DAWs, and some threads comparing one DAW with another, why not also have an "all DAWs discussed"? This threads could host such a discussion, because it already is about all DAWs. :)

And, by the way (to everybody): since the limit for number of response options now has increased to 100, let me know if you want more DAWs added to the poll.

4. jemu999

jemu999 Active Member

Jun 4, 2011
    Exactly! :2thumbs: How do u do that?? (I'm ok for another thread)

5. BigImpactSound

BigImpactSound Member

Jun 19, 2016
    Belgium
    I use Cubase 6, very stable! I don't find it necessary to upgrade to a newer version...

vewilya likes this.
  6. juliansader

juliansader Member

Nov 8, 2009
    The trick is to customize the editing actions that REAPER's mouse "Smart Tool" performs when you left-click/drag on a CC event 'bar'. By default, the Smart Tool isn't very intelligent, but you can customize it to performs all kinds of useful actions - even custom actions or user-written scripts. To do so, go to Preferences -> Mouse modifiers, and change the actions to something like this: (I hope the screenshot is self-explanatory.)

[​IMG]

In this screenshot, "Context: MIDI CC event" means that the mouse is positioned over a CC event bar. Other contexts include "MIDI CC lane", which refers to open space in the CC lane.

The default action for left-click/drag in the CC event context is "Move CC event on one axis only", which leads to the behavior that you describe above. If you change the action to "Draw/edit CC events" (as in the screenshot), then when you left-click/drag on a CC event, it will instead edit the CC events and you can draw a nice new curve.

Quasar and jemu999 like this.
  7. tack

tack Damned Dirty Ape

Aug 3, 2013
    The color scheme in that screenshot is reminiscent of the ole Sun Sparc CDE desktop circa early 1990's. Ah, life was simpler then.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
    Hafer likes this.
  8. jemu999

jemu999 Active Member

Jun 4, 2011
    Thanks Julian! It does work indeed for CC events. However it seems it makes changing the velocity jump erratically. If I press option while changing the velocity, it becomes smooth again. BTW, I also got some of your scripts to work. Very cool. Too bad V5.28 didn't seem to add your scripts natively...
    Thanks for your help!

9. nightwatch

nightwatch Senior Member

Apr 30, 2012
    It looks like Reaper is really improving. I ignored Reaper at first because it seemed like more of an audio editor. But it looks like they're taking the MIDI side of things more seriously. Is that a fair statement?

10. EvilDragon

EvilDragon KSP Wizard

May 25, 2010
    Croatia
    It's a very fair statement. It even has notation now. :)

11. Yes, apologies. Confusion set in whilst running both Nuendo and Cubase at the same time!!!
    I was indeed referring to Nuendo 7.1.20. Thanks

12. juliansader

juliansader Member

Nov 8, 2009
    REAPER v5.29 has just been released, and the the velocity bug (which was introduced in v5.28, I think) has been fixed.

There is also exciting news for orchestral composers: a new track inspector with articulation management! It is still in beta, but articulation banks for some Spitfire and EWQLSO libraries are already available.

[​IMG]

sazema, Hafer, samphony and 4 others like this.
  13. StevenMcDonald

StevenMcDonald stevenmcdonaldmusic.com

Jul 27, 2012
    No love for Acoustica Mixcraft!? I've been using that for like 6 years. Such an easy to use host that still does everything I want it to and more. I've written so many genres in it for music libraries, films and games.

14. Baron Greuner

Baron Greuner Senior Member

Sep 6, 2015
    Wow!

15. tack

tack Damned Dirty Ape

Aug 3, 2013
    I've been developing an articulation management system similar to the above track inspector. That project beat me to the punch and I wasn't sure if I would bother continuing my effort, even though there are some workflow differences, but I see it's closed source with a restrictive license. So I still think there's some point in continuing mine since it will be, as with all my projects, open source.

Quasar likes this.
  16. Syneast

Syneast Active Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Reaper, cuz I can make it behave pretty much any way I want, and because I can change midi channels per note for libraries without keyswitches. Oh, and I can make it look totally different every week if I get tired of looking at the same theme.

17. Hafer

Hafer Title customized

Oct 14, 2016
    Ah, know that gnawing feeling. Be proud of what you've accomplished and as long as you've fun don't worry 'bout others being on the same or similar track and keep going. Besides, being on the OSS bandwagon is praiseworthy in any case. :thumbsup:

tack likes this.
  18. fgimian

fgimian Active Member

Jul 19, 2016
    For me it's Cubase Pro first and Logic Pro X second. My personal gripe with REAPER is that although it has heaps of functionality, it all seems rushed in and it tries to cater to 100% of scenarios by adding endless configuration options. The menus are just huge and it is imho extremely hard to get to grips with. I believe in the 80 / 20 rule for most things, and this is no exception.

Cubase (for me) is not only the best for orchestral work, but for EDM too. Its automation is brilliant and audio editing is far superior to Logic. The fact it's cross-platform is also a huge draw, especially with the silly stuff Apple has ben doing lately.

Though when all is said and done, you can really use whatever you want. Daniel James who produces amazing music did almost all his work on Ableton Live :)

19. robgb

robgb I was young once

Apr 6, 2016
    Don't get this at all. Studio One works brilliantly with virtual instruments. That's part of the reason I made the switch from Logic.

20. robgb

robgb I was young once

Apr 6, 2016
    I really like Reaper, but find it's multi-out midi system too weirdly complicated. You have to run a midi track AND an audio track and route the midi to the audio. Seems needlessly complicated (although it can be done pretty much automatically) and clutters up the screen with needless tracks.